[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /jp/'s opinion of Diamond in the Rough? One of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: d5roh7f.jpg (168 KB, 734x1087) Image search: [Google]
d5roh7f.jpg
168 KB, 734x1087
What is /jp/'s opinion of Diamond in the Rough? One of the best Touhou fanworks, garbage, pretentious and cringeworthy, or something else?
>>
>>15475636
Do you really need to ask?
>>
>>15475636
Tell me that poster is ironic and nobyd takes it seriously.
>>
>>15475651
Its walfas, there's at least a few people who took it seriously, and everybody else dismisses it for the blatant garbage it is.
>>
How did walfas even come to be?
>>
Completely irrelevant.
>>
>>15475636
The Evangelion of Touhou fanfics
>>
File: 5602.png (73 KB, 350x188) Image search: [Google]
5602.png
73 KB, 350x188
>>15475636
This is my personal view on this:
>Using walfas for things that's not comedy
>Self-insert fic that's not comedy
>Tries to be a deconstruction, came off as another dark and edgy fic
>Things like sexual assault and abortion played as drama
And that's not even half of what's wrong with this shit.

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little, but my points still stand.
>>
>>15475636
Any poor soul that has read this: is any of the Touhous even remotely in-character?
>>
>>15476059
... Well, just read this one paragraph from TV Tropes:

When looked at from a wide view, the fact everyone is responsible for Brolli's death and the incident that caused it. Initially, Yukari promises Brolli power, which lures him to Gensokyo. Once he's there, Marisa entices Brolli into selfishness and Reimu pushes him away from doing the right thing. Then, Sanae lures him away from Reimu by being a fellow outsider, despite her lack of knowledge, and Reisen lures him away from Yukari, teaching him that maybe giving into the luxury of Gensokyo is a good idea. As a result of Brolli's resulting hedonism, Aya is forced to publish a news article on Brolli to detail his weaknesses to protect the Tengu Village, the Moriya Shrine goddesses must employ Tenshi and the Myouren Temple to protect their shrine, Tenshi must make a giant incident to get back at the people who want to kill Brolli, the Myouren Temple must mask the fact they're trying to kill Brolli to keep their followers, and Nitori is too much of a pushover to say no to Brolli taking the Kappa Valley's weapons. Ignoring that Yukari was the original cause by gapping in Brolli, the ensuing chaos of the ending is everyone's fault.

And form your own opinion.
>>
>>15475816
Oh so it's not ironic. Seriously those comments in that poster really sound like at least Lv3 of ironic shitposting.
>>
>>15476561
Seems like shit.
>>
Essential /jp/ literature.
I'm not joking.
>>
>>15475636
It's pretty damn good for what it is. Everyone interested in Touhou's lore should watch it.
>>
>>15478512
>It's pretty damn good for what it is.
No.

>Everyone interested in Touhou's lore should watch it.
Hell no.
>>
>>15476956
>Essential /jp/ literature
In a way, I agree.
People should really watch this so they know what NOT to do when attempting a deconstruction in general.

>>15478512
>Pretty damn good for what it is
What, as a deconstruction fic? No. It honestly falls flat on its face and the whole story becomes an edgy fic instead.
But yes it is a pretty good edgy fic, I'll give it that.

>Touhou's lore
>Implying this shit is more canonical than Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth
You're the kind of guy who would agree when the creator of DitR says something like:
>Go ahead, folks. Play Hopeless Masquerade knowing DitR happened beforehand
Won't you?
>>
>>15475670
Just some kid making flash on his free time making dumb jokes that for some reason even Japanese liked it.

I wonder what happened to him... Sure he updates the create.swf pretty often, but he is mostly silent nowadays.
>>
>>15475636
I liked it, but lets be honest this is 4chan. It's going to be bashed to hell.
>>
Can someone clarify if this is a parody or not? The premise sounds like the author was making fun of terrible fanfiction, but the ends result sounds like terrible fanfiction.
>>
>>15480642
It was supposed to be a deconstruction of terrible Touhou fanfiction, but it ended up being terrible fanfiction itself.
>>
>>15480642
The entire thing is a cautionary tale against fan fiction OCs. I don't understand what you mean by parody in this context.
>>
>>15480716
That's very meta. Where are the /jp/ scholars to write academic journals on such an amazing work?
>>
>>15480642
He took a friend's fanfiction (with permission), changed the scenario so it actually fit in with Touhou lore and whatever realism it had (Swords won't do much in a world where everyone but you has ranged attacks).

