[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese author Tatsuhiko Takimoto has created meditation to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Japanese author Tatsuhiko Takimoto has created meditation to evoke Misaki into your life!

Please listen attentively
http://tatsuhikotakimoto.com/2016/04/27/misaki-evocation-meditation-english-ver-now-released/
>>
>>15215278
From making a story where the theme was only you can save yourself, to a meditation where you think about the girl who cant help you.

Also why are western VA's all shit? We have some great english VA's, yet it seems whenever it's something from Japan they pick the worst stuff.
>>
>>15215278
Is there a Japanese version?
>>
>>15215597
There is.
>>
>>15215497
>We have some great english VA's, yet it seems whenever it's something from Japan they pick the worst stuff.
Japanese studios can afford the good stuff, American translation companies can't. It might also be the case that some actors look down on Japanese cartoons.

One thing I don't understand is how they can use the same small pool of English VAs for so long, yet they haven't improved in voice acting at all.
>>
>>15215497
Even the biggest seiyuu cost fractions of Hollywood actors or VAs from 20+ year long-running shows like Simpsons, which is why you are able to hear Japanse people in all media (anime, games, foreign movie dubs, variety show narrations, mobile apps, GPS navigators, etc). Combine that with cheap localization budgets and you have the worst kind of environment for dubs.

>>15216584
They don't need to improve if they the same people get the roles. Localization companies are probably more than happy to work with the few people who are happy to work with their peanut budgets yet still good enough for the roles. It's the opposite in Japan where the competition is so fucking big that staying relevant for more than few years even after a huge breakthrough role is really hard.
>>
File: 1445043783501.jpg (235 KB, 451x1100) Image search: [Google]
1445043783501.jpg
235 KB, 451x1100
>>15216584
So big companies like Nintendo cant afford to hire the people Troika did?
Even for big franchises like FE?

Now I know this isnt Nintendo or anything. But my point was it seems they always, ALWAYS have terrible VA's for things coming from Japan. Yet the voice acting for games made in the west is sometimes passable or even very good. I dont get how translation teams fuck up so bad. Is it just nepotism?
>>
>>15215278
Shit man this was one of my first novels I read in Japanese

Good old days
>>
>>15215497
>>15216584
>>15216642
>>15216704

It's translation, script, direction, everything. It's difficult to pull off an English script that isn't stilted and mechanical that actors are going to have to read from while trying to preserve the original wording and meaning. Naturally this produces stilted results.

That's not to say voice actors aren't part of the problem. But there's a lot of terrible directors and producers, as well, who don't care about pushing for the best.

It's not so much of a problem to get quality talent in big budget stuff, but in niche, low budget anime it's about getting who you know that will work the cheapest. Anime is very enclosed, as well. There's no point trying to get better because there's no one coming for your job and if you're in good with a director, you won't be hurting for work.

Chances are titles like these aren't going to make their money back. So it's more important to cut corners and costs.

Also consider that here voice acting but especially anime and games is practically the lowest rung of the acting industry. If a voice actor here is lucky they can do some games and cartoons and that's practically the highest they can go. It just isn't where actors with real training and talent are aiming to go.

So I don't think voice acting is necessarily an east vs. west thing except in the case of low budget anime or an NIS game or something which just can't afford it.

Rather I think the script being produced is more important, if it's originally for that production, etc.
>>
>>15216642
Voice acting is also extremely "nepotistic" in the "it's not what you know but WHO you know" way - it's dominated by a few people who have connections. There's also some screwy stuff with unions that makes things complicated.

Honestly I prefer games to not have voice acting at all both for immersion and also to free up funding and time for things that are far more important.
>>
>>15215278
Man, this book was such a downer. While it's true that the circumstances leading to the situation and the tight finances can be painful, the hikki-NEET lifestyle itself is wonderful.
>>
>>15220110
>There's also some screwy stuff with unions that makes things complicated.
Vote for Trump to make American voice acting great again.
>>
>>15220165
>the hikki-NEET lifestyle itself is wonderful.

Yeah if you still live with your parents or they pay for you. The novel even made a point that if all your food, shelter, clothes are provided for you then living as a hikki is a luxury.

But when you actually need money for bills and food it fucking sucks.
>>
>>15221593
It's not really all that expensive if you don't jump into it right out of school with no intention to ever work and actually do some planning. With skills and investments you can live unemployed for most of the year while maintaining your independence. It's not a comfortable life by any means but it's stable and provides all the necessities.
>>
>>15221593
>The novel even made a point that if all your food, shelter, clothes are provided for you then living as a hikki is a luxury.
The anime did, I dont remember the novel doing this.
>>
>>15220074
I like low budget where actors just use their normal voices instead of whatever the normal people they use for anime and games try to do.

If women stopped trying to badly imitate Japanese moe girl voices and just accepted English speakers have naturally deeper voices, it wouldn't be as bad.
>>
>>15225128
Examples?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.