[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to Conceal Carry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
Hello,

The /k/ommandos have been very helpful in my journey to be a non-fag that takes responsibility for his own security. I applied for my license to carry recently. I thought it would take two months to get, but it only took 3 weeks.

My problem is I do not have a holster, clip holder, or gun belt. I have no idea how to select one. I am carrying a SA 9mm subcompact, and I would like to carry one extra magazine (somebody here recommended carrying a spare in case the one in the gun fails, and that seems like great advice).

I intend to carry inside the waistband. If it affects my options, I'm pretty fat (230 lbs, 6 ft). I am working on that, but that's where I'm at now.
>>
>>30098233
side hip IWB works best for me. I'm about your build. I used to carry at 4-5 o'clock but my shirts get tight where when I bend over/do anything so it prints easy.

get a nice holster custom fit for your gun specifically. no "Size 4" Uncle Mikes holsters, whatsoever.

Hybrid holsters are pretty comfy but so are straight leather ones. You may need to try a couple. Crossbreed is one of my favorite, but Garrity's Gunleather, Bianchi, and many, many other brands work good as well.

A gun belt isn't 100% required as much as a nice comfy holster, but, over time, I would get one that doubles as a dress belt. Make sure to get a size or two too big with the belt. you'll need extra room with the gun.

read a lot of forum posts and try to visit some gunstores and see what options they have in store you can mess with. But the holster game is an expensive one. You'll likely have 2-3 50-100$ holsters at the end of it all, and you'll settle on one. Try to sell the others online. I think there's a holster equipment exchange out there somewhere, specifically for this purpose.
>>
>>30098233
Sharing you pants with a gun is a very personal thing, what works for the loudest voices may not work for you. Spend about 1/5 of the price of your gun on a good holster, and expect to try different good holsters until you find one that works for you.
>>
>>30098233
Be prepared to buy multiple holsters before you find your favorite. Like the other anon said, its a very personal thing. I carried on a ayylmao gear hholster for about a year and decided it wasn't really my thing. I switched over to a Tulster index holster and I love it. Try a few ddifferent styles and see what you like. Don't go cheap on your gear. Anything that isn't specifically made for your gun will likely be shit. You're going to gate carrying fir a few months, but after that you'll feel naked without it. Also, I'd definitely feel a good gun belt. Regular belts just aren't firm enough imo.
>>
>>30098233
Just buy an alien gear.
>>
>>30098601
God, I butchered that post. Sorry anon, im drunk and phoneposting.
>>
>>30098615
My alien gear didn't really ever break in like I thought it would. It kinda just broke over time.
>>
Is there a particular material that is more comfortable or durable?
>>
>>30098233

Try black arch holsters. Great price point, I think they have free shipping going on now.
>>
File: IMG_0458[1].jpg (131 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0458[1].jpg
131 KB, 1024x768
>>30098753
it really depends on your opinion. smooth leather is comfy, but they are also slippery, so you need to use the beltloops to anchor it down. Hybrid holsters with a rough leather backing are usually okay in comfort and offer a solid platform with minimal wiggle. Nylon is, in general, shit. Kydex in my opinion isn't very comfy at all given that it has basically no give, and is slippery just like the smooth leather. But kydex does offer the snap and retention of a perfect form fit, which you won't get as much with leather.

one thing to consider, is that most IWB holsters use clips that go on the outside of your belt. Crossbreed offers a velcro option, where if you add a strip of velcro to the inside of your belt in the right area (or have a belt with soft hook velcro along the inside), you can attach these "v-hooks" to the inside of the belt to prevent the holster from coming up when you draw, and they are invisible to other people.

that said, the only people looking for those clips on belts are other CCW people and cops.
>>
>>30099089
>beltloops to anchor it down
I meant anchor it down so it doesn't slide along the direction of your belt. kydex and smooth leather can shift but a rough leather will stay relatively put horizontally. Most will stay put vertically as you draw.
just my experience.
>>
File: IMG_1676.jpg (147 KB, 1215x842) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1676.jpg
147 KB, 1215x842
>>30099089
Those crossbreed style clips pop off pretty easily. Wouldn't really trust them to retain a $500-$1000 bullet launching machine. Soft loops (aka pull the dot snaps) + Kydex are a GOAT combo.
>>
File: 1447454808016.jpg (536 KB, 2509x1673) Image search: [Google]
1447454808016.jpg
536 KB, 2509x1673
How much does concealed carry affect the way you guys dress?

not /fa/ just curious
>>
Get prepared to shop a few different holsters, I have to meet someone after a year of CC that has purchased only one holster. Also holsters may vary based on your clothing variations.
>>
>>30099229
to each their own, but I've never had a problem with the clips or the velcro ones. I think it's the massive rough leather bit grabbing on behind the pants and the tension applied by the belt preventing the holster from wanting to move.

but by all means, if one likes the loops more get them. there are many holsters, like what you posted, which are very nice.