Think of it as an elaborate "this is why your fanfiction is bad" animation.
>>
>>15480719
By parody I mean humor through imitation. Is DitR supposed to be funny because it's joking about fanfic conventions or is it unintentionally funny because it takes itself too seriously?
>>
>>15480777
Seems like a question only you'd know the answer to.
>>
>>15480777
Both.
>>
File: 1211510780329.jpg (84 KB, 800x496) Image search: [Google]
1211510780329.jpg
84 KB, 800x496
>>15476561
Is this DBZ?
>>
The entire premise of the story is undone from the beginning since Brolli is a worthless sack of shit with near-zero redeeming qualities and it makes no sense for anybody, especially centuries-old youkai like Reisen to even bother to get to know him.

The story could have ended with him getting thrown into a meat grinder and literally nobody should have cared.
>>
>>15478564
Nice counterarguments.

>>15479387
An edgy fic is what I meant.

As for the latter, it was more of a "look at how wrong this shit is" kind of deal. That's why I mentioned Touhou's lore, everyone that's interested on it and knows about it can get a pretty good laugh out of it. Or are you telling me the giant pumpkin pie in the Netherworld with nude Yuyuko swimming in it wasn't hilarious? Or how about Nitori being a sweet little girl that can't say 'no' to humans when that was false even before DitR existed? Or how about Sakuya falling in implied love with the MC out of the blue for no real reason?
>>
>>15480864
Ok, so you're arguing that it's so bad that it's worth watching, then? I dunno, maybe. Honestly it's just too much cringe for me, I can't stomach it myself. And it's just so long too, it's definitely not worth the time it would take to watch the entire thing.
And that's not mentioning how preachy and self righteous it is about the subject of fucking fan fiction of all things. It's hard to enjoy stories that present themselves as parodies of fan fiction, as 90% of the time they come across as conceited and self important, while only being a few steps above absolute trash, if that. DitR is even worse though, as in the act of trying to deconstruct fan fiction cliches, it's absolutely awfully written, and the ideas are both trite and trying too hard to be edgy.

>>15480842
I think it's meant to be a parody of how oc self inserts suddenly become incredibly important and the canonical characters insist on interacting with them, but it just kind of comes across as being a fan fiction where the character has an unwarranted amount of attention directed towards himself.
>>
>>15476956
>Essential /jp/ literature.
It's The Room of 2hu. Actually, even that might be too genereous.

By the end I had no idea what the hell the author wanted to say with it anymore.
>>
>>15480625
Liking it is fine; hell, I like a lot of things that a lot of people would call shitty.

BUT

If you're calling it well-written, then we need to talk.

>>15480842
>Reisen
That's one thing I don't think I'd ever understand.
Reisen is a youkai, with long lifespan and possibly a lot of life experiences.
Yet in DitR, you would be forgiven to think that she's a young inexperienced school girl who never know what "love" is, with how she clings to Brolli, a human with a relatively short lifespan, that badly.

>>15480864
Ah, sorry for snapping off like that. This particular subject matter is a bit too touchy for me.

Which is sad because in the right context, those particular scenes could probably make me laugh a bit.
>>
>>15482219
Rant Warning:

That's only really part of the problem. You can, with some extreme character bending, write that off as the result of a PTSDed mind, which is not canon but whatever.

The real problem is just that Brolli is a fucking shitbag. He goes around with more arrogance than Tenshi and randomly murders Kaguya. And somehow this solipsistic personality is extrapolated onto the story, where Gensokyo fights a civil war on which side of him they are on. The author fucked up the deconstruction by playing one of the most important parts of a Gary Stu completely straight---everything is about him. The fact that we're supposed to feel sorry for him in the end just pours salt on the wound because "Ermagerd he just wants to be happy". No, fuck you. Starving children in the Congo and traumatized war veterans want to be happy too but THEY don't fucking go around fucking everything up. Especially poignant is that people seem to still trust these gappies even after one of them murdered all of the human children, like WTF mate?

A realistic telling would be that Brolli gets dropped in, word goes around that he's dangerous, and then he gets ganked by a shit load of people and dies. His remains are made into a nice stew while he gets to opportunity to reincarnate as a less-shitty person. The end.

