[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Q&A with ZUN on Lecture on Kyoto University under the ti
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: large[1].png (2 MB, 1024x1448) Image search: [Google]
large[1].png
2 MB, 1024x1448
Q&A with ZUN on Lecture on Kyoto University under the title of 幻樂団の歴史 ~ Chart of a Strange Creator. as transcribed by @sou8901016
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19057.msg1224112.html#msg1224112

質問「お酒に興味を持ち始めたのはいつ?また東方のアルコール純度は?」
神主「もちろん20歳だよ笑 純度はビールくらいだから5パーセントくらいかな」
Q: When did you start having interest in beer? And what's the alcoholic percentage of Touhou?
A: Of course, when I was 20 (laugh) It's like a light beer, so roughly 5%?

質問「なぜ男性キャラクターはあまりださないんですか?」
神主「男性キャラだしちゃうとシリアスになっちゃうし笑 あと弾幕って少女的で男性的じゃないしね」
Q: Why don't you release some male characters?
A: Releasing male characters will make things too serious (laugh) Danmaku is also pretty girlish thing, rather than boyish stuff.

質「二次創作物を条件つきで許可したきっかけは?」
神主「許可する前から皆始めてたね笑 条件をつけたのはよく聞かれる(求められる)からあらかじめ作ったね」
Q: What motivation drove you from allowing the derivative works with guidelines?
A: It started even before I allowed it (laugh) For guidelines, they were made based on the things I was often asked with.

質「紅魔郷頒布当時から変わっていない信念やスタンスは?」
神主「その時代時代にあわせること自体が当時から変わらない信念かな」
神主「コンテンツは自分のコントロール下、自由にできるくらいが自分としては幸せかな」
Q: In terms of your resolve or attitude, what has not changed since the release of EoSW?
A: I always want to make sure that the contents I create are relevant to that time and age.
A: Also, I'm happy as long as the content is at my disposal to do whatever I want freely.

質問「絵やプログラミングはどうやって学んだ?」
神主「それ聞いてもきっと同じやり方するんだろうなあ笑 独学ですよやっぱり」
Q: How did you learn drawing and programming?
A: Why am I keep hearing the exact same questions? (laugh) For sure, it's self-taught.

質問「ゲームと違って音楽CDの方は曲調がゆったりしてますが、作り方の違いとかは?」
神主「ゲームの音楽はゲームの音楽で、CD用のはCD用として分けて作ってる。ゲーム曲のままだとちょっとテンポ早すぎるからね笑」
神主「やっぱり音楽CDはおまけというか副産物みたいなものだよ」
Q: Unlike games, the CD music is relatively calm. Any differences on how you make them?
A: Game music is for the game, and CD music is for CD. The trend of the game music is that it has rather a quick tempo (laugh)
A: CD musics are like omake. A by-product.

質問「東方のモチーフになっている日本伝記や神話の魅力は?」
神主「やっぱり皆が知ってることかな。マニアックな伝記とかを使うなら自分で作るし」
Q: What's the appeal of borrowed materials in Japanese mythology and legends for Touhou?
A: I'm sure everyone knows about it. Like how taking some hardcore legends and making them as my own.
(Words are ambiguous so need more clarification)

質「どうやって魅力的な元ネタ等と出会っているか 神社仏閣に取材するときどんなことを心がけているか?」
神主「京都とかそれ以外にも魅力的なところがあるから、そこを歩いて気になったものを掘り下げてる。取材って感じで行くよりはぶらぶら観光って感じ」
Q: How do you encounter such appealing materials, such as from Shinto shrines and buddist temples?
A: Many places, including Kyoto are filled with captivating places. I often take a walk to quench what I always wondered about. But rather than it being an investigation, it's more like a slow-paced tourism.

会社を辞めた経緯の話の中で 「仕事をとるか同人をとるかで行くと同人ですよ笑 (給料安かったし ボソッ)」
神主「同人はやっぱ金銭的というか精神的というか、自分に余裕がある時じゃないとキツイね 社会人か大学生か、やっぱり大学生の時にやるのが一番いいんじゃないかな」
Q: How did you end up quitting your company?
A: I was faced with the life's choice of giving up work or giving up doujin, I ended up giving up work. (The wage was simply not enough)
A: Doujin is quite difficult unless you have some room for yourself, whether it is mental, or financial. So a salaryman or university student, but I suppose the prime time is when you are in the university.
>>
>>14414328
質「作品への感想や反響、人気投票とかの結果は見てた?」
神主「今はあまりだけど昔はよく見てたよ 人気投票とかコメント付きで投票してたもん」
司会「ちなみに誰に?」
神主「霊夢だね」
Q: Are you following with the character popularity polls or opinions on your work?
A: As of now, I don't do that much, but in the past, I've followed it quite often, and voted for some characters myself.
Q: Like who?
A: Like Reimu.