OP if you have friends with guns do not feel embarrassed to ask them to try on their holster. I'd certainly let my friends try my selection so they don't have to drop a ton of money buying one of each flavor.

also, it should be mentioned that I've never been let down by a holster I paid more than $50 on.
>>
>>30098753
In my opinion the "comfyness" of holsters is pretty subjective. A lot of people who carry in leather holsters think kydex is uncomfortable, but having carried in kydex for a while, it's really no big deal. With a no-sweat-shield type holster, the actual material of the holster barely makes contact with bare skin, it's mostly touching my boxers. A metal slide on skin is not really uncomfortable either unless you're unused to it.
>>
>>30099279
Even when I was carrying a full size 1911 it didn't affect what I wore much. I carry a walther PPS now and don't have to give any consideration to my clothing.
>>
File: 2015edc.jpg (801 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
2015edc.jpg
801 KB, 1280x960
>>30099229
I could remove the clips entirely and it would still stay in place without an issue.
>>
File: 1414738489630.jpg (62 KB, 480x521) Image search: [Google]
1414738489630.jpg
62 KB, 480x521
>clip holder
>clip
>>
>>30099315
That's good. I suppose this varies based on belt tightness and other factors as well. That said I hate to take chances with this stuff and pull the dot snaps are both convenient as fuck and nearly impossible to pop off unintentionally.
>>
>>30099279
for me, it's frustrating. a simple t-shirt hugs my waist area due to my Murica Gut(tm), so I am very self-conscious with my IWB stuffs. I carry a Walther PPS as well. I recently shifted to a 3 o'clock holster position since my arm covers up any minor printing I do.

But I needed to grab larger pants and some t-shirts don't allow me to carry IWB. I'm considering getting an LCP or similar to shove into my pocket instead, since something is better than nothing.
>>
>>30099348
Speaking of which, what does /k/ think of the clipdraw.

Gimmicky or utilitarian and minimalist?
>>
>>30099392
Really not necessary unless you're some kind of narc cop. I always wonder why people want to carry some fucked up way like a mexican junky, when there are perfectly fine holsters for almost every scenario.
>>
>>30098233
Buy this belt:
https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-belts/strongest-gun-belt,biothane-belt,biothane-gun-belt,non-leather-belt,ccw-belt

And buy a holster from these guys:
http://stealthgearusa.com/

Don't buy cheap knock off holsters like alien gear, buy once, cry once.
>>
>>30099392
I would not carry any gun where the trigger guard was not completely covered.
>>
>>30098601
>Be prepared to buy multiple holsters before you find your favorite.

I back this. While I don't carry, I have a non-/k/ommando friend who does. He told me recently that he figures he has owned at least two holsters for each of the four guns he has carried. He said he would find one that would work, use it for a while, and then find one that worked better.

Right now for his compact XD, he's using a simple all-leather IWB, but for his Dan Wesson 1911 he has a Galco King-Tuck
>>
Echoing the other posters, you will likely buy multiple holsters before you find one that you feel comfortable with. N82 Tactical is the one I settled on (3rd holster -- you learn your own likes and dislikes through daily use unfortunately), and even though I had to settle for their "Original Tuckable" model which looked less secure than the "Professional" one I wanted, I have been very happy with it. They have a Professional model for your SA which, while pricey, looks quite nice. But as I said, I've had no complaints with my more 'base model' version. So I would give N82 Tactical a look to see what you think.
>>
>>30098233
A sturdy belt is even more import for the portly gentleman. I like A&G Gunleather, I have three of their belts, one is around ten years old and still going strong. I get them in horsehide with a plastic stiffener for maximum rigiditude. Custom gun belts don't wear out after a year like department store belts, so don't be afraid to spend >$100.

Theres plenty of good holster makers out there nowadays, just don't get the name brand mass market type, they all suck. I have a comp-tac minotaur, which is great, but you can find that style from independent craftsmen.
>>
>>30099571
>A sturdy belt is even more import for the portly gentleman. I like A&G Gunleather, I have three of their belts, one is around ten years old and still going strong. I get them in horsehide with a plastic stiffener for maximum rigiditude.
Thanks, anon. Not OP but I'm also new to CC and a portly guy who's working on becoming more /fit/ I was curious in regards to what are good belts.
>>
File: CabinCarry.jpg (243 KB, 1177x733) Image search: [Google]
CabinCarry.jpg
243 KB, 1177x733
>>30099605
>I was curious in regards to what are good belts.

Something solidly made. No flimsy cloth belts.

I personally have a decent thick leather belt I use when I open carry. It's the only one I own that I can trust to support the weight of a handgun and a magazine.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.