[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people still create independent fansites these days? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Do people still create independent fansites these days?

It seems that fans these days mostly just collect themselves on forums or social media, and when they do go through the trouble of putting together a website it's usually just a Wikia.
>>
>>15345239
If you remember the early- to mid-2000s, before "social" media a lot of fan communities organized on free websites like Livejournal, Deviantart and Geocities.

Hell, "Livejournal" used to be shorthand for the type of ridiculous drama that "Tumblr" is now known for.
>>
Social media is the future of the Internet. Whether you like it or not, you have to deal with it.
>>
I feel like I've seen more than a few /jp/sies out there who have their own websites.

>>15345335
Geocities pages are still pretty different from the rest. It was free hosting, but the websites were independent, and there was no central database concept of "posting" or anything like that. I feel like I remember a lot of character shrines and little fan sites from back then.

>>15345341
There should be antisocial media, it would be a refreshing change of pace.

Although I suppose even we're posting on a social media platform literally right now.
>>
>>15345514
>Geocities pages are still pretty different from the rest. It was free hosting, but the websites were independent, and there was no central database concept of "posting" or anything like that.

But there were link lists and web rings and web portals

>There should be antisocial media, it would be a refreshing change of pace.
What, some site that no one ever visits?

>>15345239
There's not really a reason since you can get information on stuff easier now, it's not just one dude talking about an anime only he and a couple friends saw. There are still sites dedicated to all kinds of stupid shit, inane shit though. There's no point to a character shrine because of boorus and stuff, although people should go hunt down older shrines and stuff because there may be images lost in time.

Even stuff like tumblr lets you make your own web page about whatever the fuck though.
>>
>>15345557
>But there were link lists and web rings and web portals
Social media is built around a content subscription model. People subscribe to things and all of their updates are collected into a feed for them for them to view and possibly comment on. That's completely different from a big pile of web pages that just link to each other because it changes the way that content is uploaded, shared, and talked about. But then, probably one of the reasons that the new web is winning is because it's just so much easier to upload and share content on it.

I guess with the near-total centralization of art hosting, video hosting, and download repositories, the process by which you have to actually mine little websites looking for shards of content is pretty much deprecated. I did appreciate the anon who managed to dig up the first Koakuma picture ever from the archive of some ancient fansite.

>What, some site that no one ever visits?
I think the typical /jp/ site is actually like this
>>
Social media isn't exactly very social, people hardly ever talk to me on it.
>>
>>15345679
So you mean like with RSS, which has been around longer than modern times.

>>15345680
I don't use modern blogging sites, but from what I've seen of them, people just link to stuff they saw and then other people link to that with barely a comment or anything. They might as well have not seen it at all.

>>15345679
>I guess with the near-total centralization of art hosting, video hosting, and download repositories, the process by which you have to actually mine little websites looking for shards of content is pretty much deprecated
Not even that, it's easier now even to just do a simple search and get more than enough images of anything or links to watch the thing itself on some video site without the results having to be on one site.

There's nothing special about dinky little sites with shitty fanart on them, and artists still have sites/blogs like that anyway.
>>
TH-P is sadly still around.
>>
Stop ruining my false nostalgia with actual facts, you're draining the romance from the world

>>15345810
>There's nothing special about dinky little sites with shitty fanart on them, and artists still have sites/blogs like that anyway.
I suppose so. A lot of the independent sites that are still active these days seem to be translator's blogs, since they're one of the few things whose content you can't instantly get elsewhere.

Other than that I guess some independent imageboards and self-hosted radio streams are still out there in the wild...
>>
>>15345810
>So you mean like with RSS, which has been around longer than modern times.
RSS is technically not social media, since the content flow is one-way. Social media is defined by the ability to upload as well as download.
>>
>>15345239
I miss this too. Like when people would make shrines dedicated to their favourite characters. I've been tempted to do one for my waifu, but I don't know anything about hosting and whatnot.
>>
>>15345908
So BBS and forums are social media platforms?
>>
>>15345514
Isn't geocites still up in Japan?
Tell me about the jap web. What are some cool old Japanese sites to look at?
>>
>>15346252
http://www.geocities.jp/lledoece/nanaca-crash.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Yoyo/1736/

Also angelfire is still up in the west
http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/loren_ward/
>>
>>15346397
>Also angelfire is still up in the west
>http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/loren_ward/
I miss the pre-social media internet.
>>
>>15346479
I miss pre-phoneposting 4chan
>>
>>15346493
This. I don't care about social media, but remove phone compatibility shit.

>>15346479
What in particular? People are still socializing and relinking the site from their own sites.
>>
>>15346100
Probably, yeah.
>>
>>15345239
I don't think there is need for fan pages anymore, when most things have pretty extensive official sites nowadays.
>>
I don't know about you guys, but one thing that's put me off from posting on fansites these days is privacy.

I'm worried that if I post on a site or something, one day it'll get pwn'd by some crackers, and the database will be dumped to the internet. Then everyone's usernames, emails and IP addresses will be exposed, and it'll be corelated with other public data out there which will then be pinpointed back to me.

Then everyone will know what kind of strange things I like to talk about.
>>
>>15348406
IPs aren't such a big deal, but emails can lead to all sorts of unfortunate things.

That's why I use two, one for things I like and another for things I don't quite trust.
>>
>>15348406
Unless you're somewhat famous in society, no one care about your weird fetishes. Most people on the internet has one or two nowadays.
>>
>>15348482
Yes, IPs are less personally-identifying than something like an email. But sometimes sites, such as Wikipedia if you do an anonymous edit for example, do publically link your IP address to a username. Even just googling my own IP address now, it reveals a trail that some of the people in my LAN thought was anonymous, because the sites they used published their IP address.

So if lewdreimupc98.com gets pwn'd, and the IP addresses are publically leaked, it can easily be correlated with the shit I thought I anonymously edited on Wikipedia a long time ago.

I'm aware that this is, perhaps, paranoia, but my thinking is that once something gets on the internet, it stays on the internet. Forever. And I have no idea how that data will be used in the future, or what kind of data-mining techniques will be used on it someday.
>>
>>15348521
I do agree with your "it only matters if you're famous" sentiment, anon. I am aware that literally nobody gives a shit about what I do on the internet.

My only fear, like I said earlier, is data mining improving to an appreciable degree in the future. Where finding embarassing shit on someone will be trivial and easy, and anyone will be able to do it. So if an employer wants to look me up for example, he can instantly figure out all the sites I've visited, how often, what I've posted, and tools will visualize my aggregated web-usage patterns. And data mining will be so advanced that tools will be able to know who I am even on 4chan, based on my speech patterns.

I have now indulged in my tinfoil hat. It is now off.
>>
>>15348576
I doubt it'll headed into that direction in the near future because of muh privacy. And anonymity technologies will also keep improving. Even if what you said come true, you can do the same to your employer. At least you guys have a level playing field.
>>
>>15348663
>ou can do the same to your employer. At least you guys have a level playing field.
Your employer probably has the resources to sue you or have you arrested for violating some obscure FCC law.
>>
/jp/ - Tinfoil Hat Culture
>>
>>15348576
This could only happen if you use your real name on sites like Facebook or your e-mail client.
If you actually do care about your privacy check this: https://www.privacytools.io/
>>
File: zun.jpg (101 KB, 1024x609) Image search: [Google]
zun.jpg
101 KB, 1024x609
>>15349654
違う!. This is /jp/, so we only have tinfoil bonnets here.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.