Also Gensokyo isn't medieval, it's fucking Meiji-era.
>>
>>15482753
>murdered all the human children
It's implied that a lot of people are lying to Broli about the actions of previous gappies. You really think Yuuka would get raped and hide human children in a ditch?
>>
File: confused guya.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
confused guya.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
>>15475816
Wait, so it's a dark end edgy fanfic using Walfas art? And some people take it seriously?
What the flying fuck.
>>
>>15482753
Yeah that isn't even the actual problem. The problem is that NOTHING makes any sense.
>>
File: angry_bird.png (163 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
angry_bird.png
163 KB, 600x500
>>15483222
So seriously in fact, that those same people consider this to be the epitome of Touhou fanfic.
Those people should stop reading too much fanfic and start reading the official works.
>>
The creator now aware of this thread.

http://spaztique.tumblr.com/post/146833850688/hey-spaz-an-anon-4chan-made-a-ditr-thread-and#notes

>say you’re allowed to dislike DitR all you want. The complaints you guys have are the common ones. I seriously wish I could’ve gotten /jp/ to co-write the original DitR in the first place, because they caught so many more details that me, my friends, and my fans missed in the original draft. Hell, I welcome those complaints in the event DitR ever gets remade (and the goal will be to address every flaw everyone pointed out).

>If you guys want a personal statement from me explaining DitR, I wrote it as a way of saying, “Look, Touhou fans, this is what people consider ‘the ideal Touhou fanfic.’ But is it really the ideal?” My personal ideal is really anything that looks like the games or comics, but everytime I beta-read Touhou fanfics, that was what everyone was shooting for, and I wanted to shine a spotlight on that. So, because of that, I’m all for anyone hating DitR for what it is. There is an unironic actual fanbase for DitR, some who like it because it is “the ideal Touhou fanfic” (in giant quotes) or because it’s pulling Poe’s Law on “the ideal Touhou fanfic,” but I won’t knock anyone for also only liking it for being cringeworthy. After all, that was basically the intent, and the only difference in the two groups is whether you go in thinking, “That was the point,” or, “Spaz really missed the point.” I’m fine with any reaction, just as long as it doesn’t result in more fanfics like the archetype DitR tried pulling off. And due to the many PMs I get from fanfic writers saying they’re going to scrap their OC-driven grimderp-fest and work on vanilla Touhou works, I’d say it did its job as a necessary evil.

>So, discuss it all you want, hate it all you want, like it, dislike it, defend it, damn it, it’s all fine by me. As I’ve said in the past (this isn’t the first time I’ve been contacted by Anonymous), I love discussions like these because it’s living proof that Touhou has a dedicated fanbase and they’re willing to defend the source material. Discuss away, I say! Even if you don’t like it! I never went into DitR wanting to make a story everyone was going to like anyway: it was designed to piss people off. So, your reactions are well-warranted.

>I say keep doing what you’re doing, /jp/, even if we don’t see eye-to-eye on everything.
>>
>>15480600
Maybe deep inside, he wants to end the walfas but he is probably scared of the backlash as the walfas have a community for some reason.
>>
>>15484025
>some of those people browse /jp/
ayy lmao
>>
>>15484059
We've got people of your post quality here, so why not?
>>
>>15475636
Walfas would be 10/10 without his dumb faggot oc. Take that out and it's a cute art style with a lot of versatility.
>>
>>15484025
Honestly seems like a pretty cool guy who takes critiscism well
>>
>>15480829
>>15446447
There is a DBZ dark edgy super ninja saiyan mexicans walfas fic.
>>
>>15484028
I maintain that he completely failed at conveying the message the story intended to. However, as a cringey work designed to ward off other grimderp OC fics, it has succeeded wonderfully. If that was the intention then yes, the story is excellent.
>>
>>15475636
I'll put simple for you OP.

If you were japanese, and draw a properly manga with cute girls and stuff... everyone here would suck your cock regardless if your work is edgy or not.
look for example CIS.

but sadly you're not, and also you're using walfas so don't feel so sad if no one here likes what you do.
>>
>>15475636
It's a shit
>>
>>15480716
So it's like every deconstruction. Bad writing and bad fanfiction.
>>
>>15485062
>If you were japanese, and draw a properly manga with cute girls and stuff... everyone here would suck your cock regardless if your work is edgy or not.
This, if the art is good, people will ignore if the content is retarded ultra-secondary trash.
>>
>>15485062
>>15486479
Show us on the doll where mik-cis touched you.
>>
I watched the whole thing on YouTube over the course of two nights, so I guess it wasn't the worst thing ever.

Fucking walfas, though.
>>
>>15484179
Are these people on the same group of walfas community?
>>
>>15475636
Watched it a few months ago. I liked it, though looking back on it the plot is incredibly stupid and incoherent.

It also feels...absolutely disproportionate to what it's criticizing. It's FOUR fucking hours long. Shitty self-insert fan fiction is not some moral scourge that needs a four-hour long castigation.

It's like Spaztique solved a bug infestation by burning the ENTIRE neighborhood down. Was this really necessary?

