[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reloading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Alchemymachine.jpg (65 KB, 793x594) Image search: [Google]
Alchemymachine.jpg
65 KB, 793x594
Does anyone use these here? thinking about getting one. Am I fucking up?
>>
>>30181384
If you think starting with a 1050 is good than go for it. Keep in mind they don't have any of the Dillon lifetime warranty and you probably will fuck it up.
>>
>>30181384
everyone seems to be a fan of whatever brand theyre using themselves. the negative to dillion it seems is the price.
>>
File: 1464812630709.jpg (41 KB, 653x574) Image search: [Google]
1464812630709.jpg
41 KB, 653x574
>>30181384
ok guys, what should I get for a first time reloding kit?
I want to reload some pistl rounds, like 8mm Nambu and rifle rounds like .223 and .44-40

so i´ve set it down to 2 kits from LEE

> 4x Turret Auto-Index Deluxe
> 50th Anniversary Kit (Single Stage Press)

bet sets cost me around 200 buckerinous over here in europe

what would be a better kit to start with?

I really like the idea of the autoturret, big pluspoint for quickchange-die system

but, the auto index is faster compared to the single stage one

pls help
>>
>>30181553
Get the lee classic cast turret press, not the delux model. its a few bucks more and a much nicer press.

The turret is nice because all your dies are pre set in a turret, caliber changes take seconds and you can use it as a single stage if you like. I dont ever use the auto indexing. I size, decap and reprime my brass as I shoot it. once I have enough built up to reload I just thumb the turret back and forth between the powder through expander die and the bullet seating die. easy peasy.
>>
>>30182294
what´s the difference between those too?
>>
>>30181384
The 650 is more than enough and can easily crank out 800 rounds per hour. I love mine. I've had it for like 4 years.
>>
>>30182519
delux is made of cheap potmetal and has less clearance than the cast press which is only $15 more. The cast press has a much better primer collection system- maybe one out of a thousand doesnt get collected. With the delux(cheapo) press, only 1 out of every 3 primers decapped go where they should.
>>
Been asking about this and making an 8mm mauser light load with 6 grains of unique and an 8mm nambu bullet.

Generally for squirrel or plunking.

Waddya think?
>>
>>30182606
I have a buddy with a 650. Seems to work just fine.
>>
>>30181384
The Hornady Lock-N-Load BTFOs the Dillon's in almost all ways. Powder Thrower is better
>>
>>30181384
You guys can buy you're propresives, buy if im checking my single stage every round and still get .005 + or - on some rounds after checking each one. God help you on your 800 rpm machines,
>>
>>30183881
I'd go for 9 or 10 grs of unique, that is what I use in 7.62x54 with a 90gr bullet for yard varmints. 6 is a very small charge.
>>
>>30184073
This is going off a post I read on .30-30owners.com. it was the .30 wcf short range that fired a 110gr cast lead at 1100 fps. With 5 or 6 grains of pistol powder
I'm new to reloading so if you say 10 unique then k but aren't you afraid the powder won't burn fast enough and blow up your barrel. What type bullet you use?
>>
>>30184897

My lyman manual has loads for 7.62x54 with unique that go up to twelve gr with a heavier bullet. Your 8x57 can handle higher pressures than the x54.

Don't trust forum advice, including mine, worth spit. Buy a hornady and a Lyman manual. Both are very diverse and have a lot of good information.
>>
>>30184035
wat
>>
>>30181384
I pimp a XL650. Works really well. Makes reloading 9mm worth it. If you reload something a bit more expensive, you'll recoup the cost almost overnight.
>>
>>30185124
He means that he is getting plus or minus five thousandths of an inch difference in concentricity of the round even if he is trying to minimize it on his single stage press. He then further states that if that is what he is getting on his single stage press, which should minimize this from happening, that it will be much much harder to do on a progressive press.

>>30184035
What press do you have?
>>
>>30181384
if you want a progressive Dillon then get a 650

the 1050 is for making vast amounts of ammo and people who need the special features
which you don't if you start reloading

if you want to go cheaper then think about a 550

if you still want a progressive press on the cheap side then get a Lee Loadmaster

they run you at 250$ and open you up to rather fast reloading for little money

however quality wise they are worlds away from Dillon and Hornady
third of the price though
>>
>>30184035
I can't imagine most are reloading match ammo on their progressives, just this side of GP11 is probably what most are after. Not the best but for about the price of cheap plinking fodder.
>>
>>30181384
I'd start out with a single stage or maybe a turret. I also recommend the Lee classic cast.
Progressive presses are like little factories. It's slow to set up and adjust everything, but then you can crank out hundreds of consistent rounds.
If you are testing or making small batches of different loads, a single stage or turret can be much more efficient. Changing calibers on a progressive often requires expensive shellplates or adapters and is slow. They only pay off if you are making hundreds of rounds of the same loading in a session.
>>
>>30182294
This sound like good advice. I've got a Lee classic cast single stage and think it is great. If you are loading small batches of weird ammo single or turret is the way to go.
>>
IMO, everyone should start with single stage, as even if you're going to "out grow" it, it's still useful for load development and other stuff not well suited to do on a progressive. They aren't expensive anyway.

I also think that turrets have been rendered mostly useless with quick release busings that work some if the higher end single stages that have removable die bushing.
>>
File: Cirno_THPW2.png (183 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Cirno_THPW2.png
183 KB, 800x600
>>30181384
Why does the thumbnail remind me of three cirnos in a row
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.