[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the reason for the existence of the Hakurei Barrier and Spellcard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1464920589515.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464920589515.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
If the reason for the existence of the Hakurei Barrier and Spellcard Rules was to preserve the races of all yokai or all things forgotten because the outside world was shifting from spiritual belief to scientific why didn't the yokai just start going through massive serial killing sprees before the "need" of the Hakurei barrier since Spellcards rules just exist to harm but not kill the human residents to keep the faith going?

How would an area as small as Gensokyo which is supposedly based around one mountain in Japan be able to feed all the faith needed to keep all these monstrously powerful demons, vampires, devils, fairies alive and other realms like the underworld running in their pocket universe?

I'm I reading too far into this shit?
>>
>>15386882
1. Science is supposed to kill the fear of the unknown. Scientific explanations for monstrous/divine activity causes a loss of the belief that they need to live.

2. The gap hag led a failed invasion of the moon to learn how the barrier they made to hide from the rest of us worked and copied it to the best of her ability. The only part of the Barrier anyone on the not-Gensokyo side can interact with is the Hakurei Shrine which exists on both sides as an anchor.

3. Yes you are.
>>
>>15386937
>Scientific explanations
It doesn't matter how fucking deep science would try to go into explaining the powers of Touhou characters, people here already disregard science and claim a door has the face of Jesus, the Earth is flat and that the presidents are actually shape-shifting reptiles.
The village of Gensokyo couldn't max out over 1,000 to maybe 2,000 villagers. If they can generate enough faith for all this shit, the population of the real world could hyper-charge them.
>>
>>15386937
>>15386958
Hell 1/4th of the American population still believes the Sun orbits the Earth.
Gap hag is hogging the power.
Down with the queen.
>>
>>15386882
That's my image kid.

Watch your self.
>>
>>15386882
>I'm I reading too far into this shit?
If you're trying to read into anything involving touhou, you're reading too far into it.
Just enjoy what it is.
>>
>>15386968
>>15386958
Science has disproven that an echo is just sound being reflected back from a long way away, not a monster repeating anything you say back at you. That the monster actually exists does not mean the scientific, and less fear-inducing than a supposedly man-eating monster, reason is false.
>>
>>15387287
Doesn't change that if the monster still exists, out of fear people would lean on the idea it's a monster rather than a harmless echo since you wouldn't want to take the chance of it coming after you.
Superstition is still a powerful thing in our world.
>>
>>15386882
>why didn't the yokai just start going through massive serial killing sprees before the "need" of the Hakurei barrier since Spellcards rules just exist to harm but not kill the human residents to keep the faith going?

Because while they have strong physical abilities, humans can still kill them. A combination of remaining spiritual belief, science, and faith in their destructive weapons would have ended the youkai altogether.
>>
>>15387797
What if faith increases their power?

How ya gonna deal with yokais powered by billions of scared human anon?
>>
>>15387958
I would ask what the fuck you're thinking and taking about.

Youkai would be killed by mikos and other spiritually powerful figures and youkai hunters and that would be the end of them.
>>
File: 31363u_enlarge[1].jpg (363 KB, 725x364) Image search: [Google]
31363u_enlarge[1].jpg
363 KB, 725x364
>>15386882
>why didn't the yokai just start going through massive serial killing sprees
Because paradox, read mage: the awakening rulebooks, they're pretty much the same concept except they pertain to a whole reality-wide war whereas Gensokyo would be a lightly defended hamlet
Essentially, belief has the ability to destroy the supernatural in our enlightened time, so as long as they do nothing everything's alright, and they can bend reality a little on the outside of the barrier because of suspension of disbelief for minor supernatural occurrences, but when you start throwing fireballs in akihabara and melting people's faces off, reality will pimpslap you out of existence and the background for the barrier supports these comparisons between settings or maybe they're the same one
>>
>>15386882
I'm about to get real meta with you, son. Gensokyo's outside world -is- meant to be our world. Not just a characterization of our world, but literally our world, and Gensokyo is set in it. In reality, do youkai and the like exist? No. How can we say so? Due to scientific investigation and skepticism.