質問「ZUNさんお洒落ですが、服はどうしてるんですか ゲームクリエイターはおしゃれであるべきか」
神主「おしゃれって訳ではないけど特徴づけるようにというか、人に見られることは意識はしてるかな 帽子も家に何個かあるよ」
Q: What is the deal with your fashionaaabluh clothes? Should game content creator be fashionaaabluh?
A: It's not much of a fashion, but perhaps unique? I suppose I do keep in mind on how I would look to the other people. And I do have a few more hats at home.

質問「スマホで東方のゲームとかは考えてますか?」
神主「可能性はあるよ サクッと移植とかできるならいいけど、一から勉強とかだと面倒クサイ笑」
Q: What do you think about Touhou in smartphone?
A: There is a possibility. If porting were easy, I would have done it, but studying is already too much of a bother for me (laugh)

質「東方以外のゲームは考えてますか?」
神主「僕が作ったらなんでも東方になっちゃう笑 それこそビール作っても居酒屋作っても東方になる」
Q: Any plans for making games other than Touhou?
A: Anything I make ends up being Touhou (laugh) Even if I were to make my own drinking bar of my own beer brew, it would have 'Touhou' on it.

質問「続編製作のモチベーションはどうやってあげている?」
神主「創作の辛い部分を知ってるからモチベーション下がることがあんまりないねー 楽しいことばかりと思うと創作は折れる」
Q: How will you keep your motivation of creating for the sequels?
A: I am familiar with the pain of creating contents. There's nothing especially keeping my motivation down. You can't create contents if you only think about having fun.

神主「僕としては自分の代わりと言うか後継いでくれる人みたいなのがいるなら正直引退したい笑」
A: To speak the truth, if there is someone out there who can take up my mantle, I would gladly retire (laugh)

質問「何かを作るのに才能はいりますか?」
神主「うーん、才能ってのがピンとこないけど、まあないよりあったほうがいいんじゃないかな。例えば絵が上手く描けるってのは才能ってより技術なんじゃないかな」
神主「自分には才能あるっていう人は大抵才能ないよね笑 言うなら裏付けが欲しいな」
Q: Do you require talent if you want to make something?
A: Well, I can't really pinpoint what 'talent' is, but it's probably better to have it than not having one. For example, when drawing something, having various techniques would be considered 'talent'.
A: And those who say "I am talented!" usually fail to uphold their claim. (laugh) Talking is cheap, show some evidence instead.

質問「10年前から東方はオワコンと言われつづけていますが?」
神主「オワコン?お前の中ではな笑」
Q: Touhou is dead. It has been for 10 years.
A: For you. (Laugh)
>>
>A: To speak the truth, if there is someone out there who can take up my mantle, I would gladly retire (laugh)

The ZUNbabby better learn the way of 2hu.
>>
>(laughs)

This is the sign of a tired old man.
RIP 2hu.
>>
File: ベイン?.jpg (188 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
ベイン?.jpg
188 KB, 900x1000
>A: For you. (Laugh)
>>
He will forever be in our hearts.
>>
>>14414328
>Q: In terms of your resolve or attitude, what has not changed since the release of EoSW?

Embodiment of Scarlet Wakasagihime.
>>
>>14414356
What if he give the mantle to someone else?

Watch as 2hu went to the steepest decline.
>>
>>14414328
>Why am I keep hearing the exact same questions? (laugh)

Seriously, I wish ZUN interviews had a little more variety instead of the same five questions.
>>
>>14414328
>But rather than it being an investigation, it's more like a slow-paced tourism.
>>14414330
>A: As of now, I don't do that much, but in the past, I've followed it quite often, and voted for some characters myself.
>Q: Like who?
>A: Like Reimu.

