[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are most handguns so damn problematic? I haven't been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1397814394616.cached.jpg (532 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1397814394616.cached.jpg
532 KB, 2000x1333
Why are most handguns so damn problematic? I haven't been into guns long (maybe a couple years?), and I've bought prob 10 over that time. I swear to you the only ones that didn't have some issue were a Glock & a Sig. And these weren't shit brands I was buying, but Smith's, Kahr & the like.

So either I have extremely shitty bad luck, or there's way too many quality issues with firearms that get passed along as "just the way it is". I'd kinda expect of all things in this world that firearms are held to a way higher standard to, you know, actually work correctly.

So why are things this way?
>>
File: 1464436103453.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1464436103453.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
What issues have you had with them? If you're inaccurate AF, then bench the gun, see that it is remarkably consistent and you just suck. If there are quality issues that actually hinder functionality, then send it to the manufacturer to address.

There is so little information in your post, I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>30319514
Just a bunch of things. Failure to ejects, light strikes, doesn't like certain ammo brands, mag drops, etc. All scattered across all the guns I've had. It was always SOMETHING. To the point where I was coming to expect problems with every new gun purchase.
>>
A nice handgun isn't the simplest machine...

It may seem simple when looking at it, but a shitload of engineering goes into every handgun you buy. These are relatively small pieces of technology with a lot of complex parts that are subject to a lot of force when in operation. Also consider that the fuel source that drives the whole operation can vary slightly from one loading to another, introducing more variables. It just comes down to good engineering & good manufacturing, some companies just do this better than others, period.

I agree with you though, my Sigs and Glock have all been unstoppable, as well as a S&W 686 I had.
>>
File: 1464436119128.jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1464436119128.jpg
65 KB, 600x600
>>30319525
If you buy new, there may be a break in period. My best luck actually came with gently used guns. Could also be mag related, as I *have* seen with my BHP. Ammo related issues also are a common occurence. I usually stick with Fiocchi since it is always cheap and consistent across all my firearms.

Could you name a few of the brands you've owned and parted with?
>>
>>30319543
Oh I'm aware of breakin periods, but these were more like fatal flaws that needed repaired & would've gotten me killed if I had to use them in a self defense situation.

Some of the brands I parted with were Kahr, Smith, Taurus, Beretta. I just bought a Kel-Tec P32, cheap brand I know, but everyone brags on them for being a dependable little pocket gun. And yep, light strikes galore right off the bat.

I'm about to just say fuck it & start buying revolvers. I do love my Sig p238 though so I guess I'll carry it through the summer months here in FL, but I was kinda wanting something I just throw in some gym shorts some days & go.
>>
>>30319702
What Smiths and Berettas?
>>
>>30319488
I find it hard to believe you're the only person in the entire firearms community who has all these issues with handguns.
>>
>>30319702
>Kahr, Smith, Taurus, Beretta, and Kel-Tec
Found your problem. Stick with Glock, H&K, Sig, and Walther.
>>
I've had problems with Taurus, S&W (defender), Kahr, and Walther.

These days I'll stick to Glock, Sig, and HK.

I'm honestly surprised you had issues with the beretta. I've heard of a lot of their guns having issues but never seen them myself.
>>
>>30319760
Bodyguard & Nano. Bodyguard had a mag drop issue. Sent it off, they "repaired" it. Same shit. Those cheap little mag releases are squishy & just cant handle a lot of force or vibrations from a round fired.

The Nano had a shitload of ejection & feed issues. It wasn't every mag, but enough for me not to be comfortable w it.

>>30319780
No doubt.

>>30319781
I'll give you the Taurus & Kel-Tec, but the others are reputable brands.

I know we hate regulations in the firearm community, but I almost feel like there should be some kind of quality czar from the ATF that comes down on manufacturers for quality issues.
>>
>>30319804
>Walther
Bullshit. I have an 80s PPK and a PPQ that are both tanks; you probably just got a lemon or are using their shitty .40 S&W meme models.
>>
>>30319915
>implying things that were high quality 30 years ago will be high quality today.

And

>implying your experience will be exactly the same as everyone else's

I bought a brand new PPQ in 9mm last year and the extractor broke on the second magazine, I got it fixed but it had FTE's afterwards so I ditched it.
>>
>>30319939
That sucks. I know Walther cheaped out on a few of their double stack mags but I've never had a FTE with my PPQ, although I'm using a mk1 (paddle mag release), so maybe there's something different between the PPQ and mk2?
>>
Glock or 1911 for .45 carry
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.