In-universe, from the perspective of Gensokyo, the youkai migrated across the Barrier because it supplied them with a better source of belief, where contact with humans didn't just result in skepticism. From our perspective, magic is "made" real in Gensokyo and youkai are "given" visible forms, but from their perspective, they've always had these forms and magic has existed regardless.

And yet, because the outside world is our world, they have to abide by history up to the extent that they can argue history wasn't properly recorded (like in the case of Prince Shotoku). Since we in modern times can't say that there was actually a youkai that caused some large-scale incident to try and get attention, such an event didn't ever happen. Rather, even if in-universe such a thing did happen in the outside world, we've rationalized it away through whatever means.

So from the perspective of youkai living in the outside world, it's meaningless to try and go against the flow, because modern humans will rationalize it away. For some youkai like tanuki who can blend in, this isn't a problem. But the reason youkai don't make a scene in reality is because youkai don't actually exist, of course. How can we say so? Due to scientific investigation and skepticism, right?

That's the kind of meta that's going on.
>>
>>15395044
>or maybe they're the same one
Nah, everybody knows that Gensokyo is Japanese Discworld and runs on narrativium.
>>
>>15395176
Don't ever speak in that tone again.
>>
>>15395213
i refuse
>>
>>15395176
>I'm about to get real meta with you, son. Gensokyo's outside world -is- meant to be our world. Not just a characterization of our world, but literally our world
Okay, show me where Sumireko is and the big gaping hole left by the Moriya Shrine and connected lake when they vanished out of blue in 2007.
>>
>>15396327
>Okay, show me where Sumireko is
I think he meant "literally" as in "of the exact same composition/perspective"

>and the big gaping hole left by the Moriya Shrine and connected lake when they vanished out of blue in 2007
The thing is, one of three things would happen in the aftermath of the scenario:
1. It would aggravate people's curiosity in the event to the extent that it would threaten Gensokyo

2. It would be rationalized away

3. The process which was performed erased Moriya shrine from the world we know in such a way that is also removed in the minds and memories of everyone around it

I think 2&3 are likely. For 2, the locals could explain away by:
>Sinkhole and/or local Earthquake
>Underground (crime) activity
>Government interference (while the government was apathetic)

It could also be that people just didn't really care about the shrine and the lake, since they were gods destined to disappear, so it was noticed only casually.

For #3, this would be related to Sanae's ability to perform miracles. I could see a scenario where Kanako and Suwako knew of a particularly fortuitous day, and gave Sanae an early warning to begin performing the miracle relating to the shrine, such that it would have the most potency in that one instance. And well, to quote Insane Clown Posse:

>Magic everywhere in this bitch. It's all around you, you don't even know it. Magic everywhere in this bitch. Shit's crazy

It could very well be that a sudden lack of awareness of the Moriya Shrine was a part of that miracle.
>>
>>15396917
3 is so fucking ridiculous it makes it really damn hard for me to take you and your post seriously.

2 seems like what would have happened, though. After all, it's the same reason why youkai need Gensokyo.
>>
>>15396327
Somebody call the police! This anon is trying to track down a teenaged girl!
>>
>>15396327
You sound very silly saying that. Pretty sure you know what was meant.
Well, according to the series Sumireko would be a human that exists in reality, but obviously she's still only a character. Meanwhile though some characters are implicitly supposed to be real people (Mokou, Miko, maybe Kosuzu, Yuyuko's ancestor), so hey.

>and the big gaping hole left by the Moriya Shrine and connected lake when they vanished out of blue in 2007
They never said the old shrine and lake just vanished, despite saying they "moved" them. Similar to the legendary version of Mt. Yatsugatake being Youkai Mountain in Gensokyo while the real Yatsugatake range still exists, there can be an illusionary Moriya Shrine and lake in Gensokyo while Lake Suwa and the Suwa Taisha outside exist. That's how it's described in Kanako's profile as well; that it was made illusionary.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.