I dont think it's possible I could ever hate this man.
>>
I hope he never dies
>>
>Danmaku is also pretty girlish thing, rather than boyish stuff.
>>
>Touhou is dead
We just have to accept that dont we
>>
>>14415316
Last question is just a joke translation.
>>
File: 1432064352593.jpg (101 KB, 513x486) Image search: [Google]
1432064352593.jpg
101 KB, 513x486
>>14415316
(laughs)
>>
>You can't create contents if you only think about having fun.
I needed to hear that.
>>
>>14415342
True words from a wise man
>>
>fashionaaabluh
what
>>
motk translation quality has sure gone down the shitter lately
>>
>>14415355
Shitty bravely Default oke someone shoehorned in.

>>14415301
He wont.
>ZUN drinks
>Destorys his liver
>Some depressed anon who loved 2hu finally an heroes, feeling he has nothing to live for
>Zun gets that anons liver
>Continues to drink and make games
>Cycle repeats
>>
>>14414330
So Marisa's dad is an alcoholic deadbeat that wastes all his money on "destitute miko" videos?
>>
That last question translation seems totally off.
>>
>>14415494
that's because it is. I think it would be closer to:
Q. "After 10 years is 2hu decline?"
A. "no u"
>>
>derivative works with guidelines
Didn't know he wrote guidelines for derivative works. Can I find a translation somewhere?
>>
>>14415555
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Guidelines

This is where the "don't post the endings" thing and why the touhou smash bros got hammered to death.
>>
>>14415406
Thus we learn the basis of the hourai elixir.
>>
>>14415587
i think you meant http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights
>>
>>14415587
But I don't want to edit the Wiki
>>
>To speak the truth, if there is someone out there who can take up my mantle, I would gladly retire (laugh)
HARUKAWA-SAN

Well, the games and music would truly die along ZUN.
>>
>>14414328
>神主「やっぱり皆が知ってることかな。マニアックな伝記とかを使うなら自分で作るし」
This is : "The part where everyone knows it. If I had to use niche legends, I would rather simply create one by myself."
>>
>>14416772
>This is : "The part where everyone knows it. If I had to use niche legends, I would rather simply create one by myself."
He sort of did. He made a clusterfuck mix of characters in the latest game and I had no idea how he came up with Junko, and how her rage at the moon princess related to her ex-husband Gay.
>>
>>14415217
>>14414328
Well everyone already knew that, back when he showed his figurine collection he had more Reimu ones than any other character.
>>
>>14414330
>オワコン
>Touhou is dead.
Come on now, what is with this translation?
>>
>>14419096
memes
>>
>>14419096
remember, ask google everytime before you look stupid
>>
>Q: How did you end up quitting your company?
>A: I was faced with the life's choice of giving up work or giving up doujin, I ended up giving up work. (The wage was simply not enough)
And where are all these fags now who were telling that Touhou is not the main source of income for ZUN?
>>
>>14419692
>(The wage was simply not enough)

So he does it just for the cash?
>>
>>14419788
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>14419788
When you're not a NEET you need to consider your income first. Was the income of a proper job enough to make him consider stop making doujin works? It wasn't.
>>
Some people make fun of Zun by referring to him as an always drunk otaku drawing girls in silly hats, but he's definetely not lazy or unimaginative like certain popular creators. Even if he's tired of it and is drunk.
>>
File: 1433458302907.jpg (777 KB, 750x1250) Image search: [Google]
1433458302907.jpg
777 KB, 750x1250
>>14419068
>Well everyone already knew that, back when he showed his figurine collection he had more Reimu ones than any other character.
>ZUn's figure collection
Pics?

I want to know what characters he likes, he only ever mentions Reimu and Marisa.
Why doesnt he love Ran more?
Ran needs more love.
>>
>>14415406
everything makes sense now
>>
>>14420170
>Some people make fun of Zun
Name 3
>>
>>14419692
He got a new job.
>>
>>14420310
Source? Touhou should easily make him at least one ot two hundred thousands dollars per year. Why would he need to work?
>>
>>14420492
His ass, ZUN's current job is being a dad.
He left his career for the time being so he can take care of the kid while the wife works normally since ZUN can just make money off Touhou anyway.
>>
>>14420291
Secondary 1
Secondary 2
Secondary 3
>>
>>14420170
>Even if he's tired of it
Then why not quit?
He's his own boss.
>>
>>14421440
Cause it brings in loads of cash.
Way too much to just give it up, even if he's tired of this shit.
>>
>>14421495
I assume by now he has enough money to retire and live a comfy life.
Also if it wasnt 2hu it would just be some other soulcrushing job. He need to realize he would be depressed either way. This way gives him more money and less work.
>>
>>14421537
>I assume by now he has enough money to retire and live a comfy life.
I highly doubt it. He may have a steady income from Touhou, but as soon as he stops making new games, it will die.
>>
>last question
>translation is a statement

