[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between an Idol and a Singer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: kumi-koda-07.jpg (600 KB, 931x1280) Image search: [Google]
kumi-koda-07.jpg
600 KB, 931x1280
Could I say that Idols usually are the prettier girls?

And singers are the ugly girls that didn't make the cut, so they had to become singers?
>>
Idols are like boy or girl bands or popular singers who have an atmosphere around them, an appearance that is presented to people. A singer is anyone who sings.

Although idol also expands into basically anything you'd call a model in the west, but you're talking about singing idols.

I'd say the thing that distinguishes them mostly is that idols don't tend to play instruments while they're singing.
>>
>>15413681
So Taylor Swift would be an Idol by japanese standards?
>>
>>15413692
I don't think so. Think anyone involved in Disney's teen targeted shows as well as in singing for them.
>>
>>15413608
Not so. There are some frankly ugly idols and some very good looking singers.

Idols are jack of all trades, master of none entertainers who mainly make a living off being attractive, having an exaggerated, endearing personality, and being seen. They need to be viewed as being very approachable to their fans and so have a more stringent moral image to uphold. Singing isn't often or doesn't need to be a strong suit, it's just one thing among many an idol needs to be able to do somewhat.

Of course, needing to be able to sing isn't a requirement for gravure idols or the like, who are simply analogous to models. Though gravure idols may dabble in music, or music idols do gravure and other modeling on the side, or whatever.

Singers may have to pay their dues as an idol before being able to shed the idol tag. Singers of this type rather simply age out of being an idol if they make it that far. Not all singers need to do so, of course.

There are many who are presented solely as musicians from the outset. But this would likely be the top tier of musical and singing talent in a talent agency. Said agency would want to push this talent as a "serious" musician from the outset, without needing/wanting them to cut their teeth as an idol.

But like I referred to earlier, there's plenty of crossover. Even a serious singer may and probably will do modeling without really being an "idol".
>>
Singers are talented
>>
A singer is a singer. An idol's equivalent in the west that I can think of was Britney Spears back in the day, right down to the purity contract.
>>
>>15413964
She's not unique. People just don't focus on how much singers/idols are controlled in America because it's not wacky Japan.
>>
>>15413865
>They need to be viewed as being very approachable to their fans
Isn't that an AKB48 thing?
>>
>>15414006

I know she's not unique, but her situation was so similar and public that it's the easiest to recall.
>>
>>15413608
>Idol
Only girl on stage, maybe with other girls.
They wiggle around and pretend the sing, the more of them there are, the less their voice has to be good.
Pre-recorded music from some guy with a mixer behind stage.
>Singer
Part of a band where everybody is on stage doing their thing.
Not expected to dance around and be cute, but to have a good voice to compliment everybody else's playing.
Center stage, but not always the center of attention.
Sometimes pretends to play a guitar if they really want to be the center of attention.

The difference is focus. Are we only supposed to care about the cute girl and not her generic music? Are we here for the music and the band effort?
>>
Idols sleep with the old boss
Singers don't
>>
>>15414771
>Sometimes pretends to play a guitar if they really want to be the center of attention.
Lol'd. I've seen this before...
>>
>>15414043
Most of them do, AKB just gets the most publicity and criticism for it.
>>
>>15414771
>Sometimes pretends to play a guitar if they really want to be the center of attention.

Oh come on, some of them can do both.
>>
>>15414043
There are literally hundreds of idol groups, and you can meet and talk to almost all of them. In most cases it's basically their main source of revenue, idol wota will often spend thousands of dollars a year on handshakes and photos, so a group needs relatively few hardcore fans to stay afloat financially.

AKB just proved that you can scale that shit up to industrial levels.
>>
>>15415885
Literally anybody can slam the same four chords and call it a song.
>>
>>15415588
>Singers don't

Are you that delusional?
>>
>>15413692
by japanese standards Taylor Swift would be a hooker on a red light district
>>
>>15418767
lmao
>>
Is Miku an idol or a singer?
>>
>>15421365
Miku is an instrument.
>>
>>15421593
I've listened to idols without really knowing what they look like. Actually I don't get invested unless I like their music.

I know you exaggerated for effect but there are many exceptions both ways.

It seems even in the western pop scene it is important to have an attractive front figure to become popular. Yes ugly people often still write the music.

You're a bit correct on that in Japan, if you want a career as singer but don't have what it takes, you could instead an idol. As mentioned earlier idol is more of an entertainer. But there are also idols that are genuinely talented singers. Personally when listening to idols I often note things like how cute, unique or just plain fun the performance is, rather than concentrating on skill (not that these are mutually exclusive, ie being skilled is sometimes what enables one to get a little silly).

Anyway it's hard to say what is the difference of art and entertainment.
>>
Idols are virgins and have no bf/gf while singers need not be
>>
>>15413692
With an idol the person is the product. With a singer the music is the product.
>>
>>15415588
People keep saying this shit about everyone in the Japanese entertainment industry but never post any proof.
>>
>>15421870
So, you are telling me Taylor Swift would sell as well as she does now if she was a fat ugly bald nigger woman?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.