[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
took me a week to learn these. how fucked am i? will i ever learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
File: Capture.png (74 KB, 1123x761) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
74 KB, 1123x761
took me a week to learn these. how fucked am i? will i ever learn japanese
>>
>>15332551
>Not blocking the anti-ad ads
>>
>>15332624
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>15332551
You're going 3 times slower than the average human. Enjoy learning japanese by 2020.
>>
>>15332799
At least he'll be in time to get into stuff before the Great Olympic Purge of otaku material.
>>
>>15332799

2020 is 4 years from now. that's not that bad
>>
Just keep at it bro. When I was learning there were times when I felt I wasn't going anywhere and was making no progress, but I never gave up. Now I know Japanese and I get so much anime pussy it's fucking unreal. Damn.
>>
>>15332693
Whom*
>>
>>15333807
We're here to learn Japanese, not English.
>>
>>15332551
what site is this OP?
>>
>>15332551
Does it just throw random kanji at you? I could get a few of the ones you missed but I probably would have missed some of the ones you got right.
>>
>romaji pronunciation

No, you won't
>>
Relax, not everyone learns languages at the same speed and some learn it better through different methods.

Personally I remember everything better through association.
>>
>>15334039
Not OP, but it's Sporcle
>>
>>15334346
I asked OP, not you.
>>
File: Capture.png (55 KB, 997x685) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
55 KB, 997x685
>>15334296

i learn by taking quizzes on it. it helps me retain what i learned

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Littlechocoholic/beginner-japanese-kanji

take quizz. post results
>>
File: Capture.png (44 KB, 922x634) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
44 KB, 922x634
>>15336303
Hmm, I did way better than I thought. It feels like I don't learn a god damn thing and it's all hopeless but I guess the brain works in mysterious ways.
>>
File: sdf.jpg (38 KB, 933x78) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
38 KB, 933x78
>>15336303
Somehow I managed to forget 土

>>15336371
>Wow, you must eat glass for breakfast
>>
>>15332551
It took me three seconds to learn Hon from this picture, now I can speak French.
Why can't you be like me anon?
>>
>>15332551
You are using Chinese font instead of Japanese. You should change the font to avoid confusion in the future. Look at the 3rd stroke in 今 for example.
>>
File: 1450575392177.jpg (334 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1450575392177.jpg
334 KB, 800x800
>>15336518
>>
File: 1364064891408.png (166 KB, 305x512) Image search: [Google]
1364064891408.png
166 KB, 305x512
>>15332551
>十
>Jyuu
>>
>>15333733
What? What the fuck?! I thought that was in 15 years! Jesus Christ it's 2015?! What the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: kanjiquiz.png (12 KB, 938x94) Image search: [Google]
kanjiquiz.png
12 KB, 938x94
>>15336303
Didn't actually realize I knew this much. Only ones I didn't get are ones I've never learned yet.
>>
File: kita.png (44 KB, 959x632) Image search: [Google]
kita.png
44 KB, 959x632
>>15336397
At least you weren't like me and literally spent a minute trying to think of the isolated reading for hoku. I kept staring at it and thinking hoku.
>>
Recently started learning Japanese. What software/website is it?
Also how long would it take to speak kind of fluent Japanese in average?
>>
I really recommend against using any study method that has you review romaji instead of kana.
>>
>>15347205
You may be taking a long time to remember the reading, but when you do, it's like
キターーー(゜∀゜)ーーーー!!!!!
>>
First thing to remember: most Japs can't write kanji for shit. They're pretty much reliant on computer IMEs for that. Kanji is really something of a historical artifact, but Japan refuses to let go of it. So don't worry if you can't pass the kanji literacy tests. The big secret is, most Japanese can't either! All that matters is you know enough to read an average text without having to consult a dictionary every five seconds.
>>
I found that skimming through nico comments has drastically improved my kanji skills.
>>
>>15356791
>So don't worry if you can't pass the kanji literacy tests
wait do most use katakana and hiragana exclusively ? are hiragana and katakana like alphabets which Japanese can be written in? What is kanji?

explain to me how japanese works
>>
>>15357283
In common day texts like newspapers and such, kanji and hiragana generally show up at a 40/60 frequency, depending on what articles you're reading and such of course. For examples, go look at online news sites like NHK news or something - or NHK news easy if you're new to kanji.

