[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how did Eurobeat become popular in Japan? There has got to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: niko.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
niko.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
So how did Eurobeat become popular in Japan? There has got to be more of an explanation than Initial D
>>
initial d
>>
>>14974407

No it's pretty much Initial D
>>
REMEMBER ME. Drift>grip
>>
>>14974407
Japs are still stuck in the 60~80's
>>
Para para dancing, shame on this thread
>>
File: tmp_6420-1438326304988514505172.gif (650 KB, 598x444) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6420-1438326304988514505172.gif
650 KB, 598x444
>>14974407
NIGHT OF FIYAH
>>
Ronald McDonald both created and popularized touhou and eurobeat in the mid oughts.
His real identity has never been discovered, but there are many theories.
>>
RUNNING IN THE 90S
>>
>>14977256
>>14976827
My favs
>>
What makes you think that eurobeat is popular? It's literally just in initial d, that's it. They never played it on the radio or whatever.
>>
>>14978546
There are a couple of Bemani artists who do eurobeat, also doujin circles. It's not exactly "popular", but japanese eurobeat certainly is a thing
>>
Initial D and the, though not that much, rise of groups like TWO-MIX.
>>
Japan has a tendency to go collectively full retard for a thing for few months (sometimes up to few years), but after that they try their hardest to forget it. Seasonal one-shot gags in the comedy world are already a well-established tradition (which spreads effectively because comedians are involved with literally everything on Japanese TV), but once in a while they really milk the tits dry out of international phenomena like Frozen during 2014.

Eurobeat had its few waves of popularity but it was more of a young people's thing. That being said, thanks to Japan having a huge, dense population, even minor things get really big followings when compared to other countries so there are enough hardcore enthusiasts to keep things alive for surprisingly long periods.
>>
File: 138309836195.png (724 KB, 5000x2808) Image search: [Google]
138309836195.png
724 KB, 5000x2808
Eurobeat I understand, but it's pretty funny how Makina survives as doujinshi, when even the spics dropped the ball.
>>
>>14975027
>Not running in the 90s

ishygddt
>>
it's not popular at all..
>>
I went to Velfarre in 2004 back when eurobeat/para para/gyaru culture hadn't completely died out and was still a thing. It was truly an awesome experience, a window into a subculture that is completely gone now.
>>
N O O N E S L E E P I N T O K Y O
O

O
N
E

S
L
E
E
P

I
N

T
O
K
Y
O
>>
>>14993751
Makina is dead, now it's powerstomp.

They are the same thing really
>>
File: 1446244477828.jpg (134 KB, 850x581) Image search: [Google]
1446244477828.jpg
134 KB, 850x581
>>15006028
ALL NIGHT CROSSING THE LANE
>>
para para craze happened thanks to kimutaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqSfDlNgss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8H5bXBZ3uM

initial d was only a small part of it
>>
DE JA VU
E

J
A
V
U

Also, has this thread really been spared? Not yet updated?
>>
It's not *just* Initial D; eurobeat had been a thing for years by that point.

Basically, the most popular label in Japan currently (Avex), used to be a CD wholesaler that imported music from international markets - but in 1990, they decide to make a new sub-group called Avex Trax, which was designed to bring new, Avex-exclusive artists and original content into the Japanese market. In search of new talent, two of the company's founders - Max Matsuura and Tom Yoda - went to Italy to sign Italo Disco artists that had previously been published by Beat Freak on the then-new Super Eurobeat series, which was only eight volumes into production at the time.

They bought the Super Eurobeat franchise, signed the Italian labels, and then decided to localise some eurobeat tracks specifically for the Japanese market; this involved Avex artists covering the English-language songs that been published on Super Eurobeat (and examples of this include Try Me by Namie Amuro (originally by Lolita), Tora Tora Tora by MAX (originally by Domino) and several others). The original eurobeat tracks and artists, though, performed at Avex Rave and other similar events, which the label held in various clubs that they owned at the time.

Then there's the para-para community, which focused on a specific style of dance commonly associated with eurobeat, and this too was popular in Avex's clubs - and then once eurobeat hit its zenith in the late '90s and early '00s, the eurobeat remix albums of popular artists such as Ayumi Hamasaki and Dream gained a lot of traction, as did the Eurobeat Disney series, released around the same time (as Avex is Disney's distributor in Japan).

So no, it was never *just* Initial D. In fact, Initial D started airing something in the region of eight years after Avex first started publishing Super Eurobeat (which, by the way, was their first ever original release). The most popular label in Japan right now practically owes its success to eurobeat, in short.
>>
File: milkshot.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
milkshot.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>15008037
If you didn't believe me about Avex's Japanese artists making success by covering Super Eurobeat artists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDnMDlO-Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dlVeiY61VA

^Those are the original English versions of the two tracks you linked, respectively.
>>
bunch of fucking nolifers
>>
>>15023022
nice nice nice nice nice nice nice
>>
SUN IN THE RAIN
IN
THE
RAIN
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.