[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LE training ammunition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 992247.jpg (800 KB, 2200x1650) Image search: [Google]
992247.jpg
800 KB, 2200x1650
223, 62gr OTM, Muzzle velocity checks out. /K/ommandos, how does this compare to Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm Ball, Enhanced 5.56 mm Carbine, MK318 MOD 0 ?? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900694199/winchester-le-training-ammunition-223-remington-62-grain-open-tip
also general 5.56 NATO ballistics thread
>>
>>30176204
Curious why it says training use only? Guessing these aren't crimped and don't have primer sealant?
>>
The projectile may not be approved for defensive use by departments.

Example: we use Ranger ball for training and Ranger HPs in the field.
>>
>>30176352
The reason is the same as why some pistol ammo hollowpoints are training or target only; the open tip is there for the sole purpose of providing a better center of gravity for ballistic purposes. Hollowpoints for defensive purposes is scored, notched, and bonded to provide reliable expansion and penetration. Hollowpoints that are meant for target shooting are just punched or swaged to be hollow with no other processing. So, using training hollowpoints for defensive purposes will still hurt, but it won't be nearly as effective as properly manufactured hollowpoints.
>>
>>30176577

Listen to this man, OP. I had a friend acting stupid with my AR, pointing it at me and asking me if I'd suck his dick if it was the only way to save my life.

Little did he know the gun was loaded with 69gr SMKs, open tip match bullets not rated for self defense. No way I was going down like that, so I dared him to shoot me center mass.

That little fuck actually pulled the trigger. I won't lie, OP. Stung like a motherfucker. But just by flexing my pectoral muscles really hard, I was able to stop the bullet. Flattened out harmlessly less than 1cm below the skin.

TL;DR: Unless you're using actual self defense ammo or the real FMJ just like the military uses, you'll be able to block a lot of calibers by lifting a lot of weights.
>>
>>30176704
reported
>>
>>30176925

Don't make hyperbolic and poorly informed decisions regarding the effectiveness of OTM bullets then.
>>
Literally the price of M855. I don't see the point unless you want purple brass.
>>
>>30176962
Show me a pic of the wound and the bullet, faggot
>>
>>30176704
holy shit, you are autistic as fuck
>>
>>30177166
Because it's not M855 at all. Same bullet weight, different construction. OTM is a world apart from steel penetrator fmj.
>>
>>30177216
>>30177236

Anons, I think it might have been a horseshit story used to poke fun at the post implying that a 62gr OTM bullet isn't going to work as a self defense round.

>>30176204

OP, probably no gel tests for this yet, and not sure why it's marked training only. Federal has a similar 62gr OTM though, so I'd expect similar results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRB0LwiNz24&t=1m34s

I wouldn't hunt with it because of jacket separation, and 30" penetration might be a bit much for home defense use, but if someone breaks into your home carrying a car windshield in front of them, it will _probably_ work.
>>
OP here, I couldn't find any data on the bullet itself other than it being 62gr OTM. Because the MK 318 Mod 0's composition is specific to defeating barriers, I wasn't sure if anyone had more info on it. Much thanks you magnificent bastards
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.