[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do soldiers deal with insects and bug bites?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: 1423971267688.jpg (697 KB, 2048x1153) Image search: [Google]
1423971267688.jpg
697 KB, 2048x1153
When you're in the field no doubt you'll be eaten alive by mosquitoes. But eventually does the body build some sort of immunity that makes the bites, and reactions not as bad? I'm still a boot, but some of the guys in my unit have mentioned that SF types dunk their uniforms in bug repellent overnight to help with that.
>pic sortve f related
>>
>>30196561
well it's just like building an immunity to bullets, you have to start small with .22lr
>>
>>30196561
they simply shoot the insects
>>
>>30196561
uniforms are coated in permathrin hence why they have a shelf life, and their only serviceable for like 6 months or some bullshit.

Theres also the old 90's permathrin bags and shit you might be able to get ahold of through supply, but i doubt it I only saw one and its just to show what the fuck it was and how to use it, but essentially its bag full of chemicals you put your uniform in and it makes it bug repellant for some time, and give you cancer.

Theres a reason why there are uniform standards in the field. Boots need to be bloused and tucked in. Blouses need to have the sleeves down and not loosened, velcro needs to be tight and the front zippered and buttoned.

The human body kind of builds its own natural deterent to insects with its body odor. One could aide in this by eating a lot of garlicy foods.

Otherwise its good ole off, or whatever the army's bullshit brand of it is that hopefully supply gets you and doesnt fuck you over.

Also when you go anywhere with bugs always bring your mosquito net.
>>
>>30196684
Hi antman
>>
>>30196684
And thread/
>>
insect bites was the primary reason the military moved towards a smaller caliber cartridge in the 60s and 70s. the vietnam conflict proved that ammo was limited, and when soldiers had to waste it on shooting the jungle bugs, they were left with less for the enemy. 5.56 was determined to be good enough velocity-wise to deal with most insects, and still have reliable wounding damage on little asian men
>>
>>30196561

I just use bug spray, or for maximum space and weight savings just use repellent wipes.
>>
>>30196695
sounds legit
>>
File: 1454571346773.jpg (63 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
1454571346773.jpg
63 KB, 550x448
>>30196568
>>
File: camel-spider.jpg (32 KB, 395x296) Image search: [Google]
camel-spider.jpg
32 KB, 395x296
>>30196561
We paid a guy over $50 to eat a camel spider raw. He puked after. It was great.
>>
>>30196561
Generally in involves not being a bitch.
>>
>>30196695
kek
>>
>>30196561
not to sound like i'm shitposting, but this is just one of many problems that one has to overcome.
when folks are shooting at you, you naturally put things in perspective by threat level. sometimes soldiers look forward to actions that get their minds off more mundane discomforts.
try not to make it more of a problem than it is.
>>
>>30197991
>hurr durr enlisted are supermen and operational effectiveness is always 100%

eat matchheads and check your crotch/ankles/waist for ticks
>>
>>30198003
insects always go for the sweet ones first, always
>>
>>30198022
This, the best insect repellent is half tenting with someone who has a shitload of bites already.
>>
>>30196561
Back when the JWTC (I never went personally) was still in Panama, the training cadre had this guide:

>wash uniforms with a few books of matches (for the sulfur) before going to field
>line seams of uniform with issue repellant
>use issue repellant on all exposed skin except face