This is why I learnt japanese instead of relying on fags.
>>
>>14421612
Or you could have a common sense and understand that it's a joke.
>>
>>14421648

Making a joke on a transcript is not acceptable. Some fans will actually think that is the interchange that happened.
>>
>>14414330
>A: For you. (Laugh)
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>14421603
You think he hasnt earne a ton of money from this?
Touhou is popular, so he must have made a good bit of money from it.
>>
>>14423814
Touhou's a big guy
>>
>>14420557
>>14421603
Does ZUN get royalties on the mass produced merchandise? I always assumed that so long as he was getting royalties off that he would be set for life.
>>
>>14423814
"People have been saying touhou is dead since 10 years ago"
"For you, that is"
The "you" refers to people saying 2hu is dead
>>14424052
The rhythm games and psvita thingy?
>>
>>14423869
I once calculated the amount of money ZUN made on selling Double Spoiler (based off its price and comiket and him selling out), and it was like $100,000 or some shit.

And that's a side game. Who knows what the MAIN games make.
>>
>>14424515
>The rhythm games and psvita thingy?
I was thinking of stuff like the fumos.
>>
>>14414370
(笑)
>>
>>14424756
As long they're doujin companies ZUN shouldn't get a cent from fan works.
>>
>>14421537
>>14421603
>>14423869
>>14424052
>>14424602
>>14424756

Has ZUN said what his print run of DS or any other game is for Comiket? There are also taxes, materials and printing cost, etc. to account for though I don't know if you get taxed for sales on doujin.

He also has one or two guys who work with him and act in a legal and business capacity who might receive compensation.

I see him as being kind of frugal so I think he probably lives without worry. I have no doubt he has some money saved up. However, I also think he probably still depends on his manga salary quite a bit.

So I don't think he has enough to retire on yet, either. Not nearly enough when you factor in having a family to support and if he's actually serious about wanting to open a bar someday.
>>
>>14425046
Right, but commercial companies need his permission (read: royalties) to sell Touhou goods. And fumos are by Gift, not exactly doujin.
>>
>>14424602
As >>14425132 points out, there are production costs. As it's quite a large operation, I wouldn't doubt that he also has to hire some middlemen to assist with getting the production complete and shipped to the right place.

To the tax situation, I'd assume that if Japan's tax code is anything like the rest of the world, you're taxed on any income coming in. He would have to report his profits, although if he's selling through a corporation, it could work a little differently and he might effectively see more of his own money.

Any Japanese accounting/tax otaku here?

>>14425046
>>14425742
I'd believe that there is more difficult surrounding bootleg works or unaccounted for sales for whatever reason. I wouldn't imagine that the certified fumos are the majority sold to touhou fans throughout the world, even if those legitimate runs are completely accounted for.
>>
File: 1447520856796.jpg (21 KB, 380x500) Image search: [Google]
1447520856796.jpg
21 KB, 380x500
>A: Anything I make ends up being Touhou (laugh) Even if I were to make my own drinking bar of my own beer brew, it would have 'Touhou' on it.

POST YOUR FACE YOU GONA DRINK YOUR FAV 2HU BRANDED BEER
>>
>>14419096
オワコン
>abbreviation of
終わったコンテンツ
>what in english means 
A contents what has "ended".
>or
A contents what has died.
>>
Playing touhou was a mistake.
>>
>>14429854
Can you imagine? A Touhou brand beer?
>>
>>14432923
For now I take solace knowing I like (at least one) same beer as ZUN does.
>>
>>14432973
>>14432923
Does ZUN like any beer I can get in the US ? I hate beer but if ZUN sama likes them maybe I'll try again...
>>
ZUN already confirmed 20th anniversary phantasmagoria game for next year. All characters from the 6th game onwards will be available for play.
>>
>>14433796
Even the unofficially named characters?
>>
File: 1435085143238.png (80 KB, 720x486) Image search: [Google]
1435085143238.png
80 KB, 720x486
>>14433796
I don't believe in you.
>>
>>14433796
I fucking wish
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.