[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ill make this short /k/ i just recently came into possession
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: picture 411.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg (223 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
picture 411.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
223 KB, 800x533
Ill make this short /k/ i just recently came into possession of a winchester ranger i dont like the finish on the wood any tips on how to do a refinishing job?
> pic related
>>
File: 133.jpg (226 KB, 1232x816) Image search: [Google]
133.jpg
226 KB, 1232x816
>2 hours ago
>No replies

I'm sorry OP. Firstly, I'd say it's never a great idea to refinish an original gun, but, considering it's a newer one, you aren't fucking up too bad.

When I was young and dumb, my 1950 94 had a similar finish which was all original. In my ignorance, I decided I also didn't care for the orange hue, so I stripped it, and hit it with a few coats of stain polyurethane. Don't do that, for the love of god.

Later on, I decided it was time to somewhat rectify that travesty, so I stripped it again, hit it with some deep dark stain, and sealed it with a bunch of rubbings of BLO. If you really want to refinish it, do something like that.
>>
>>30303238
Actually I did this today on a 10/22 stock
Stripped by hand with sand paper, 120 then 300.
Used watco danish oil, followed directions on can.
It turned out pretty well. Although I did this just bc I wanted to go darker but it ended up lighter than original.
Oh well
Cost $15
>>
File: 1392775783726.jpg (59 KB, 470x352) Image search: [Google]
1392775783726.jpg
59 KB, 470x352
>>30304691
wow bumber. I bet you'd rather have gotten a dui instead of doing that. LOL
>>
>>30304691
OP here its not a problem im a patient person and thanks for the advice
>>
File: Screenshot_20160617-001314.png (589 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160617-001314.png
589 KB, 1440x2560
>>30304691
Good info. Thanks for the thread OP.

Really, when I finally pick up a WASR, I was gonna refinish it like this and needed info like that. They have an almost identical finish and I hate it. Would probably just be easier to buy a new set, but they aren't antiques and I could use the project.

>This catptcha
Are you shitting me
>>
>>30305075

Did a new finish on my WASR a few years ago and it looks great.

Sand all wood parts (taken off of gun), wiped off all dust. Mix a small amount of McCormick red food coloring with water, paint on with sponge brush. Apply as many coats as wanted, the more you put the redder it will look when finished. I did 2 and liked it. When applying food coloring/water it may look pink, don't worry as you're putting stain over it. This is just the base coat to give it some extra red. Let it dry before staining.

Step two go with a minwax wood stain, I used redwood color. Apply 1-2 coats or as many as desired, let dry.

Once dry take some Minwax poly seal, I used semi-gloss. Some people use the regular gloss but I didn't want a military rifle looking mirror-shiny. Apply coats letting them dry in between until you reach desired level, buff out with superfine #0000 steel wool.

I'll try and find pics tomorrow.
>>
>>30307141

Here's a picture of the finished product:

https://i.imgur.com/0kpbNGk.jpg?1
>>
>>30303238
that color is hurting my eyes, i feel you OP
>>
File: Rifle_Marlin-1895 (45-70) (2).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_Marlin-1895 (45-70) (2).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>30303238
I refinished my Marlin 1895. Obviously, dismantle the wood completely. Strip and lightly sand the wood. You can raise some dents with a steam iron and damp cloth. Don't use stain from a box store. Invest in a good military stock stain. Don't use any finish with a brush. Only hand rubbed or cloth applied. BLO or tung oil. No glossy finish. You will be happy.
>>
>>30303238
>>
>>30304827
the fuck? Why would any one want a DUI, ever
>>
Remember to always sand wood along the grain.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.