[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Japanese live action productions always look so fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
Why do Japanese live action productions always look so fucking cheap and staged? Honestly everything about them makes it near impossible for me to not view the characters as actors.

I can't put my finger on it but something is always really "off" with Japanese live action productions. Has anyone else noticed this?
>>
The worlds always seem dead, like there arent any people in the them
>>
They are shot in high frame rate for some reason.

Ultra-bright uniform lighting which allows for no subtlety atmosphere through lighting.

Sets that are too clean and sterile and look often literally like Ikea show rooms (with rooms filled with literal ikea furniture)

No Sound Design, everything is too quiet and uses over the top stock sound effects. Voices seem to be captured using microphones often on the cameras making the characters sound like they are in large empty sets. (which they are)

Terrible direction of extras and background characters, often background characters are just doing nothing waiting for their line.

Often shot in public without permissionl you often see regular public goers look at the actors, cameramen etc.

Budgets of like a few thousand dollars.

Music choices are over the top and cheesy as fuck.

Narration often for scenes where the scene speaks for itself.

Japanese actors can't act for fucking shit and overact literally everything on top of already incredibly cheesy and hammy, stilted dialogue and direction.

Overuse of heavy handed cliches and tropes.

There is probably more but these are the major things.
>>
>>14812961
The east uses over dramatization in their acting. It is supposed to look acted in a way that makes it easy to tell the emotion of the character, the west is morw subtle with their dramatization but they do spell out their exact emotion and plot instead of showing it most of the time.
Anime does both
>>
>>14812961
I have my own theory

you see, japanese people are not used to express their emotions (not laughin too loud, not screaming, etc) their society is based around maintaining a status quo (try to see some japanese live concerts, people are well behaved for the most part and don't do crazy shit like people on the other side of the world), so when it comes to acting, they suck, I mean, if you can't even express you emotions in daily life I don't expect anything more from something acted

That could be related as to why anime is so popular in japan, their ¨real¨ actors suck major dick, so they stick to cartoons since drawings can make all kinds of expressions, and the voice actors can go crazy when it comes to deliver their lines without the fear of someone watching them do it

If you see some japanese actor doing great most likely has worked overseas and had gained more experience

but hey, that's just a theory...
>>
>>14813098
>>but hey, that's just a theory...
A pretty shitty one too.
>>
>>14813119
nice, I suppose you have a better one

please, share your knowledge with us senpai
>>
>>14813098
a GAME theory! Thanks for watching.
>>
No one watches Japanese dramas except for learning the language
>>
>>14812961
This annoys me too, it's so horribly painful to watch.
>>
Probably because they are cheap. No doubt they're poorly done, but I think every movie is technically "staged".
>>
>>14812961
I feel the same way, I think a lot of times it's the frame rate. I felt the same way watching The Hobbit. Feels like a video game cutscene.
>>
>>14813822
Have you even seen the acting? At least half of what's wrong with those shows can be blamed on the actors.
>>
>>14813017
>Music choices are over the top and cheesy as fuck.

I recently finished watching the Japanese version of Liar Game, and that music had me going very time someone betrayed Nao.

A lot of the stuff you're listing are things I've noticed in my short time watching Japanese dramas, though.
>>
>>14813847
Liar game's music is an exception. How could it go wrong with Yasutaka in command? That guy is fucking genius.
>>
Just watch Japanese cinema, don't bother with television shows.
>>
>>14813847
>>14814049
Great source material + Decent production values + Yasutaka Nakata = Win.
>>
Watch minna esper dayo it's pretty damn funny
>>
>>14814905
>Jap cinema
>Good
>>
>>14814983
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>14814986
U r mom
>>
As far as non-shitty Japanese actors go, what does /jp/ think of Abe Hiroshi? I've always liked him in his male lead roles.
>>
>>14813098
It's actually because of Kabuki and Manzai.

Overacting like crazy is a huge part of both of these stage disciplines. Because Japan never went through the sort of film, play movements of the west that moved us towards realism and subtlety, they still rely heavily on Kabuki and Manzai for both acting and their situational comedy because that's personally what they think is good and in style.
It doesn't help that actors are chosen entirely on looks and not skill.

From Japanese society what shines through the most is the strict adherence too status quo and the idea of cultural hegemony, J-Dramas are usually sexist as fuck, homophobic as fuck and often can be quite racist as well. I don't think I've seen a gay or Lesbian character in any Japanese drama that either wasn't batshit promiscuous rapey pedophile or wasn't turned straight by the end because of course "being gay is just a fad for confused people".
>>
File: haganai.jpg (51 KB, 400x565) Image search: [Google]
haganai.jpg
51 KB, 400x565
>>14812961
Maybe because they hire random bishonen and bishojos as actors. They only care about the looks. Pic related: It's the Haganai movie. Kodaka is supposed to look like a badass in the anime, and now look at this whimp.
>>
>>14813098
>>14822600
Seems to me like you haven't seen any pre-2000 Japanese movies, and the only post-2000 ones you've seen are generic cash-in movies.
There is so much wrong in this post that it's a waste of time to even address any of it. Congratulations.
>>
>>14822600
Delete that last paragraph.
>>
Never really liked much Japanese live action series for this very reason they act like they're real life cartoon characters with how they over exaggerate their emotions. Only good Japanese movie I watched that didn't have too much of this was a horror movie called Noroi: The Curse.
>>
>>14822740
>They only care about the looks.
This. Guy in OP's pic was in Kamen Rider Wizard, which was boring as shit. Guy had no emotion in that show, either. Actors were chosen because they were top 3 in the Junon boy contests, where you just look handsome for the camera.
>>
lack of money, too many productions every season.

there are very good dorama without any of these problems, but they are few and far between, and none of them are anything like Hollywood productions (i.e. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc.)

I recommend JIN and JIN 2.
>>
>>14825245
Good, now go watch Cure.
>>
File: 2609444.jpg (64 KB, 820x585) Image search: [Google]
2609444.jpg
64 KB, 820x585
>>14812961
You don't speak Japanese, so you actually focus on their play.
I remember I was thinking exactly the same about western films back when I didn't speak English.
>>
File: 1456301570326.jpg (44 KB, 394x294) Image search: [Google]
1456301570326.jpg
44 KB, 394x294
> but something is always really "off" with Japanese live action productions
they still use the single camera method of shooting scenes so they need to stop shootting each time they change the camera angle which takes a lot of time. so in the meantime the actors/actresses are just sitting around doing other things while they wait for the staff to move things and i'm pretty sure by the time they start shooting again everyone has lost the built up emotions from the previous scene shooting. they they do quite a lot of cuts just for one scene. you'd think they would at least use a few cameras to take the different angle shoots all at once but i guess their budget doesn't allow that. so its take one angle cut, move the camera, take the same scene from the new angle, repeat for each angle.
>>
>>14813098
>japanese people are not used to express their emotions
Are perhaps, they're a polite society that doesn't want to annoy others, you freaking idiot.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.