[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are mosin nagants really a good rifle? From what I've seen,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: mn-m44.jpg (362 KB, 2485x794) Image search: [Google]
mn-m44.jpg
362 KB, 2485x794
Are mosin nagants really a good rifle? From what I've seen, they're dependable, rugged, accurate, and durable rifles. Cabelas makes ammunition for them for a decent price and I can get one for about $150. Should I, or shouldn't I? I'm 19, live with my parents in Pennsylvania, may or may not move to Ohio in a few years, and this is my first gun purchase. I have experience with firearms, including bolt action rifles
>>
>>29981914
no, they aren't. stop this fucking meme.

They are an economical weapon. That's it. It's the only reason the russians used it. It was just barely reliable and accurate enough, and had a big military round that could be damaging in some way against other armies at the time.

every other fucking bolt action that other armies used at the time were much better. mauser, springfield, enfield etc
>>
>>29981914
not inherently awful but their biggest selling point was they were a full size rifle that cost 20-26cents a round to shoot. Surplus has dried up and with the wars in the mideast and instability in the baltics it will likley never be very cheap again.

So that all said, not a bad rifle but they and their ammo are nearing the price at which you are better off just picking up a run of the mill cheap deer rifle. It will most likely be more accurate, have a better action and cost about the same to shoot.

If you want one because they are old and have some history to them get one though.
>>
>>29981914
They just fine.

There's a backlash against the meme but they're fine weapons. 54r is plenty good, and decent examples of the gun will shoot 1.5-2 MOA.

They can still be had for cheap, and although 54r isn't as cheap as it used to be... it's still plenty cheap
>>
>>29981914
Okay, so if this is your first gun purchase and you haven't fucked around with guns:
>might as well get a cheap .22, plink around for a little bit
>get a 9mm or .380 pistol and shoot around
>basically just familiarize yourself with guns - learn them inside and out, learn to clean and take care of them

good luck, and welcome to the exciting realm of firearms.
>>
>>29981946 bro I've never seen anyone get so offended by a meme. I got this from demo ranch actually, where he let it soak in a pond then proceeded to empty the clip into said pond.

>>29981952 I'm hoping to get one soon and hopefully can buy the ammo in bulk too. I want one because of the history behind it, and also because they're cheap as of right now.

>>29981967 cabelas had the ammo decently cheap, I can't remember the price per round count but it wasn't horrible.
>>
>>29982023
I've fucked around plenty with guns, I got my first .22 when I was 10 and have worked up since. I'm decent at cleaning and caring for guns, so I think I'll do fine. I do want to get a handgun too though
>>
Tbh while they may not be the best milsurp bolt action they probably have the best cost-to-quality ratio of any of them.
>>
>>29982052
ah, 10-4, copy that anon. Well, you probably want to be a handgun first desu. You can CC a handgun, thus when jamal and tyrone try to rob you at the gas station you can defend yourself. Handgun first, then a Mosin
>>
OP here. I was also considering a Kar98k, it's only a couple hundred more. Didn't really look much into its specs. Opinions?
>>
>>29981952
This is 100% correct. It and its ammo were good for the price. Now they aren't so much. Just get yourself a Ruger 10 22 and be happy.
>>
>>29981914
No! Literally every other bolt action ever made is better than a mosin.
>>
>>29981914
They're fine. Not great, not terrible. If you like history, buy one. If you don't, get a Savage 110.
>>
>>29982086
I do want to CC with a handgun, however considering jaquan and Tyrone attacking me, if I did shoot them there'd be riots in my city and I couldn't do that to my hometown
>>
>>29982094
They all suck.

Save your money, get a cheap AR or AK. It'll shoot just as well, last longer, and will work better.
>>
>>29982040
>I'm hoping to get one soon and hopefully can buy the ammo in bulk too. I want one because of the history behind it, and also because they're cheap as of right now.

No one has surplus 54r in stock, so good luck stocking up on it...

If you got the money and want to sock away pvri or wolf go for it.

These guns have doubled, and their ammo at least the same increase in the last 3-4 years so "cheap as of right now" is a relative thing and they are probably near peak.

I have 3 and they are neat history pieces and shoot okay.
>>
File: 1439215056850.jpg (47 KB, 719x540) Image search: [Google]
1439215056850.jpg
47 KB, 719x540
>>29981946
fpbp
>>
Better iron sights than a mauser. Unlike most commercial mauser hunting ammo, soft point 54r is full-powered. 54r is no fun to shoot off a bench, which is a good thing. learning to shoot standing and kneeling where you can hit a gallon jug out to 150m 3 out of five shots has more cache than muh dime group off a bench with a 243 axis.
>>
>>29981914
Good is a comparative term.
So no.
However it IS "dependable, rugged, (somewhat) accurate, and durable".
You can use it for hunting and long range shooting, but yes, you'd probably be able to do better with a modern boltgun for a few bucks more.
I love my mosin, and it is comparable to other boltguns of the time, but most modern boltguns will out perform it.

