[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Touhou so ubiquitous in the doujin music scene? Even in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 1421977930739.jpg (180 KB, 1495x1084) Image search: [Google]
1421977930739.jpg
180 KB, 1495x1084
Why is Touhou so ubiquitous in the doujin music scene? Even in today's age where Touhou is less of a doujin market juggernaut that it was, you still cant do a search for any kind of doujin music without getting hit with a huge load of touhou, touhou and more touhou and very little of anything else. Even more baffling is when you take into consideration that ZUN's music is generally nothing to write home about, but gets so much attention and adoration from the doujin music scene. So why are they still so fixated on it? Is it just because ZUN's music is easier to rearrange and therefore easier for amateurs and beginners to get their start?
>>
Zuns music is great, and there is a lot of it to work with, also the original songs are very low on definition but high in overal quality, so you can make a lot of different interpretations of the original song.
>>
He rode the wave.
>>
File: 1468349105097.jpg (94 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1468349105097.jpg
94 KB, 850x850
Heh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPvUzcd38s
>>
>>15543009
I don't know if you know this, but the Touhou series has really good music.

>ZUN's music is generally nothing to write home about
Aah, you're a moron.
>>
Zun invented blacking music sheets iirc, that's not exactly "nothing to write home about".
>>
>>15543009
Wanna know how i know you don'tknow shit about music?
>>
>>15543142
>>15543160
>>15543181
Not even the most gigantic Touhou fanboy could possibly think ZUN's music is anything better than average. They're fine pieces of work in the realm of video game background noise, but on their own they're low-fidelity dustbin crap that nobody would bat an eye at if they didn't have the gift of having so many rearranges.
>>
>>15543250
I don't even like touhou and i know you are full of shit.
>>
>>15543009

kek
>>
>>15543009
They think nobody would listen if it's not touhou or they don't know better, that's what I think.

I agree. Don't mind those shitters that don't know about music.
>>
>>15543293
Thanks for visiting, /v/.
>>
>>15543009

You're nothing to write home about
>>
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1649996
>>
>>15543160
>Zun invented blacking music sheets iirc
he what
>>
File: blackeddotcom.jpg (205 KB, 800x350) Image search: [Google]
blackeddotcom.jpg
205 KB, 800x350
>>15543622
>>
>>15543009
The same reason that derivative doujinshi is popular: it's easier to compose than original work, and people are more likely to listen to things that already have an air of familiarity.
>>
Are there any doujin circles which take ZUN's works, keep the same tempo, but make them more "powerful"?

Like, say, the difference between Windows MIDI and using a hardware synthesizer to give the MIDI the extra kick?

Its hard for me to describe besides, "the same style, but even more overdone"
>>
>>15543250
>low fidelity
this makes it even more appealing for rearrangements because you just get the midi and fuck with that, rather than sampling the original like most videogame mixes I'd imagine people would do.

>>15543160
his crazy arps are fun because you can play it back at half speed and it sounds nothing like the original song.
>>
>>15543709
maybe dBu or sound sepher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IpMhx5CrE
>>
>>15543816
On the right hardware, the MIDI also sounds awesome:
https://p.fuwafuwa.moe/psyzht.ogg

No, this is not from DiPP, but close

Beats the snot out of the FM equivalent.
>>
>>15543625
I still don't understand.
>>
>>15543832
dBu is close, but there is something just off about them. Not helpful, I know.

So far, my favorite has been Jun.A :
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7296531
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/nm7226228
>>
>>15543852
Oh, shoot me in the dick, that is sound sepher
>>
>>15543852
>>15543856
yep those are the only 2 that come to mind as far as consistently staying within the realm of ZUN rhythm and synths.

unless you mean something that sticks to the tempo but strays further in terms of instruments. this song popped into my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMPllYN3sc
>>
>>15543250
I listen to ZUN's music CDs over shitty arranges with inferior composition and more expensive instruments. Fight me faggot.
>>
>>15543896

wow dude, u'r the man.
>>
>>15543009
I want to grab a handful of that ass. I'll grab each cheek with a hand and spread it open, then passionately make out with Flan's asshole.
>>
>>15543896

That's the way to go. I listen to ZUN daily, cause he's perfect and unique.
>>
ZUN's composition and melodies are generally superior to most other video games, even AAA ones, nevermind other doujin works. Sure as hell beats Western mainstream albums too.
>>
>>15544127
This is a good example of a mental condition called ``delusions of grandeur''.
>>
>>15543009

It's probably rooted in the popularity of doujin touhou music from 10 years back. If you remember around the time niconico launched a lot of the works that got popular were touhou remixes (Bad Apple, IOSYS stuff etc). In the case of IOSYS their popularity predates even nico and other video streaming sites, the first "music videos" for their stuff were flash animations.