Dudes usually brought a few cans of commercial spray repellant as well. Everything went better from inception. I don't ever remember bugs being too much of a problem.
>>
File: happy-bear-2gy0xy7.jpg (307 KB, 640x328) Image search: [Google]
happy-bear-2gy0xy7.jpg
307 KB, 640x328
>>30196695
i haven't laughed at anything on 4chan this hard for a while. Thanks.
>>
Historically speaking they don't.
Death by bites was real yo
>>
File: 1464398696962.jpg (74 KB, 600x705) Image search: [Google]
1464398696962.jpg
74 KB, 600x705
>>30196603
This. Clothes treated at the factory with permethrin not only repel but also kill ticks, mozzies, chiggers, etc. for like 90 washings or something crazy. I use a spray can of permethrin on my boots when I go innawoods and drench my pant legs with deet from the knee down. Most ticks come into contact with you at about ankle level. I also coat all exposed skin liberally with deet including face and ears. I rarely have any bites despite a lot of time spent in the wilderness.
>>
>>30196603
It's only cancerous if you eat your uniform. Where do people believe this shit?
>>
>>30196561
I hear putting dryer sheets in your shoulder pockets should help, but I haven't tried it yet. Or you can just pack bug spray with you next time you get out to the field.
>>
File: wYefJAB.jpg (1 MB, 4448x1659) Image search: [Google]
wYefJAB.jpg
1 MB, 4448x1659
>>30196561
Its called not being a lil bitch.
>>
>>30197929
FUCK THAT
>>
>>30196561
You do like you do when camping. You spray down clothes with bug repellent, you wear bug/sun screen, and you wear a face net if it's bad enough (which has the bonus of being camo for you). If you're in deep woods or swamps, that is exactly the time where blousing boots makes sense to keep creepy crawlies out.

Fortunately, bugs aren't a huge issue in either Afghanistan or Iraq, so most people don't deal with that. Except for camel spiders- in which case bullets and fire is appropriate.
>>
>>30196561
Uniforms used to be coated in permethrin, but it gives you cancer or whatever. Now just spray your shit with bug spray and you're gtg.
>>
>>30198086
Does your face go numb from that like mine does? I found an old can of bug spray with deet in it and my whole face went numb
>>
>>30198831
There was a safety recall of military DEET creams like at least 5 years ago.

Enjoy your tumors.
>>
>>30196561
Tropical US Commonwealth fag here, wear long sleeves, DEET bugsprays, eucalyptus or citronella oils or have some bravelet with said oils above. Works like a charm.
>>
>>30198086
Capped because useful. Thanks anon.
>>
>>30196561
Swede here, we mostly deal with mosquitoes and gnats.
A good net ,all covering, fairly thick clothing, djungle oil and your natural skin oils will keep you pretty safe from the former.
Field shirt or gloves with thinner parts for breathing will get bitten through.

There is no escaping gnats, they crawl through nets and under clothes. When it's bad you will get big sores on your neck and forearms because they take a small piece of flesh instead of just poking through the skin.

I have been on exercises where it was very hard to eat outside because every surface was coated with gnats. We had to quit due to safety concerns once because they were getting in peoples eyes and eyepros in such quantities it was practically impossible to see what you were shooting at.
>>
>>30198843
It wasn't a cream, it was a spray.
>>30198052
This guy knows what's up
>typhus
>malaria
>dengue fever
>yellow fever
And Spanish flu I think. Bugs fuck shit up
>>
bug spray
>>
>>30196561
when my dad and uncles fought in Bosnia they resorted to using plants and flowers, they had plants for just about everything i know they used yarrow for wounds and lemon mint for bugs
>>
>>30196695
Kek'd
>>
>>30201750
>muslim
>bro
Error, error, does not compute.
>>
>>30198843
I'll take Cancer 20 years from now over the Malaria a bunch my unit got in Korea last year.
>>
>>30203277
> Being a dipshit
Some Muslim Kurds I know were total bros, don't be a fag anon
>>
File: 1437182899688.jpg (121 KB, 960x774) Image search: [Google]
1437182899688.jpg
121 KB, 960x774
I was in the Amazon for a month (nothing compared to what soldiers have gone through) and you eventually stop noticing the bites.
>>
Is it just coincidence that all the training areas, and bases just happen to be infested by stinging bugs straight out of Klendathu..?
>>
>>30196561
our uniforms were soaked in a stronger than deet substance i forget the name. we had to let them fully dry before we could wear them or rashes and poisoning occured
>>
>>30205279
cheap land
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.