Also, surplus is gone for the foreseeable future because most of it came from Ukraine, which is still in a civil war and the only two other countries that have real stock piles of surplus 7.62x54r are China and Russia.
But if you're wondering about the performance, you wouldn't be shooting surplus anyway.
>>
>>29981914
Buy it, they're good rifles. They're not as good of deal as they used to be, between the base cost and 54r not being 20c/r any more, but it's still a fine rifle for the price.
It just works, is easy to clean after corrosive ammo, and clanks my steel at 400 as well as any other slav gun in my arsenal.
>>
>>29981946
absolutely fuck off

your fucking Chinese plastic fucking puzzle piece AR is fucking shit and would never last as long as the mosin

kill yourself CoD kiddies
>ITS NOT BLACK LIKE THE COCKS I LIKE XD
>IT DOESNT SHOOT OVER 9000 ROUNDS PER MIN XD
>ITS NOT IN CAWA DOODY OR CS GO XD

Fuck OFF you know N O T H I N G

Oтвaли Oтвaли Oтвaли . Чepтoв CУКA TЫ ничeгo нe знaю o пyшкa знaю. BЫ ДУMAETE BЫ ЗHAETE Mocин , пoтoмy чтo вы cмoтpитe тeлeвизop или пpocмoтpa фильмoв . Bы нe знaeтe, ДEPЬMO CУКA . Mocинa OДИH из caмых пopaзитeльных ПУШEК CДEЛAHHЫХ CУКA
>>
>>29982249
Finally an ak in x54r!

Yes I know what a Vepr and etc. are. It's a fucking joke
>>
>>29985957
Kek
>>
get a k31
>>
>>29986244
Boy, I sure can't wait to spend $700 on a rifle and $1.60 for each round of unfindable ammunition! Great suggestion friend!
>>
>>29982107

Then you don't need guns. Anytime you're more worried about a few smashed windows than leaving your family and friends to mourn you forever, you're obviously not mentally prepared to deal with the realities of a weapon.
>>
>>29985649

Only 3 out of 5 that close?
>>
File: IMG_0824-475x382.png (61 KB, 475x382) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0824-475x382.png
61 KB, 475x382
>>29982225
>No one has surplus 54r in stock, so good luck stocking up on it...
my LGS does
>>
File: Untitled.png (194 KB, 456x730) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
194 KB, 456x730
>>
>>29986261
Though you were being sarcastic. Pull up GB low end 575, average seems to be 650-700$
Holy shit. I though 320 was steep when I bought it 6 months ago
>>
>>29981914
If you don't value your hearing sure
>>
Let's see what Comrade Dog thinks about glorious rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgLGbWvkFNg
>>
File: M91_2-2-2016_B.jpg (619 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
M91_2-2-2016_B.jpg
619 KB, 1280x960
It's a better rifle than the Steyr 1895, Gew.1888 or Carcano series IMO.
>>
>Mosins are just plain fun even if there are better rifles out there

>/k/iddies just can't seem to grasp this.

More for me.
>>
>>29981914
It's rugged and reliable and tolerably accurate, but only just. It's a decent first bolt-action, it's ammo is relatively cheap, and so is the gun. However, there are better rifles that do cost more yes, but the quality of rifle is a lot better. Anything with a mauser action is, as a rule of thumb, better than a mosin. There are exceptions to that rule. The mosin is a meme gun, yes, but like I said, it's a good first bolt-action. It's not the only bolt-action you should have, you shouldn't let this be your only bolt-action for too long. It's accuracy is average, the recoil is a mule kick, but bearable. Mauser actions are superior. They are, end of story, most(90%) modern bolt-actions use a mauser derived action. Again, it's a good FIRST bolt-action.
>>
>>29985957

You're a funny guy.
>>
>>29981914
They're not great bolt action rifles, but they work and they have a big enough bullet to actually do damage, unlike most other guns you'd see in that price range which would be almost exclusively .22's.

If you want a full powered rifle and only have a few hundred bucks on hand to get the gun and ammo, it's still not a bad way to go.

Of course people who got them when they were .50 cents or whatever will tell you you're getting ripped off, but they're an effective, full-sized rifle, which nothing else at that price point can say.
>>
>>29981946
They're good rifles, and I've found them extremely reliable and fun to shoot...you must be really pleasant to be around
>>
>>29982094
8mm is expensive and not readily available in most gun stores, so you're going to need to order online
>>
>>29986369
Step aside everyone this trip fag is a certified professional navy seal delta team 6
>>
>>29987534

Or, y'know, not shit shot.

Maybe shooting really fast, but 150m ain't shit and you're talking about kneeling. Even shooting pretty fast that's easier than shit. I mean, 3/5 isn't bad but you should set a higher standard.

I'm here for YOU anon.
>>
>>29981914
$150? Sure. If you see yourself using it. An old Remington 700 in my opinion is superior, as is almost any Mauser.

But, IMO, you should buy a handgun first. Something you can concealed carry preferred. Think Glock 19, M&P9, or maybe even a little Ruger or S&W revolver if you're more comfortable with that. Whatever has a good track record and fits your hand correctly. That's going be more "useful".

But for $150 I don't think anyone will say that's a bad deal, especially if you can inspect it first.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.