[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The VN Market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: index-logo.png (32 KB, 130x200) Image search: [Google]
index-logo.png
32 KB, 130x200
Does anyone have any data on the VN market in America?
I remember maybe six months back, I saw a spreadsheet of successful Kickstarters.
I'm specifically hoping to gather sales numbers to entice a reluctant artist.
>>
>>14822928
What game is it? I might want to read it properly before you throw a butchered rewrite to the unwashed masses.
>>
>>14822928
You mean of translation projects, or those awful, disgusting, EOL shit?
>>
>>14822944
It's another adventure novel with swords and girls (though there are as many boys as girls). I've been writing and thinking about it for three years now, so I'm hesitant about giving the scenario to an anon. I'd welcome you as an editor at a later point once the time comes to think about such things.

>>14822954
I'll take whatever anyone offers, though I'm more interested in awful, disgusting, EOL shit as its more relevant to what I want to produce.
>>
I have a working script, completely coded, everything launches just fine. artist has backed out on the project, it was a two man circle, so the project lacks character art. Music and sound was never formed fully yet, there was a consensus in my circle to save that for last. I really don't think he shared the same enthusiasm that I did when undertaking the project, or he realized how much work was ahead and dropped off.. game play sits at about 2 hours, 70+ pages of text in the editor and several choices, which isn't bad, considering its my first project. Dunno what to do at this point... dont wanna drop the project as a whole, but its disheartening to say the least.
>>
>>14823904

Go to an anime club (at school or whatever)

and literally just spaghetti out your project and see if anybody can draw.
>>
>>14823951
Yeah, I literally have a working VN, coded and running. albeit without art and sound, but damnit... something i poured several months into, just kinda on hiatus. its a shitty feeling.
>>
>>14823973
>>14823904
You could contact an actual publisher and ask what their numbers have been. Or even ask them to hook you up with resources.

There aren't very many and I'm pretty sure /jp/ hates them all, though.
>>
>>14824004
two replies from you to me, same anon. publisher? my initial idea for birthing this out was to be zero profit, just a demonstration of skill on our circles part, I didn't really want money to go into it, except for pressing costs and packaging, nor money being made from it. I wanted it to be a demonstration of passion and skill. doujin in the truest sense, at least here in the USA. I'm literally stuck. it still crosses my mind every day. its been inactive for about 4 months now. I'm afraid that initial rush of emotion and feeling that was a product of the times at the moment of development will get lost as time passes.
>>
>>14823904
>>14823973
This anon isn't OP.
>>
>>14824057
You could release a demo and see if anyone is entranced enough to want to jump on board, or else use free / stolen (placeholder) / commissioned assets.

>>14824225
Oh, whoops.
>>
>>14824363
ah, thanks, I truly didn't know what to do with the concept for a while, brain lock.. but ill think of something. thanks. any good artists on /jp/ I wonder.
>>
>>14823645
Oh I thought it was some VN you were going to translate. I don't care about your western VN, and politely urge you to give up.
>>
>>14824861
But it's become my dream anon :(
I don't expect it to have the same appeal as a JP VN.
>>
File: Shakespeare in the flesh.png (143 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare in the flesh.png
143 KB, 300x225
>>14825434
It's a fucking book with illustrative pictures and background music. Why shouldn't yours have the same appeal a JP one does? Because you're just a filthy gaijin and can't compete with superior japanese writing? Top being sich a depressing piece of shit and take your own work seriously.
>>
>>14822928
Why do sales number matter for the artist? Is he getting a cut of the profits? Just pay him for his art and then have him fuck off.
>>
>>14825624
Because the people who do it in Japan are professionals who went to college to study art, writing, and music composition, and are paid for their skills.
>>
>>14825684
That's just bullshit. You can learn to draw shitty VN sprites and backgrounds if you didicate a year or two of your life to it, and writing comes down to wether you have an interesting story you want to tell that benefits from the VN medium. That isn't something you can be taught in school anyway. As for music, there's plenty of free, quality stuff out there. Programming isn't as big of a deal as it used to be either, thanks to userfriendly editing software. The only reason this kind of project might be difficult to complete for a single person is that it's a shitload of work compared to just writing a book.
>>
File: 1445619363837.jpg (61 KB, 328x451) Image search: [Google]
1445619363837.jpg
61 KB, 328x451
>>14823904

I'm in the same situation. I have a script file with almost 85,000 words and basically no other assets except for some public domain sounds/music
>>
>>14825823
>>14823904
Ya know, if you were willing to pay someone to draw sprites for you you'd have a much easier time than trying to get some idiot to do it for free. You could even ask them to draw one sprite with several expressions where it makes sense if you need to make it as cheap as possible.

By the way, Higanbana is a pretty good example of a low budget work with shitty drawings and backgrounds that's still enjoyable to read. Don't feel discouraged just because your work isn't remarkable in every way.
>>
I might try writing a VN eventually, it's not like I'd get any money from it though and if anything I'd lose money paying artists and stuff so it's not very high on my list of priorities
>>
>>14825624
It's the fact that the insert protagonist isn't surrounded by girls. It won't have the same appeal.

>>14825659
Yes they're getting a cut, and they want to know how much exposure they'd get for all that work.
>>
File: 1419554239959.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1419554239959.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>14825867
I'm sure that's what I'll do eventually. When I give up on being a NEET, that is.
>>
>>14826118
We must now ask the most important question of all: Is your game ero, or is it all-ages?
>>
>>14826660
>the self-insert protagonist isn't surrounded by girls
unless it's the spritual successor to unteralterbach and he's surrounded by shotas I'd say it's probably all ages
>>
>>14826716
Maybe it's a revolutionary VN that has several guy-girl pairs. >>14823645 says "there are as many boys as girls"
>>
File: forbidden.png (289 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
forbidden.png
289 KB, 800x800
>>14827182
That's blasphemy!
>>
>>14826660
All-ages at the moment because the artist I'm trying to recruit is strictly no R-18.

>>14827182
There are others in relationships, though its only mentioned and they're not focused on. The girls in constant contact with the insert are not in relationships.

>>14827191
I may be making too many steps away from the established wants of the JP market. I feel like the English market wants something very similar but less JP.
>>
>>14827453
>thinking about writing in economic terms
Anon... if you wanted to be rich you could have just gone into finance.
>>
>>14827462
The data is for the artist and I assume other people they want to propose the project to.
I also don't see how you got a plan to get rich from any of this.
>>
>>14822928
first off, asking advice for VN readers is a big no. second, as much as this pains the normal reader, many VNs are always running around tropes like the tsundere, kuudere, childhood friend, imouto and the like.

there are of course some very rare exceptions like R07. he revolves his VNs around the horror and mystery genre. Of course when you compare his works to the typical VN, he is far removed from the norm. it was pretty daring for R07 to enter the VN medium with such a very creative debut.
>>
>>14836593
I don't know why people think this about Ryu07. He himself said that what he did was basically twist a methodology established by Key's nakige into mystery/horror instead of drama in his works. You mention character tropes and Ryu07 also uses them in his works. They're a far cry from being risk-taking, original concepts.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110714145857/http://naderika.com/Cgi/log_cbbs/logcbbs.cgi?mode=red2&namber=399&no=1
>>
>>14837257
You gotta look at this in relative terms. Most VNs stick to the established formulas for story, characterarchetypes, general tropes, mood, etc. so clsely that the only real differences are the classic 'unique' spin everything has to have and how well the writing is executed. Higurashi isn't unique if you compare it to western literature, but it takes a pretty huge step in the right direction for the vn medium. I think thanks to people like R07 VN writers who want to do their own thing can now be much more confident in themselves.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.