It's just a case of popular thing gets more popular and stays popular because it was popular once.
>>
File: christgau_212.jpg (71 KB, 212x244) Image search: [Google]
christgau_212.jpg
71 KB, 212x244
Schubert > Paul Romero > Hiroshi Miyauchi > Hirokazu Ando > Jun Ishikawa > Strauss II > DEKU > Ken Nakagawa > Pachelbel > Tonnor > Jirurun > Bach > Robert Euvino > Rick Wakeman > Jeremy Soule > Tamayo Kawamoto > Jun Maeda > Beethoven > Grieg > Chopin > Debussy > Hirokazu Tanaka > Shinji Orito > Konami Kuheika > Tomoko Sasaki > Vaughn Williams > Glenn Stafford > Richard Jacques > Masato Nakamura > Koji Kondo > Hiroki Kikuta > Yoko Kanno > Brahms > Chris Hulsbeck > Kenji Ito > Tsukasa Masuko> Falcom sound team > Jeff Lynne > Yoko Shimomura > Tokuhiko Uwabo > Sibelius > Mozart > Tchaikovsky > Ravel > Hitoshi Sakimoto > Tatsuyuki Maeda > Naofumi Hataya> Masafumi Ogata > Hisayoshi Ogura > Yasuaki Fujita aka BunBun > Masashi Hamauzu > Magome Togoshi > Hitoshi Sakamoto > 70s Genesis > King Crimson > Yasunori Mitsuda > Capcom sound team > Nobuo Uematsu > Koichi Sugiyama > Gentle Giant > Mikiya Katakura > Kevin Schilder > Bobby Prince > Jethro Tull > Daisuke Ishiwatari > Masanori Hikichi > Miyoko Takaoka > Brad Buxer > Yuzo Koshiro > Alexander Brandon > Tim Follin > Emerson, Lake & Palmer > Takanori Arisawa > Rush > Masaru Setsumaru > Motoi Sakuraba > Frank Klepacki > Shade > Toby Fox > ZUN > Vivaldi
>>
>>15543842
I think the joke is that so many notes are spammed that it turns into an unreadable black blob.
And I'll never understand music discussions.
>>
>>15544422
>Jun Memeda, Yoko Kanno, Shimamura, Falcom Sound Team, squeenix hacks that high
>Koshiro that low
>Ken Nakagawa not number one along with MANYO
bad list
>>
>>15544422
What's this /mu/ meme about hating Vivaldi and most famous classical composers?
Well I can't really tell if it's a joke or not since people there like stuff like amateur rap mixed with opera with weird background noises.
>>
>>15544552
Koshiro is a plagiarizing amateur like ZUN
>>
>>15543160
Zun didn't invent black MIDI, what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>15544422
>Koshiro below Uematsu
>Koshiro below the Falcom Sound Team

Fucking Hell
>>
>Even in today's age where Touhou is less of a doujin market juggernaut that it was
What is this meme? Touhou is as strong as ever. Comiket + Reitaisai doujinshi volume still absolutely dwarfs everything else out there.
>>
>>15543009
The music is what got 2hu over in the first place. It's been remixed and rearranged in every way possible, thats not something you can or would do with bad composing.
What else would doujin artists make? There is vocaloid and you can do original compositions, but you do far better riding on something popular. What would you even rearrange besides Touhou? Kancolle? It's music scene practically vaporised after 2 comikets. There isn't much you can even make 2 albums with and not run out of material. Touhou IS the doujin music juggernaut, there are more songs to rearrange than you can count, they are varied and work in whatever way you want and the series is so popular that even as new circle people will buy your stuff out of curiosity.
>>
>>15543250
Since I didn't listen to any arranges before realizing ZUN's a great composer, I know you are a dumbfuck.
>>
>>15543834
Why's this site blocking me? It's the site blocking me/my ip too, not my isp blocking the site.
>>
>>15544815

People aren't scanning as much as they used to it feels like though.
>>
>>15543009
Nice ass.
>>
>>15545512
>Nice ass.
Thanks.
>>
>>15545409
If you can give me some logs, I can contact the owner.
>>
>>15544127
>>15544140
Not the first anon, but I would honestly say that LoLK was one of the best original game OSTs in 2015, and that was far from ZUN's best work. Have you actually listened AAA game music recently? They're awful generic shit, especially Western ones. The last AAA games that impressed me in terms of original music were Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, and those were years ago.
>>
>>15545409
Also, in general:
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=18989.0

This guy is the real mvp
>>
>>15545434

There are a lot less scans than there used to be and scanlations to english pretty much dried up.

The bulk of reitaisai is obscure stuff that never got scanned or translated in the first place though.
>>
Zuns arrangements are excellent,
sonically they can be improved though (
since they don't sound like much more than midis )
,which is why people try to do so in a variety of ways.
The results are often really fine pieces of music.
>>
>>15544127
>even AAA ones
You're giving generic orchestra/ambient too much credit.
>>
File: 1458552621726.jpg (190 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1458552621726.jpg
190 KB, 960x720
>>15544422
Gay list, King Crimson > everything else
>>
>>15544422
>Motoi Sakuraba over ZUN

Fuck off dude, that's not even funny.
>>
Doesn't Christgau hate prog rock though?
>>
>>15544422
>ELP over anything
That's the biggest crime committed in this post
>>
>>15546614
he only hates bad prog like Yes
>>
I love ZUN's music so much. While the game OST is fantastic in its own way, I prefer to listen to the CDs if I was to casually listen to music. Especially when I'm driving. It makes driving really fun.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.