[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Americans ever bring a handgun across the Canadian border?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1391758183959.jpg (132 KB, 690x720) Image search: [Google]
1391758183959.jpg
132 KB, 690x720
Any Americans ever bring a handgun across the Canadian border? I'm going on a trip through the NW and plan on going into Canada for a few days, and I plan on entering and exiting at different places so leaving it at the border would be a pain. I am reading that you have to fill out some forms but how much of a PITA is it and how does it work when you cross, are the border guards shitty about it? The gun is a Glock 20, I have a 10 round mag for it.
>>
>>30311385
Crossing the border with a handgun is a no-no.
>>
>>30311590
Well, that I know is wrong

Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about care to chime in?
>>
>>30311385

Canadian here who has travelled over the border many times with my armed american friends to and from US college.

As long as you declare it and don't try to be a hero by sneaking it in and getting caught you will be fine (possible jail/weapon destroyed at officer discretion).

The paperwork is no more obtrusive or bothersome than a regular customs declaration - literally a few signatures and you are good to go. I believe there is a small fee associated with it but b/c I've never paid it I'm not sure how much. Probably not a lot with our dollar the way it is. Also make sure it is unloaded and trigger locked/in an opaque case.
>>
File: 1466133337710.webm (195 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1466133337710.webm
195 KB, 720x404
>>
Call either CBSA or better, the RCMP and ask. At miminum you'll need an ATT (Authorize To Transport) and they will want to know where you are going and why.
>>
>>30311385
Also, the guards are much more likely to express interest in your firearm and be friendly than be shitty about it or give you a hard time. Generally speaking I've found Canadian border guards friendlier than US ones.
>>
>>30311385

I have looked into this for the purposes of going from Washington to Alaska on a motorcycle trip.

From the 2 hours of research I put in a few years back, handguns were no-no. Long guns that were not on their controlled or restricted list were ok, but had to be trigger locked in a sealed container that they wrapped with a no-tamper tape or something to be checked on the other side when re-entering the US.

I don't think it is as easy as you think.
>>
RCMP Canadian Firearms Program number is 18007314000.

You'll also have to make sure it's not a prohibited handgun, have legal 10 round mags, and obey our stupid transport and storage laws.
>>
>>30311839
Trying to get your /k/omrad put in a Canadian penitentiary. Not cool.
>>
>>30311861
Going into Canada from the US is hilarious. We checked in at the customs 'office' at the dock. It was a telephone on a pole that you call and chat with the person for 30 seconds saying who you are and where you going and they say to have a nice trip.

Coming back into the US, the customs guy that boarded our boat (wearing full blacked out tac gear) went through the whole boat (fridge included) and told us that they guys one pier over are being charged $2000 and held for 8 hours because they had an orange in their fridge (that's a no-no). 100% serious.
>>
>>30311385
You'll need a canadian authorization to transport. You can apply for that online. You'll also need to fill out temp export papers with U.S. customs (must be done in person at a customs office). When you enter canada you'll have to enter the customs office with your authorization paper work, don't take the gun with you. The customs officer will ask to check everything out, follow their directions.

It's a pretty easy process.

>>30311590
Not true.

>>30311868
>handguns were no-no
Not true.
>>
>>30313241
>and told us that they guys one pier over are being charged $2000 and held for 8 hours because they had an orange in their fridge (that's a no-no). 100% serious.
Fucking what? For an orange?
>>
>>30311385
I knew I had the link somewhere

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

IDPA canada has some good references and stories of what to do and not do.
>>
>>30313192
fuck off britbong.

OP, >>30311839 may be right, but literally just fucking call ICE

https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq

they even have a page about it but I'm sure if you talk to a real live human been you'll be able to get more specific knowledge for yourself.
>>
I did it when i was driving through to Alaska.

of course, i had a bunch of shit packed too, even if they wanted to search when i crossed the border, it would have taken them forever.

next time i go up there i'm just going to send it through the post. however.
>>
>>30313335
Muh invasive species.

Also they know not to check for guns because lol America doesn't give a shit, especially the states that border Canada for the most part.

>>30313324
This makes me fantasize that America only has the most confirmed guns because we announce them, and that the rest of the world probably still has literal shitloads that outnumber our stockpiles with billions of illegal weapons of all sorts inclusing machine guns, grenades, anti tank weapons, and even war machines like tanks inna woods or inna basements. Because if you break gun laws anyways, might as well go full blast.
>>
>>30313241
>they guys one pier over are being charged $2000 and held for 8 hours because they had an orange in their fridge (that's a no-no). 100% serious.
they literally ask you to declare if you have any produce. Likely what happened is the retards told them no, they got pulled for inspection, the Canadians found the orange and, iono, his boss was there so he had to flip the fuck out and throw the book at them instead of confiscating the orange and telling them to not be fucking faggots eh
>>
>>30313384
>Muh invasive species.
no, more like muh unchecked crop plague. You get carded for froot going into places like Florida and Cali too.
>>
>>30313423
Yup. I told one of the guys "oh yeah, I remembered about the oranges so I threw them all overboard just before we got in" and he facepalmed and was like "damnit...don't do that. Just declare it and we'll throw it in the trash"
>>
File: FB_IMG_1465931437143.jpg (117 KB, 960x944) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1465931437143.jpg
117 KB, 960x944
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
>>
>>30311868
I know who you are. You visit dbt on /o/ huh?
I miss my bike.
>>
File: DSCF0452.jpg (635 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0452.jpg
635 KB, 1600x1200
I live in Alaska, Glock 20 on left, 29 on right. You can not take a handgun into Canada. With a rifle they make you fill out a form at the border crossing and you can pay the fee with a credit card.
>>
>>30313640
>>30313324
>>30311868
>>30311845
>>30311590

These people are fuckwits.

Crossing you'll be asked if you have a handgun, just say no. No one gives a fuck really.
>>
>>30313640
Um, yeah you can. You have to have a declared reason, it can't just be that you want to. The Canadian national IDPA and IPSC matches are full of Americans who have brought handguns, legally, into Canada.
>>
>>30313849
Is "BEARS!!!!" a valid reason?
>>
>>30313803
Yeah, that's great advice

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/03/nation/la-na-canada-border-guns-20140203

Just don't get caught.
>>
>>30313241
Sounds like the Port Angeles side of the Coho, kek.

To be fair those guys did catch a guy trying to bomb some stuff back about 15 years ago. That's their claim to fame and they still talk about it now.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20121024/NEWS/310249984
>>
>>30313384
In a sense, true.
Canada has may e 1/3 the amount of guns per capita of the states, putting us well above nearly everybody else. That's LEGAL guns.

But I think a couple years back, some dude in the backwoods came up on the RCMP radar for selling guns to bikers.
When they raided him, he had a workshop, and they seized something bizarre like 300 full auto FALs or something equally implausible.

(citation needed, I probably have a shitload of details wrong here)
>>
>>30313953
In Canada? Probably.
It's one of the only reasons that can get you a carry permit, after all.
>>
>>30313803
Yeah, don't do this.
Following the Liberals being elected, them and the media are all riled up and calling this "The Year of the Gun" pretty sure RCMP is on high alert for smuggled firearms this year in particular.
And those Lib fuckers keep taking digs at Harper's Common Sense Firearms Bill. Took us ages to make that much progress and those cunts want to chuck it out.
>>
>>30313849
I must have missed the part when OP said he was traveling back and forth into Canada to attend shooting matches.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.