[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun Safety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: fail.jpg (46 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fail.jpg
46 KB, 480x360
Does /k/ support universal gun safety classes?

Where I'm from everyone had firearm safety during 6th grade. It was practically a prerequisite to graduate. The local sheriffs came in and showed us how to properly shoot and maintain everything from their own sidearms to muzzle-loaders. Gun violence in the area that I grew up in is essentially zero. When I went to school in an urban area people thought that it was weird that I've shot, let alone owned guns. Why not teach kids to respect firearms and get away from their idea of guns that they've developed from the media?
>>
No, dont need a friggen speech class to speak freely and ain't need one for guns
>>
>>30292707
Definitely. I am all for everyone having a gun, but they have to make sure they know how to use it.

Like, when you want to drive, you have to get a driver's license, right? You have to pass a test proving you can drive. And when you want to drive bigger/different vehicles (semi trucks or motorcycles) you have to take a special test proving you know what you're doing.

I think it's entirely reasonable to have the same requirements for gun ownership. A basic license gets you semiautomatic rifles and shotguns, and you can get specialty licenses for handguns or automatic rifles.

But as soon as you say the words "gun control," republicans shit a brick and won't stop screaming "muh constitution"
>>
>>30293454
It's called English class. Everyone has taken it. You're just too stupid to recognize it

ABC
>>
>>30293594
It was bait. Using "friggen" and "ain't" while referring to speech class is pretty obvious.
>>
No.

as someone who hunts, i can tell you from first hand experience a hunter's safety course doesn't do shit.

Any test you give that isn't artificially difficult will have no impact on overall safety. people for the most part do not learn for these test, they memorize to pass them and move on. usually forgetting what they memorized afterwords.

Some people can learn to keep their boogerhook off the bang switch fairly easily, others need to pee on an electric fence.
>>
>>30293570
>when you want to drive, you have to get a driver's license, right? You have to pass a test proving you can drive
Only on public roads. Which is the equivalent of a carry license. Never mind that vehicles and guns are VASTLY different in their operation.

Why is it so hard to admit that letting people own what they want on their own property as long as they aren't hurting anyone is a reasonable idea?
>>
>>30292707
I think so.
The idea that every man be armed I believe also comes with the philosophy that every man knows how to safely operate a firearm as well.
>>
>>30293570
>Like, when you want to drive, you have to get a driver's license, right?
You do realize cars are one of the biggest killers in America right? not to mention have you ever driven in a place with any sizable population? nobody fuckin knows how to drive.

also what >>30296460 said.

hows them drivers licenses holdin up champ?
>>
>>30292707
Yes, oh my god, the number of times I have seen someone have a misfire and immediately pull the round out and start examining it an inconvenience or so from their face is unbelievable.

just some basic lessons on what to do if you misfire, how to deal with a jam, always keeping your weapon in a safe direction and how to make sure your weapon is safe and clear. I guarantee it would reduce the number of stupid fucking accidents.
>>
>>30296439
Then wouldn't the logical course of action be to better the course?

I'm all for people having guns, I'm all for hunting. I think people should have some safety training tho.

I'm a vetfag and bypassed hunters safety with my dd214 so I don't know how good/shitty they are.
>>
>>30293570
Once. You pass a test once. No extra classes or reviews of ability, even if you drive for a century afterwards.

Let's not forget that driving is not a constitutional right, whereas firearms are.

And that pesky part where you can still own a car without a license, but will get a fine if caught using it in public. So to use the Orlando example, that shooter would have had an extra fine placed against him had he lived.

But you go on assuming laws stop people from breaking the law.
>>
>>30296439

You are discussing the quality of a safety course, not the necessity of it.
>>
>>30296512
>Then wouldn't the logical course of action be to better the course?
What better course? a 3 page essay on how to cross a fence without blowing your brains out is retarded.

You're given the information, and then you are quizzed on the information. if you want to treat it like school a sub 10 hour course isn't going to cut it. hell a course that takes more than 2-3 is just repeating information. which again, the people who'll never catch the real importance of not blowing your brains on the fence post or avoiding putting a .270 in a .308 are perfectly capable of memorizing information for a test.

yo
>>
>>30296494
Don't forget at 16 you could realistically operate any motor vehicle up to 26,001lbs with just a basic license, provided you do not do it for commercial reasons. That you have to wait until 18.
>>
That's a fucking fantastic idea. Normalize the idea of firearms early on, make sure people have a clear idea of responsible use.
>>
>>30296566
LET US ALSO REFLECT ON THE SHEER AMOUNT OF TRAFFIC LAWS THAT DO NOTHING TO STEM THE RISING TIDE OF VEHICLE DEATHS, MUST MOST RECENTLY BEING TEXTING WHILE DRIVING WHICH IS A PERFECT ANALOG TO THIS GUN CONTROL BS
>>
>>30296554
What if it was like a driver's test and instructor assisted people through actions with say a rubber rifle?

I don't know man. I'm just saying if I'm hunting public land I'd like just a little confidence other people aren't going to shoot me. If they have 100% no training that increases risk.

