[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to play Touhou? As in, what kind of keyboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: radicalised patty.jpg (103 KB, 459x816) Image search: [Google]
radicalised patty.jpg
103 KB, 459x816
What is the best way to play Touhou? As in, what kind of keyboard will give you those pixel-perfect movements you need to excel in the games? Do you prefer a mechanical keyboard with certain Cherry MX switches, or is a regular better in your opinion?
>>
I like red cherry switches. It's mostly preference though (as you have probably heard before). If you want "pixel precise" movements, you've got to practice.
>>
Get a mechanical keyboard even if you do not play computer games at all. They're comfy to type on.
I have Cherry MX browns. They're good both for programming and touhou.
>>
>>14922318
Please do not China the Patchy.
>>
>>14922318
Best shmup players play with sticks or controllers, not keyboard.
>>
>>14924659
What meets the criteria for an entry level stick that is compatible to USB for those who want to take that next step?
>>
>>14922318
You should get a razor mouse dude and a clicky keyboard.
>>
>>14924659
this is bullshit, yusuke plays keyboard
>>
>>14922318
You don't need a mechanical keyboard to play Touhou, just practice more.
>>14924659
Maybe by the fact that arcade shmups should be played with a controller or stick, but playing Touhou with a controller is fucking dumb
>>
File: 61O8NZuAdsL._SL1001_.jpg (60 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
61O8NZuAdsL._SL1001_.jpg
60 KB, 1001x1001
I use one of these.
Did I fuck up?
>>
File: 1408746813840.png (446 KB, 566x637) Image search: [Google]
1408746813840.png
446 KB, 566x637
>>14922327
>I like red cherry switches
>>14924906
You should get a razor mouse dude and a clicky keyboard.
>>14926347
You don't need a mechanical keyboard to play Touhou

OP here. I got a mechanical keyboard with red switches, and an Deathadder as well.

I just wonder if others are better. I tend to do better in Touhou with my laptop and its shitty keys as opposed to at my battlestation with the mechanical keyboard, but that might only be used to play on the laptop as I mostly play Touhou there. I don't know, I just struggle to play with the mechanical keyboard.
>>
I like playing the games with any keyboard, but what I hate is when you're pressing right and left many times in short succession, and your keyboard sticks with that one direction until you press the key again.

(aka your character moves left or right permanently until you fix it) In some games it's not a big deal, but in a touhou game, it's a death or two even for a split second keyboard error.

TL:DR gaming keyboards can still mess up. I cast my vote for a mechanical keyboard.
>>
2hou is not that hard senpai
>>
>>14927551
Mechanical keyboards are shit.
>>
>>14927551
Maybe you struggle to play because everything I've ever heard about red switches has been negative and shit for any game. You want to feel actuation of the key in a game about being very precise.
>>
>>14926359
I tried touhou with a controller and it felt weird.

Shmups and FPS games are the only genres of games that I prefer to use a keyboard for. It feels weird to play shmups with a controller. Likewise, it feels weird to play platformers with a keyboard.

My keyboard has cherry black MX switches. It's a USB keyboard with 6KRO. It plays touhou just fine. Before I had this, I had a non mechanical usb keyboard that played touhou just fine.

Just play with whatever you want. Mechanical keyboards typically have lower input latency, so that should help.
>>
>>14928593
No offense, but that's a really silly analysis.

Actuation occurs long before you bottom out on a key with a mechanical keyboard.

1: Since most people are used to non-mechanical keyboards, they will probably bottom out, thus, feeling actuation is meaningless

2: ...Do you play touhou only pressing the key down far enough to actuate, and not all the way down? That's super weird if you do. Why do you need to feel actuation? If you intend to press a key, you will see the effect on the screen if you have indeed pressed the key. Actuation feedback is simply confirming that you've actuated the key. No command in touhou will not produce a visual response, so the feedback is pointless; if you press up, you will move your character up.

I don't understand why feedback matters for gaming, even a little bit... Unless you're some freak of nature that only presses keys down far enough for them to actuate and not a millimeter further when he plays games.
>>
File: imageproxy.php.jpg (611 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
imageproxy.php.jpg
611 KB, 2048x1536
I'm used to play on a notebook keyboard, pic related. The keys are close and soft, perfect for accuracy. The problem is that I suck in any other type of keyboard, even in Normal Mode.
>>
>>14928657
Yes it does help to feel it actuate/click because sometimes you need to be doing a lot of small movements.
That being said, you're way over-thinking this. Unless your keyboard is flat out broken or has sticking keys, or has a fucked up arrow key layout, it shouldn't matter. I've played on a laptop keyboard, a crap desktop keyboard and a good blue switch mechanical, and it's pretty much all up to your playing ability across all of them.
>>
>>14924659
Which joysticks are good for shmups and what gate is generally preferred?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.