[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got a question /jp/ I want to write my artist's name using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: pottooroo.jpg (80 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
pottooroo.jpg
80 KB, 800x820
Got a question /jp/
I want to write my artist's name using Japanese syllables for an album cover. The question is: can I use hiragana or should I use katakana only? I understand that katakana is used for foreign words but in hiragana it looks a bit better. I'm scared that it ends up meaning something awful / shitty / etc though, that's mainly why I'm asking.
The name is 'pottooroo'. Pic is the ways I thought of writing it.
Thank y'all.
>>
my nig, just use whatever you want
>>
>>14950309
those say different things
top says pochuuruu
bottom says pottuuoruu
my advice is to just write it in english.
>>
>>14950348
i can't ignore my autism. though thanks for reminding me that i'm probably overthinking

>>14950359
i see. how would you write it instead? i want it to go below the name in English so it's ok if it isn't exactly accurate. It's more of a candy. But Japanese alphabet caresses my soul desu, so it'd be a nice add to the cover.
>>
> But Japanese alphabet caresses my soul desu
You don't have to behave like a complete retard just because your drawing doesn't look like shit, Mr. Weirdo.
>>
>>14950421
my retarded behaviour isn't intentional, sadly. Pls just help me and ill show you tru love.
>>
>>14950386
Different person here:
ポットゥールー
This is the conservative way that will be recognized as pottooroo by pretty much everyone.
ぽっつうるう
ぽっちゅうるう
These two are how its written in hiragana (top is pottsuuruu and bottom is pocchuuruu, since a true "tu" sound doesnt exist in hiragana).
ぽっとぅーるー
This is the hipster's choice, where the accepted rules for writing kana are broken and it's therefore cool and edgy. It's just one possibility to write it since you can break the rules in different ways.
Personally I prefer the conservative choice since it's the clearest, but if you don't mind some nips misreading your name you can choose whichever you want.
Nice kyuuto gaaru by the way, keep at it!
>>
>>14950442
The hipster's choice is tempting cause it's short like the conservative but in hiragana, which i like a bit more (it looks more friendly/cute I think). Conservative way seems safer tho.
So basically mixing hiragana and katana wouldn't be the greatest idea?
Thanks a lot man!
>>
>>14950517
If you want to go full cuteness then I'd agree that hiragana would fit more. The way I wrote ぽっとぅーるー is exactly the same as the first one where I only replaced the katana with hiragana, so it's pretty much equally clear to read.
If you look at artist names on pixiv and the like you'll see that it's the one point where artists can be as creative as they like, and kana mixing can be pretty common.
ー isn't really a katakana, it's just that it's traditionally only used with katakana but literally anyone will be able to tell what it means when you use it with hiragana, so it's far from being as 'risky' as mixing real katakana with hiragana.
>>
File: sankyuu.jpg (124 KB, 680x780) Image search: [Google]
sankyuu.jpg
124 KB, 680x780
>>14950569
Ohh i see. I can feel more comfortable trying some combinations of katakana and hiragana now, which might keep me entertained for a good while. Thanks a ton again !
>>
File: folder.jpg (225 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
225 KB, 1280x1280
>>14950309
dont use katakana

even jap artists use hiragana for album titles and shit
>>
>>14950309
>>14950517
>>14950779
>>14950569
Ironically, Japs would think an English character name was cooler.
>>
>>14954989
Yeah, it definitely works like that for every culture. But it's just for an album cover, my name is still in English
>>
>>14950309
not advice on how to write it, but i would like to hear your album anon..
>>
>>14954510
that pic looks comfy af

>>14955830
soundcloud /garlagan
pottooroo is for a lil side project. haven't posted anything under that name yet.
though i still would appreciate feedback very much on that 'garlagan' in japanese in me soundcloud's header img

thank ya'll again!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.