[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Touhou takes place in Japan, why isn't it called Higashikata?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: morning.png (170 KB, 414x248) Image search: [Google]
morning.png
170 KB, 414x248
If Touhou takes place in Japan, why isn't it called Higashikata?
>>
>>14905055
pretty sure Touhou takes place in Gensokyo
you know
an imaginary place
>>
>>14905152
That's just what ZUN wants you to believe.
>>
>>14905200
On the contrary, he wants us to believe Gensokyo is a place where we can go.
He will probably die like Tolkien thinking his delusions were real spoken to him by fairies.
>>
>>14905738
Did Tolkien really believe that?
>>
>>14905055
I always call it "The Dōngfāng Project" around Chinese otaku.

Their desire to kill me is second only to my suicidal thoughts from learning Mandarin instead of Japanese.
>>
>>14905738
Reverse psychology 101, brotherfriend. Don't you understand?
>>
Why isn't it just called Eastern in American?
>>
File: 1447191871699.gif (54 KB, 200x158) Image search: [Google]
1447191871699.gif
54 KB, 200x158
>>14905738
>implying that faefolken did not relay the events of 2hu to ZUN.
>>
>>14905884
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>14905738
But Gensokyo is real and ZUN is just telling us the tale Yukari wants us to listen to make some sort of propaganda so we start believing again letting youkai invade us.

PC98 aside so far every event doesn't really clash with actual history,open your eyes!
>>
>>14905760
>learning Mandarin instead of Classical Chinese
>>
>>14906251
The humans know, shut it down!
>>
>>14905760
Why learn Mandarin?
Also whats the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese? Is Mandarin more useful or something?
>>14907901
Why the fuck yould you want to learn a dead language? It's like old English, it's pointless.
Latin is only worth knowing for some music if you like Christian hymns/chants. Even then it's easierto just learn the songs on their own, instead of the language.

Im not sure what I want to learn after Japanese. I planned on German, but then Merkel floosded Germany (and other European countries) with arabs, so it seems like German will be pointless in the future.
>>
>>14907942
>thinking Latin is pointless
Cool story bro.
It's not like there are any classic works inherently enjoyable that are written in Latin, classical Chinese, Sanskrit, and ancient Greek.
>German will be pointless in the future
It will only be pointless if both the language goes extinct and all German literature is eradicated. Only one of those is possible.

Do you ever read books? Are you an EOP?
>>
>>14908007
>Cool story bro.
I see you love outdated memes, as much as outdated languages.
>It's not like there are any classic works inherently enjoyable that are written in Latin, classical Chinese, Sanskrit, and ancient Greek.
You mean the ones translated into modern language? Translated by people who probably had a far better grasp of the language than you have?
>It will only be pointless if both the language goes extinct and all German literature is eradicated.
It's not going to be mindblowingly different in another language. Unless it's poetry it really doesnt matter.
>Only one of those is possible.
Yeah not like we have ever seen knowledge erased or anyhting. Nazi book burning, burning the library of Alexandria, or a shit ton of old roman books that left us with huge gaps in history. You could argue about the internet protecting them, but with all the censorship and governments working together to spy on people and stop the spread of information, it could easily reach a point where not even the internet can keep certain things from being lost to history.
You're an idiot if you dont think such things are possible.
>>
>>14908091
Things to which the value is qualitative instead of quantitative don't really go out of date. While a 1 Mhz CPU can go out of date, a fashion style or language cannot.
If you think the whole world should rely solely on translations, do you also believe the whole world should rely on closed-source hardware and software?

I totally believe a large amount of literature can be destroyed. I just don't think all of it will be. No matter how hard the Christians tried, we still have Latin works today. I'm sure at least a couple German works will survive in the future.
>>
>>14907942
Cantonese is the Portuguese to Mandarin's Spanish.
>>
>>14908267
>No matter how hard the Christians tried
M8 they were the ones keeping shit safe. It was a muslim who decided to burn down the library saying "If it agrees with the quran it's not needed. IIf it doesnt, it's herssy" or something like that. Christians werent that bad.

Also, should everyone rely on translations. No, someone needs to learn said language to translate. But to think you need to know a language to read something that has been translated well, thats just pure autism. I bet you have read several things not in their native language and enjoyed them all, I highly doubt knowing classical Chinese will drasticly improve Journey to the West, or learning Aramaic somehow make the Bible better, or ancient greek the greek myths, plays, epics, etc.
>>
>>14908613
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_pagans_in_the_late_Roman_Empire
>>
/jp/ - Linguistics
>>
>>14908930
>tfw text boards like /lang/ are dead
>tfw /prog/
>who am i quot
>>
>>14908613
Muslim scholars were the ones who rescued Classical texts and translated them into Arabic. Then, the Moors translated them into Latin, preserving them.

Your bizarre anecdote has little bearing on the actual history of the matter.
>>
>>14909868
90% of latin texts were preserved thanks to copyist monks, bro. Not saying that the muslims didn't do good shit too, Thanks to Averroes we have a lot of important greek works.
>>
>>14914354
We also have Latin works that were scrubbed and erased specifically to write bible copies on top of them.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.