[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any Sentai shows that are actually serious? 100% straight-faced,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: ce4.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
ce4.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Are there any Sentai shows that are actually serious?

100% straight-faced, no corny shit?

Or is it all comedy?
>>
>>15123737
Where would all the fun be?
>>
>>15125156
my pants
>>
>>15123737
It's a kids show about colored heroes, how the hell are you expecting to be deep and serious.
>>
>>15123737
I didn't realize when watching it but Gokaiger is kind of serious in that 1/2 of the main cast (Red, Blue and Yellow) have pretty apathetic personalities. They dont really seem to care as much about being sentai as most other sentai series. They put a lot less effort into the poses, etc. Also in the last couple episodes the main cast gets pretty bloody and beaten up.

Wait what am I saying, watch the first sentai series Himitsu Sentai Gorenger to get an idea where the sentai series of today are coming from. The main 5 are all enrolled int he military and stationed at 5 different bases. In the first 5 minutes of the first episode The Black Army straight up blows up and kills everyone at each base excluding the 5 protagonists. They're made into a secret taskforce who has power suits and bullerproof vehicles, etc. Every ranger takes it seriously because they're soldiers who lost all of their friends. Red has a lasso but hes hard as fuck. He just beats footsoldiers into the ground with his fists, its great. Blue just shoots them in the chest with a bow and arrow and yells "Archery!" when ever a shot lands as if to inform his enemies what just happened to them before they breath their last breath. Yellow doesnt even have a weapon in the beginning. He just throws people off cliffs more or less. Green has a boomerang which is pretty silly and Pink's earrings are some kind of bombs she just throws at enemies.

No matter what, all sentai series have an element of over-the-top silliness to them. That's their charm if you ask me. You're never going to have a 100% serious sentai show, but there are plenty of protagonists who are straigh-faced and take what they do very seriously.

I might also suggest the anime Samurai Champloo. Theres a portion in the middle where he joins a sentai team and they address a couple issues that are usually glanced over in most sentai series.
>>
File: IMPACT.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMPACT.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>15125498
Is there a Madoka of Sentai shows?
>>
>>15125948
Kamen Rider Kabuto
>>
>>15123737
There's Jetman.
>>
>>15123737
Go-Busters tried to have that angle where even adults can enjoy, but they botched it because of low ratings

Jetman is the closest thing to something that designed with an adult angle which is following trendy drama trope, but the melodrama is too over the top to be considered serious.

No. Sentai is meant to be a light-hearted show for kids. It knows what they are and proud of it. Unlike Kamen Rider who tries to be adult only succeed 2-3 times. Ignoring the fact that they're kids show promoting toys.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.