[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Level 4 plates vs .458 Socom HP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Will .458 SOCOM hollow point penetrate NIJ level 4 plates?

And do Military grade AP rounds of 7.62x54R penetrate Level 4 plates (when they are rated to with stand hits from 30/06 Armor piercing)?
>>
>>30196426

No and no.
>>
>>30196432
I thought the newest Russian 7.62x54Rmm have the ability to penetrate ceramic plates rated level 4.

And how come .458 Socom wont penetrate level 4 plates, or does .50BEOWULF penetrates?
>>
>>30196467
Lack of velocity.

Energy is a measure of ONE HALF of an objects mass, but the SQUARE of its velocity.

Level III is rated for M2 ball (ONE hit). Can't be bothered to actually calculate anything since I am on my phone. For sake of simplicity, 30-06 will have a muzzle energy of 3800-4000 ish joules.

By comparison, .458 SOCOM will top out around 3500.

Now, muzzle energy doesn't tell the whole story, as obvviously bullet composition plays a factor--- but assuming all things equal you get the idea.

To get an idea of what would in fact ventilate a level 4 plate, look to some of the not only big, but fast calibers too. .408 Cheytac is pushing 3500fps with 300gr copper solids around 11k joules
>>
>>30196467

>I thought the newest Russian 7.62x54Rmm have the ability to penetrate ceramic plates rated level 4.
You thought wrong.

>And how come .458 Socom wont penetrate level 4 plates
Because .458 isn't going to penetrate anything, especially if it's hollowpoint. I don't want to be mean but you clearly don't know much about the subject. Like this question is seriously so ignorant it sounds like trolling. .458 is essentially semi-auto 45-70. .45-70 is big and slow. Big and slow doesn't penetrate body armor. It just doesn't. Same reason shotgun slugs don't penetrate anything. Also level 4 body armor is ridiculously good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vp_1p62Okk

There is video of level III armor stopping some solid copper .458 that will penetrate WAAAAY the fuck better than any hollowpoint. So a significantly better projectile and a significantly worse plate, and it didn't do shit.
>>
>>30196600
Forgot a sentence.... But in case you couldn't figure it out/don't know

That 1/2mass and velocity squared values are multiplied together to calculate kinetic energy (joules)
>>
wide, fat, and heavy is awful for penetrating plates, but you'll knock the guy over maybe

level IV is rated for .30-06 AP, so no, 7.62x54R AP probably wouldn't
doubly so if by AP you just mean steel core light ball
>>
>>30196609
so if that thing can't even penetrate a lvl 3 steel plate, what hopes will it penetrate a bear skull?
>>
>>30196815
great, because a bear skull is a lot softer than ceramic or steel plates
>>
>>30196822
no man, all the people have said with certainty that bears and especially bear skulls are so hard, that you will need a 20mm to even pierce it.

The only thing stronger than a bear's skull is a crazy man that's very high on drugs. It's said you will need an entire battalion magdumping into him in order to drop him, man!
>>
>>30196795
I met that new Russian youtube video shit from 2011 or 2014 it supposed penetrated the IBA or the IOTV with plates.
>>
File: 7_62x54_BP_2.jpg (20 KB, 401x380) Image search: [Google]
7_62x54_BP_2.jpg
20 KB, 401x380
>>30196426
>Will .458 SOCOM hollow point penetrate NIJ level 4 plates?
No. But back face deformation in case of the ceramic plate would be damaging and potentially even lethal.

>do Military grade AP rounds of 7.62x54R penetrate Level 4 plates
No. Most potent in this area 7.62x54R AP ammo have steel cores (B-32, 7H26) and in the range of the M2 .30-06 AP.

Russians don't make equivalent of M993 tungsten carbide core ammo in 7.62x54R. They do equivalent of M995 in 5.45x39 though (7H24), this ammo can be threat to level 4 plates.
>>
Can 7.62 Nato M933 and 5.56 Nato M995 penetrate NIJ Level 4 plates?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.