[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Touhou "coolness"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Touhou.jpg (221 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Touhou.jpg
221 KB, 900x675
With the recent additions to the Touhou game series, are you having trouble thinking of Touhou as something cool, like me?

Touhou has always had it's casual, non-serious side to it with some silly moments/characters here and there with happy tea parties and manga stories about getting to the moon with a wooden rocket, but I feel that the potential for more serious interpretations (which I also highly enjoy) has taken several blows recently with the main games.
Touhou characters used to command respect and power with their intimidating spellcards and danmaku, but when put these new weak and/or ridiculous looking characters on the same level with the powerful youkai and other beings, I can't help but to feel that the logic of the Touhou hierarchy takes damage and is less viable for non-comical stories than before.

When I battled a nine tailed fox with her even more powerful master showing up after her, I felt like it was a challenge, a spectacular experience and an adventure with my main character facing off against legendary mythical beings. The challenge was justified and made sense lore wise!
But now I try to do the same in the recent games, my opposition consists of a bunch of weak rebels topped by a tiny inchling and some clowns dressed in cotton balls and American flags. It's just not the same. The challenge is there, but it's not because the opposition is powerful or intimidating, it's because the game is made that way and that breaks the immersion. There's just too many uncool characters that I can't get excited about, even if I try to.
>>
It's autistic, not cool.

Just go outside and show people what Touhou is.They'll tell you that it's autistic.
>>
My issue isn't with the character designs so much as the lack of coherence of the bosses from the past few games. From EoSD through UFO, the boss cast was mainly people from a particular group or physical space that has remained fairly consistent since then. TD seemed to start a trend of throwing bosses from all different directions, DDC seemed worse in this regard, and LoLK followed suit. Yeah, the story kinda justifies these selections, but it doesn't mean that it's gonna have the same feel as the older games.
>>
>>14784819
They don't tell me it's autistic, they tell me it looks amazingly difficult and that they would never do well in that.

Most of the time they have trouble forming a concrete opinion of any kind, because they have no idea what to think of it outside the immediately obvious gameplay elements. They don't understand the dialog, they don't know Asian mythology, the characters look a bit weirdly drawn and the music is unlike anything they normally listen to.
They usually have fun after I make them play it by themselves, but even after that their impression of the game mostly consists of dodging bullets and lasers.
>>
Wait for three more games or so to come out. Then you'll be able to be a hipster about LoLK.
>>
File: nuke bird.jpg (576 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
nuke bird.jpg
576 KB, 1920x1200
>>14784888
I am praying the next games take a turn for better direction.

However, I feel that ZUN treats the topic of my concerns with complete disregard and it's up to the fans to salvage again what little value there might be.
>>
>>14784799
>a tiny inchling
She got bigger you fuck
>>
>>14784844
For some reason Hakugyokurou is one of the most popular factions despite only two of PCB's characters being affiliated with it. Compare TD where you have Miko, Futo, Tojiko, and Seiga.
>>
>>14789446
TD's scoring sucks and the music sucks and Youmu is a playable
>>
I'm glad ZUN is making doujin games, meaning he can do whatever the hell he feels like and doesn't need to cater to his fanbase in order to meet a profit goal.

I'm enjoying ZUN's "serious" wild ride.
>>
>>14784917
Good times when SA was considered here the nail on the coffin for Touhou and Okuu was shat to death for being the dumbest design ever made.
>>
>>14789446
You know I think the Yatsuhashi segment of that Kogasa vs. Lion video explained it kinda well.
Character relations with other factions, characters or groups increases that character's popularity. Since Yuyuko is friends with Yukari, you might imagine that someone who likes Yukari, Ran and/or Chen will also enjoy Yuyuko and/or Youmu.
>>
>>14789726
Yean and people hated Mountain of Faith too. Go figure.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.