Compromise: more detailed course for public hunting, no course requirements for private land. Still need tags for both.
>>
>>30296597
Why are you yelling?
>>
>>30296597
Good point. And that those who commit such offenses rarely face more than a fine. Also those who are convicted on traffic crimes rarellose their license and permitted to drive without restrictions. Some even drive while incarcerated as trustees.
>>
>>30296597
are you fucking retarded? i don't think you understand how retarded some drivers are and they'd legitimately run over people if they thought it's okay for them to take their eyes off the road to do some stupid shit. you're operating a fuckhueg chunk of steel moving at 50mph on a public road, and you think its bullshit that you shouldnt be distracting yourself while doing that?
>>
>>30296606
They already do it. the one i went through had several guns without firing pins for demonstration. but you need to remember there are probably 30 plus people all of whom have jobs and lives. your instructors have jobs and whatever building you're using will have it's own schedules. and this is just for hunting. which isn't a right.

For guns, which will have an ass load more people in these classes.

Public ranges are strict on safety, and obvious retards get booted. if you shoot on private land it's your own fault for not watching who you bring.

If someone is criminally negligent they are treated as such.
>>
>>30296597
Those retarded gun laws also help convict people who are not responsible enough to use vehicles, do not know how to use vehicles, and shouldn't not be in control of a vehicles
>>
>>30293454
I can vouch for this. I was given many speech classes, and people seem to find me quite improper at communicating.

I was even given language classes on top of that, of four different types, not counting more meta-ish things of that sort. Yet, people don't understand me, but still manage to find me objectionable often enough.
>>
>>30296991
However you seem to be able to communicate quite clearly and effectively through written text.
>>
>>30296597
It's all about the stats, man. You might be able to drive just fine without traffic laws but the majority of people aren't able to.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (8 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
8 KB, 209x241
>>30298686
Just remember, pic related until shown otherwise.
>>
>>30293570
>Definitely. I am all for everyone having a gun, but they have to make sure they know how to use it.

Fucking this. Get them their stupid background checks and permits, and next time they ask us why we need an "assault weapon", a middle finger should suffice.

If you believe the government doesn't know you have an AR you're incredibly naive.
>>
>>30292707
Do you mean a separate course you have to pay for and get an approved license for?
Fuck no, I'm Canadian and I did have to take one of those, it's an 8 hour bullshit class that could be taught in less than half an hour to anyone who isn't a complete and utter mongoloid, and paying nearly $100 for the fucking privilege of owning a gun is just plain bullshit.

Now if we incorporated gun safety courses into gym class, say for a few days every year have the teacher bring in a few different types of guns and teach the kids how to safely handle them, aim them, potential shoot them, and disassemble them as part of your basic curriculum, I'd be all over that shit.
Teach the kids how to be safe AND expose the kids to guns in a safe controlled environment at an early age so they don't grow up to be scared of them.
>>
>>30299265
The in-school option makes more sense.

Does Canada require a course?
>>
You have to take a firearms safety course in Canada to get a license. If you want to own scary guns like an AR or pistols you have to take another safety course.

I like the program because you have to show that you know how to handle, unload, and clear all different types of guns.
>>
>>30292707
>rade. It was practically a prerequisite to graduate. The local sheriffs came in and showed us how to properly shoot and maintain everything from their own sidearms to muzzle-loaders. Gun violence in the area that I grew up in is essentially zero. When I went to school in an urban area people thought that it was weird that I've shot, let alone owned guns. Why not teach kids to respect firearms and get away from their idea of guns that they've developed from the media?

I think it is awesome. When my dad was a kid they had a shooting club at school, and the shooting range was an in door range under city hall.
> oh no my childruns
>>
I think it would be a great idea to have a class for grade school students to learn the safe use of firearms. Going to school in a large suburban area I didn't have the chance for anything of that sort, but Boy Scouts provided an opportunity I know many of my fellow classmates did not receive.
>>
>>30299548
Yeah, 8 hour course for non-restricted followed by a written and practical exam, an extra 5 hours for restricted with a practical exam but no written one, followed by an "in-theory" one month period that they actually stretch out into four months at the least before they reluctantly mail you your license.
>>
>>30292707
I took hunter's safety when I was 14. What more could be needed?
>>
>>30299636
>before they reluctantly mail you your license.
kek.
>>
>>30296991
Your written communication is pretty decent. to the point that this might be bait.
>>
>>30292707
No. Any additional restrictions are going to be exaggerated until its nearly impossible to get through them. For example they'll make the test so difficult no one can pass it. The test in California is similar to the literacy test they made black people take in order to vote during Jim Crow, and they continue building and building on those small regulations until they become big flaming hoops to jump through. Oh they just changed the law again now you have to do a barrel roll through the hoop.

Slippery slope is not a fallacy, I wonder who wrote that it was..
>>
>>30301122
Valid point. But if it were a part of the standard education, then wouldn't it eliminate the problem?
>>
It should be like sex ed in public schools. You can opt out and teach your kids yourself.

>no registry of people with guns
>less retards shooting themselves
>>
>>30301212
The current regime won't allow anything scaryguns related to be mentioned in schools. They do however allow gay sex to be taught in schools.
>>
>>30292707
>universal gun safety classes
>universal
why, yes. Yes I do.

Gun safety classes in public schools.
Gun safety required for state recognition of private schools.
Fucking fund it.
>>
>>30301387
Safety is key. Both with sex and guns.
>>
>>30301242
This.
makes sense.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.