[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Check this out, /jp/. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfO wf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: rovr_davidtai_01.jpg (289 KB, 1278x712) Image search: [Google]
rovr_davidtai_01.jpg
289 KB, 1278x712
Check this out, /jp/.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfOwfLxHCXY

Pretty cool, huh?
Skip ahead to 5:20 - He starts showing off the mechanics
13:40 - starts to move around and explore
20:20 - combat mechanics demonstrated
32:20 - Payon looks amazing
>>
File: rovr_davidtai_03.jpg (249 KB, 1278x712) Image search: [Google]
rovr_davidtai_03.jpg
249 KB, 1278x712
>>
File: rovr_davidtai_04.jpg (236 KB, 1278x712) Image search: [Google]
rovr_davidtai_04.jpg
236 KB, 1278x712
>>
>>15457714
But can I hug a Kafra?
>>
Is he hopping on a stationary spot, with the gyro reading that as "go forward"? The movement is the huge problem yet to be solved and I don't yet see a good solution that doesn't cause simulation sickness besides teleportation. The thought of VR-mmo is incredible immersive but it's really not a good match to our current tech for now.

Combat of course has huge potential with the accuracy these controllers can provide, swordplay, weaving magic, throwing spears, shooting arrows... etc.
>>
VR is a shitty gimmick.

See how motion controls and the kinect panned out.
>>
>>15458179
If you're serious, it's not a gimmick anymore. After 30 years we finally have consumer level devices that actually work. I suggest you try the Vive if you happen to get the chance.
>>
>>15458094
1200z
>>
>>15458110
The only way that that type of open world movement could be readily applied with current tech is some kind of multidirectional treadmill, which would be stupidly expensive for home systems.

I also think that having to do things like fully move for combat, swordplay, moving your arms around to select things from a menu, bending to pick up items, etc, would be incredibly fatiguing. Not bad if you play maybe one hour a day at most, but for people who like to play MMOs for multiple hours at a time, it seems like it would really be limiting. It really seems just inconvenient. Motion sickness or disconnect between what you're doing and what you see in game could be a hefty problem too especially if you want to play things that are more fast paced than RO or something.

VR is something I'd love to try as like a once a week thing in a big arcade with dedicated machines for it, or with driving games or something. But I wouldn't want it as a replacement for just basic home videogames, the entire setup seems very inconvenient. Especially for things like Vive where you're going to have to be dedicating a large segment of your house, or garage, or floorspace (which some people might not have to spare).
>>
>>15458204
VR is an expensive piece of junk that adds almost nothing to gameplay
>>
>>15458824
Yes it is not for everything. Like the MMO demoed here is just a concept that I don't really see working for now. It's good that things are being tried. I hope we get some games designed specifically to make use of VR. I think it will really take off once we get things like haptic gloves, maybe next generation already.

About swordplay, there really is no "good" way to do that on a keyboard and mouse. Of course there was games like Die by the Sword, but it was clunky as fuck. But to land that good hit felt really good, and I imagine it's many times more that in VR.

I think that will be it's make or break, is the immersiveness factor so big that people are willing to do that extra shit? We know that sitting is already bad for your health. Also people don't want to walk from town to town even in current MMOs, they use fast travel of some kind, so it's not really big deal. But that's if the tech will allow walking one day.

Many times there will be no use for VR. In a spectacle fighter you're doing incredible moves that there is no way to control that in person (fast games). In shooters, the only thing that immediately comes to mind as "that should work", is realistic military shooters. The main VR use is currently quite limited to controlling a vehicle. Where you sit down. And as a simulator guy I'm already very happy with that.

>>15458829
Gameplay, not until game design catches up. But if you don't care about the immersion factor, it's already not for you. It's kind of like preferring books to movies, because you get to use your imagination.

VR will not replace "flat games", but it will bring new experiences, also in other areas like virtual attendance to various events around the world.

Sage because my post has little to do with otaku culture.
>>
>>15457714
I hate so fucking much how you move by teleporting in all these VR games, is it so hard to desgin a left hand controller with an analog like the Wii does? Sure you lose control on the left hand but it's way better than teleporting all the time.
>>
>>15461525
Weak stomached manchildren complain that having a VR headset on and "moving" while not moving your feet causes motion sickness or something. So they just plain don't give you the option to.
>>
>>15461525
You can move by just running in place like the guy also demonstrates.
As for, why not just use an analog/thumbstick controller, as >>15461561
and >>15458110 explained, it supposedly causes simulation sickness.
>>
>>15461619
The only people it affects are the type of people that get motion sickness from reading in a vehicle.
>>
>>15458179
Baby steps, anon.
The world will unfortunately be filled with this gimmicky stuff for a few more years, but the developers of the hardware and software will learn from these things and improve upon it.

>>15461627
Dang- that that includes me. Oh well. It's not like I can afford any of this stuff anyway.
>>
I wonder what happened to all the sluts that used to play RO back in the days.
>>
>>15457714
>It's been 15 years
I'm amazed this is still a thing.
>>
>>15461681
Still, to this day, it's the only good MMO to ever be made.
>>
>>15461681
What the other anon said. If I ever had a chance to play the game again with friends I'd do it.
>>
I like that you can personally dodge an attack. I wonder how stats like agi and dex will work.
>>
>>15457714
what's he saying? I don't speak rat
>>
He should put triggers on those things, right trigger is move forward, left trigger is move back. Jumping up and down would tire anyone and is a stupid method of travel in a world as big as RO
>>
I started to play RO again recently against my better judgment

Still as comforting as I remember, but the grind really doesn't mess around

On topic, as interesting as this VR adaption looks, I don't think it fits RO very well.
Isometric gameplay doesn't mesh well with first person.
Plus, the visuals are very outdated and much more noticeably so in this view.

If he tries to get a team together to work on an original title though, that might be something.
But the teleporting/jogging in place has to go. I haven't tried VR but the motion sickness people talk about can't
be THAT bad from using a d-pad / stick to move while you sit on your ass.

Plus there's this tech coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Li_1xQV_Hs
>>
>>15462195
That's some cyborg level shit. Samsung has similar idea (Entrim 4D headphones). It's interesting times we live in.
>>
>>15458950
Holy fuck its a novel
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.