Unlike Chinese where hanzi is the only script in use, typically if you do use hiragana in replacement of the kanji, people can still understand your general intentions via context. Also unlike Chinese where hanzi has traditional and simplified characters, Japanese only uses traditional kanji. Granted, they have some kanji that are unique to their own language.

derp's point about most people not being able to write is largely because most communication is handled via computer nowadays. Similar to how very few American teenagers write letters or manuscripts, the ease of using an IME has made handwriting a little bit "redundant" in cases outside of academic testing.

For an aged learner that isn't going to be studying and writing reports by hand, well some would feel that it's a waste of time. For a comparison, when you look at the Chinese IME input, you see pretty much the same phenomenon because Changjie uses root inputs rather than stroke input. (granted, Chinese IMEs have an inbuilt writing pad usually, so it's not a 1:1 comparison.)

For an English speaker the closest analogue for hiragana/katakana is an alphabet. But unlike Korean hangul (which fits the alphabet analogue much better), each individual character is standalone.

I wouldn't say that Kanji is necessarily archaic, or even considered an artifact considering it gets plenty of use. But its role has changed largely, again similar to how Hanja and Hangul's relationships changed dramatically as Korea was developed over time. Unfortunately there's not much of an analogue for that in English since English matured in a different way, and is pretty much a monolith in that sense.
>>
What reading is that even supposed to be? Like why is the correct answer for 日 にち, but 月 is つき?
>>
>>15357492
Both of those are onyomi readings, don't ask me why some of them are onyomi whereas others are kunyomi, the guy who made the thing probably went for "most common reading"
>>
>>15357492
wait I got mixed up with Monday abbrev. versus the Moon, assuming that whoever made this thing is going for the latter (makes more sense since this is supposed to be beginners) then it's kunyomi. Again, random scattering left and right with no real reason why.
>>
>>15356791
You're right that being able to read (or, for the rarer characters, just recognize) is enough, but modern Japanese really can't do without kanji. Just look at the second table here: http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/language/homophone.html
>>
So what is the best way to learn Kanji online?
>>
>>15336371
make sure you know the ones with a tricky pitch, too!
* 今 い↑ま↓ (as opposed to 居間 い↓ま↑) http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/search/index/sortprefix:accent/narabi1:kata_asc/narabi2:accent_asc/narabi3:mola_asc/yure:visible/curve:fujisaki/details:invisible/limit:20/word:%E3%81%84%E3%81%BE
* 中 な↑か↓ (BUT usually な↓か↑ in compounds)
>>
>>15333774
Sounds great bro. Now I'll learn it for sure too.
>>
>>15357470
So true when I got busted by cops last time I've been asked to write something I could barely remember how to do it. Also they were laughing at my hand writing. Was first time I've wrote anything for who know how many years.
>>
>>15332551
頑張って, anon!
I self-learned and am now in my second year of study. I can immediately recognize about 55 of those so if I can do it, you can! Don't give up! (∩; ・`д・´)∩
>>
>>15357841
In Japan you mean?

I have a literal clinical diagnosis that basically translates as "couldn't write if my life depended on it", so on forms I either get someone to scribe for me, or I take them home and attach my answers on a printed page.

But enough of my blogshit. Just remember your goal is to be able to communicate, not pass some abtruse literary examination.
>>
>>15357727
http://www.aozora.gr.jp/
>>
>>15358210
>http://www.aozora.gr.jp/
Man if you give him aozora that early anon might just end up lost.
>>
>>15339416
>OH MY GOD ITS CURRENT YEAR
>HOLY SHIT TIME IS PASSING
>>
File: Selection_006.png (72 KB, 925x649) Image search: [Google]
Selection_006.png
72 KB, 925x649
>>15336303

The only one I missed I never learned.
>>
File: score.png (42 KB, 946x718) Image search: [Google]
score.png
42 KB, 946x718
>>15336303
>>15362101
Same here. I've never seen it before though. For some reason I got stuck on 明日 for a while.
>>
>>15358425
so fucking lost i might as well throw bread crumbs around
>>
File: [email protected] (523 KB, 683x3122) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2016-06-09@04-09-02.png
523 KB, 683x3122
>>15332551
Jesus christ, use Anki. Whatever that website you are using looks just awful.
>>
>>15356791
>First thing to remember: most Japs can't write kanji for shit.
This is painfully wrong.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.