[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macaroni as CCW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: cheekibreeki.jpg (552 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
cheekibreeki.jpg
552 KB, 1280x853
Hey, /k/omrades.

I just turned 21 today and thus I'm elegible to get a concealed carry gun license. Now, I don't want a whole lot of weapons YET and I wouldn't want to carry something I don't like. Which is, well, most pistols. But I really like Makarov for some reason. I've only shot it a few times, but hey, I like it, it is fairly cheap here and so is the ammo, and it is a relatively small pistol. So, how do you think it would do as a concealed carry?
>>
>>30287764
9x19? go for it. just make sure your safety works well
>>
Depends on your body size/clothing. Its defintely doable as long as youre not rail thin or wear relatively tight clothing. Might not be the most comfortable choice, but being comfortable shooting it is more important. If you can pull it off without printing, go for it.
>>
>>30287764
>But I really like Makarov for some reason. I've only shot it a few times, but hey, I like it, it is fairly cheap here and so is the ammo, and it is a relatively small pistol. So, how do you think it would do as a concealed carry?

Having put 150 rounds through my Mak for the first time the other day, here's how I feel about it: the gun is accurate, shoots fine, and has more than enough power (just shoot the son of a bitch twice if you're worried,) but I have a real problem with how the safety works. Basically, the safety doubles as a decocker. So if you put the safety on, it automagically decocks the gun. There is no way to carry "cocked and locked" and that means your first shot after drawing will always, always be double-action, and the double-action trigger pull on the Makarov is fucking HEAVY. I mean, it's like dragging a fucking piano across the kitchen floor with just your index finger.

If you're okay with that, or you prefer that for "safety," go for it. But as someone who carries a 1911, that drives me fucking nuts.
>>
>>30287796
9mm Makarov, man. 9x18.
>>30287833
Nah, I'm pretty manbear. 6'3" 250lbs. I craft with leather a fair lot, so I can make my own stuff. But care to enlighten me with the "pull off without printing"? Not picking up what you're laying down here.

>>30287841
Yeah, I get ya. It was one of the first handguns I shot, and I was amazed how fucking heavy it pulls. The next pistol I shot was 1911 and it felt like butter compared to Makarov. But since then I've been doing a fair lot of physical work and it's not really that much of a problem with me anymore. Thank you for your advice!
>>
>>30287841
>>30287919
>Double action is heavy
To be fair, each pistol is going to be different, my mak is fine, and so have the ones I've shot before. That said, at least the 90lb pull lowers ND chances.

Regardless, if you're worried about the DA (and/or carrying in the chamber), just get an EFA-2 holster for it.
>>
>>30287841
As some one who's first handgun was a 92fs I prefer DA/SA and just using the da trigger as the safety and am comfortable doing it.

Glock safetys drive me nuts and I don't like frame safety's for a carry gun.
>>
>>30287919
9x18 works too
>>
Thanks for advice, /k/ommandos. If I get the license and the gun, I'll post pics.
>>
>>30288005
>EFA-2 holster

... dude. I... dude. Thank you. Holy fuck, that's *great.* I'll try to pick one of those up as soon as possible.

>>30288024
>As some one who's first handgun was a 92fs I prefer DA/SA and just using the da trigger as the safety and am comfortable doing it.

This is a perfectly valid approach. I admit, much of my worry over carrying my Mak (which I'd like to do) is because I've trained a lot with my 1911, and certain habits have become ingrained in me. The 1911 has the best placed manual safety of all time; my gun has extended controls which makes the typical "rest your thumb on the safety lever" grip even easier to do, and it means that just by grabbing the gun in your standard, accustomed shooting grip (which you've used a zillion times killing cans in your backyard,) you've automagically disengaged the safety. It's very easy. It's also very easy to set off that firm, crisp, light SA trigger before you're fully on-target, so draw practice has to account for when you get your finger into the trigger guard as well. The Makarov requires me to reverse that; pay more attention to flicking the safety off and not worry about hauling back on that trigger hard. So it's mostly a training issue, desu. I bet I could reduce the DA trigger pull with new springs or something too, if I really wanted to.

I've been toying with the idea of just carrying the gun safety off, hammer at half-cock, and practicing cocking the hammer with my thumb on the draw. But how will I remember which draw to use in a stress situation - will I remember which gun I've got? I dunno. Simple solution would be to use the Mak as an ankle carry, which would involve an extra step in drawing, which would cue different muscle memory on the draw.
>>
>>30287764
21? I'm sorry you live in a shitty state. Can you carry a Mak? Sure, but there are better options out there. I'm carrying a Bersa Thunder so it isn't like I have room to talk.

Make sure you don't wear tight clothes.

>>30288637
Practice. Lots and lots of practice. Buy some snap caps and practice drawing and firing. One you get the rhythm down in drawing and firing go to a range and practice drawing and firing with live ammo.

Before long everything you do will just come naturally. This is the reason I haven't replaced my Thunder. After a decade of carrying it I cannot get comfortable with anything else.
>>
>>30287764
I cc my mak sometimes, its really not bad or heavy. Its nice little pistol that'll get the job done, I carry with one in the chamber and safety off.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.