[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I git gud at Touhou?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: bullethell.png (459 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bullethell.png
459 KB, 640x480
How do I git gud at Touhou?
>>
shift
>>
watch replays
>>
fundies
>>
You play regularly and not give up or play ezmodo if you die to much.
>>
>>14974759
I shouldn't start at Easy mode and work my way up?

Also, where should I start? Are any of the games more beginner friendly than others?
>>
>>14974836
Normal Mode. PCB or MOF, maybe EoSD.
Don't play IN until you're decent, it will fuck your deathbombing timing.
>>
>>14974853
>>14974858
>>
>>14974759
>play ezmodo

Worst advice ever.
Play on normal, practice single stages, develop basic shmup strategies. Just don't get super obsessed about becoming the danmaku master because that hole is really REALLY deep.
>>
>not give up or play ezmodo
>>14974895
Pretty sure that anon meant not to play easymode. I think playing easy mode a little bit when you are very new is okay, just don't get stuck there for long and try to move up to harder difficulties soon!
>>
>>14974895
>Pretty sure that anon meant not to play easymode.
I'm pretty sure he said otherwise since he said "or PLAY ezmodo if you die to much".

> I think playing easy mode a little bit when you are very new is okay

I don't think so, the gap between easy mode and normal mode is bigger on the latter stages, it will only make you lazy and not help you at all if you want to develop yourself in the genre.
Start with EoSD normal mode or bust.
>>
>>14974938
Meant to reply
>>14974914

Thanks 4chanX.
>>
>>14974938
>give up or play ezmodo

I think that he meant it in the sense that you shouldn't do either of those things "if you die to much".

Either way, I'd say ez is okay to just sort of get your bearings, but move up quickly to normal.
>>
Is there any worth to starting with the PC-98 games as a beginner?
>>
>>14974969
>I think that he meant it in the sense that you shouldn't do either of those things "if you die to much".

No, he said it in the sense that he should play easy if he dies too much.

>move up quickly to normal

That's my point, easy is just a huge waste of time, i mean, all videogames are a waste of time but at least in normal you'll find a sense of reward and progression. If your only goal is to see how the stages are and unlock the songs then sure, play easy if you want, however, the post on the OP is asking how to get good at the games. Playing on easy is not a good advice.
>>
>>14974979
Like extra abilities you'll develop? Since there is no hitbox in LLS and MS you'll develop your sense of place when dodging patterns faster, also a quicker reaction time if you play SoEW and HRtP, however i recommend you to play the PC-98 games after you get a few 1cc's in the windows games because you'll be able to apreciatte them more.
The PC-98 games are wonderful and everyone who is into touhou should play them.
>>
Kill ur self
>>
Hold shift for focused movement
>>
>>14975000
1cc?
>>
You don't. Just watch Let's Plays on youtube, that's much easier.
>>
>>14975085
One credit clear.
>>
>>14975085
1cc means one credit clear, beating the game without using continues. This would also imply using the default amount of lives.
>>
>>14975100
>>14975101
I always thought it meant one coin clear
>>
Is a gamepad recommended?
>>
>>14976132
No.
>>
>>14974618
Practice individual stages until you always know what's coming next and how to deal with it. Never die with bombs left. Practice practice practice. That's all, really.
>>
File: dce308a859[1].png (47 KB, 474x460) Image search: [Google]
dce308a859[1].png
47 KB, 474x460
>>14974618
Try, die, and cry.
>>
>>14974618

Use focusing. Bombs are a thing. It's more about dodging the bullets than hitting the enemy.
>>
File: 1420156045831.jpg (166 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1420156045831.jpg
166 KB, 500x700
>>14975000

>Reccomending anyone SoEW as their first game

We're trying to ease this lad in, not throw him into the blender while it's running.
>>
Any of you lads recommend this game?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/400910
>>
>>14976752
I'm not recommending him to play it as his first, i was explaining what would happen if he does.
>>
>>14976783
Yes, it's fantastic.
>>
>>14976831
I've never really played BH because of the difficulty curve. Do you think this would be a good start? I'm worried I won't like it. Looks very bare bones.
>>
>>14976783
No. It's not particularly fun, the music is crappy and everything about the setting and the artstyle feels soulless, commercial and calculated.
>>
>>14975391
Well, technically, it would be that, because of the age of arcade games and that shit. But now we're using computers and we don't use coins.
>>
>>14976245
Why not? Not saying you're wrong, it just seems like it would be easier to control with.
>>
>>14979328
Not him but you'll need to "learn again" how to play it.
>>
Junko nominated for worst final boss
>>
File: stare reimu.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
stare reimu.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>14980022
>Junko nominated for worst final boss
That's a wrong way to spell Toyosatomimi
>>
>all these recommendations not to play easy mode
wew lads
You must be so hardcore.
Easy mode did help me become better, and I switched to normal right after.
>>
>>14982013
Why are you so full of yourself, at this level?
You have a long way to go.
Come back two hours earlier.
>>
>>14982013
I think most everyone was saying it's alright to play easy modo as long as you switch to normal right after.
>>
>>14981775
Her dialogue and stage are good.
>>
>>14979328
As a person that has spent a lot of time experimenting with keyboard and controllers on various types of games, I'll say this:

Games with lots of buttons seem to be best played with a controller/arcade stick/dedicated gaming peripheral, as I find that I have a hard time keeping track of what button does what with a keyboard if there are more than two or three. I also have a hard time with platformers using a keyboard, for some strange reason that I have not figured out yet.

However, games that require directional accuracy(such as shmups/bullet hell games) tend to be best played with a keyboard. You most definitely could play with a controller and only suffer from a small disadvantage... if you have a great Dpad. If your Dpad is bad or only mediocre, don't even think about using it to play Touhou.
>>
>>14976831
Not him but I picked it up based on your approval. Pretty fun so far, dodging danmaku attacks on a fixed plane is quite an interesting experience.
>>
>>14982013
>You must be so hardcore.
No, i'm just not a pansie.
>>
>>14975000
>no hitbox
EoSD doesn't have too, and the density of bullets is bigger that any of pc98 ones
>>
>>14986488
Yeah, thought i was explaining what are the pros f starting with PC-98.
>the density of bullets is bigger that any of pc98 ones
This is not true, especially if we count higher difficulties and the extras of LLS and MS. The only part with a high bullet density in EoSD is in stage 4 and the familiars that explde in the extra. EoSD is more about quick reaction time rather than slow dense patterns like IN.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.