I dunno, I'm not much of a fanfic writer anymore so I don't know how prevelant that shit was. About the only 2hu fanfic I've ever wanted to write was one about a hypothetical son of Yukari and maybe some trashy self-insert harem because harems are great.
>>
>>15494147
I read a fanfic of that first type a while back. It was ok, but I'm not sure the author had and endgame.
>>
I don't follow fanfics much outside of morbid curiosity, but I've heard about one where Yuyuko or Remilia or someone talks about Jesus and nobody can fly or some shit. Is this worse or better than that?
>>
>>15482753
>15482753
Wait, we're supposed to feel sorry for Brolli at the end? I just thought he got what he deserved. It's tragic in a way, yes, but the message still seemed to very much be "This is a direct result of his actions and he's the one responsible for this outcome".

Then again I watched this like 2 years ago so I might've forgotten parts about the ending.
>>
>>15484151
Someone I knew met him irl, he's a weird spergy guy.
But so is /jp/ I guess.

>>15484025
And if you're reading this, whoever, please don't make another deconstruction of fanfictions. Fanfiction deconstruction are rarely ever funny, rarely ever bring anything new to the table, and should never run for as long as DitR. Most of the time, they just get so up their ass trying to provide examples of how not to write that they forget to make something that's entertaining. The entire concept of your story just reeks of someone that spends too much time reading things that just amount to childish experiments into the art of writing, and getting angry over things written by people who clearly don't know what they're doing and don't have the experience to write anything better.
>B-but people aren't making OCs anymore!
Oh yeah no fantastic, instead of making shitty OCs, people will start to take established characters and try to force them to fit into a certain characterization in order to make their story work, completely destroying what the character is supposed to be in the process. Have you ever stopped to consider that, perhaps, OCs are simply one tool of many? That original characters can in fact be used correctly, in order to enhance a story and bring forth a character to fill a certain roll that an established character simply couldn't? I mean yeah it gets used poorly more often than not in fanfiction, but most fanfiction is going to be shit anyway, with or without OC.
>>
A thing I haven't seen anyone say before, that one of the parts where it really lost the plot was when everyone going crazy, wrecking shit and causing probably way more damage than the main character was treated as dindu nuffin.
>>
>>15495487
>Wait, we're supposed to feel sorry for Brolli at the end?
No? I mean, I guess you could but
>"This is a direct result of his actions and he's the one responsible for this outcome".
is pretty much what you're supposed to get out of it.
>>
>>15493673
Yeah. One thing I noticed that most of the group member seems not really to care of genuine Touhou works. They using walfas create what it looks like Touhou, but the reality that they add or insert their own imagination version of it. Just ask these guys that did they know that ZUN visited USA nowadays? No, they prefer to stay inside their bubble of ignorance about Touhou works.
>>
>>15496358
I'm a primary and I found out about ZUN's visit in the same day it happened. Might want to use a different metric.
>>
>>15496496
To be fair, I believe it was only announced like a week before the event.
God I hate NIS so fucking much for that.
>>
>>15496358
ZUN visited the USA?
>>
>>15495487
Yeah, Tenshi does a whole speech at the end chastising everybody and the viewer for laughing at his corpse, when "He just wanted to be happy and it's Yukari's fault for dumping sociopaths into a meat grinder."
>>
>>15496067
Agreed.
>>
>>15497574
Why should the viewer even take Tenshi seriously? Before that moment, she portrayed zero redeeming qualities.
>>
>>15503691
Because she had a good point.
>>
>>15503730
As much as I would like to debate that, I never bothered actually watching the ending (the cringe had just gotten to be to much by the penultimate episode), so all I know about the ending is through what I've been told. Including, apparently, miscarriages being played for laughs?
>>
>>15503763
>laughs
No, just cheap shock value.
>>
>>15503777
>cheap shock value
Wow, that's even worse. That's cliche as fuck and offensive for the sake of being offensive. It's humorous that he's trying to satirize fan fictions, only to do something that a shitty fan fiction would totally do and playing it straight.
Of course, it's not like this even was even shocking. The story is about as subtle foreshadowing it as a jackhammer is stealthy.
>>
>>15503777
>>15503822
No, it WAS played for laughs. It even included a callback to similar, earlier scene that was played for laughs.
>>
>>15503826
Ok, and that's only slightly less awful and contrived. Or more, even. It would fit I suppose if the series established itself as being heavy on dark humor, but it really doesn't.
Oh, remember that time rape was used as a serious plot device?
>B-but it was a lie!
Who cares? He still used rape as a plot device.
>>
>>15503730
What point? He was more or less acts like a complete sociopath, and not the Dexter kind that has redeeming qualities. I said before and I'll say it again, according to Touhou CANON such people are food for youkai, period. No sympathy or value.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.