[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't done my reps in 3 months. Maybe I should just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1450500894630.jpg (45 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450500894630.jpg
45 KB, 1920x1080
I haven't done my reps in 3 months. Maybe I should just delete the decks I put so much work into and start over
>>
I know this feeling rather well but decks are shite anyways, just read shit. Spending your entire time with vocabs is how you don't learn a language.
>>
I haven't done my reps in 2 years, get on my level.
>>
>>14787702
Something like this but also this >>14786645
I made way more progress reading than using decks. The decks seem ultimately pointless if you don't know the vocab beforehand anyway.
>>
>>14795542
What should I look into reading?
I started on the decks after trying to read, only to find I as constantly interrupted by kanji I didnt know.
>>
>>14795625
>What should I look into reading?
Whatever you want. As long as you're good on grammar, you're good to go, thought you'll encounter times where you need to learn nuances and figures of speech.

>I as constantly interrupted by kanji I didnt know.
Don't get discouraged by that. The more you look up words you don't know, the sooner you'll learn them permanently. Although, you have to make an effort to memorize them too. It's the basically the same thing as reps, but you're actually experiencing what you want to experience while doing them. If you pay attention to the individual kanji meanings, you'll eventually be able to guess what unknown combinations of kanji you know mean. Also you'll be able to look up kanji a lot faster if you know what words have what kanji, since you'll be able to look up two words that each have one kanji you need in them and then just look up what those two kanji mean together without having to look them up by radical search.

You might want to read something short though. Some 80 hour VN or RPG might discourage you, so pick some random short doujin games or something at first until you get to a point you don't need to look up so many words. The only thing though is, to repeat, to make sure you actually make the effort to memorize the words and the kanji that make them up so you don't just end up looking up the exact same word each time.
>>
我得說我是多的漢字知道的學習中文比學習日文。

This sentence is almost certainly wrong.
>>
>>14797743
> 繁体
>>
>>14797877
The majority of kanji follow the traditional characters, but it really makes little difference to me, since I type in pinyin and can change the IME to simplified with a single shortcut.
>>
>>14797032
>good on grammar
Should I be doing grammar before kanji? Whoops.
>>
>>14798018
What's the point of knowing words without knowing how they make sentances? You'll only be able to say stuff like "want apple" and not "I want an apple" or "he wants an apple".

But it doesn't matter if you learn them at the same time, you just need to learn grammar before you'll be able to read. You won't be able to read anything just learning individual kanji either anyway. Knowing 2000 kanji will just mean you're able to recognize 2000 kanji. You still won't understand what they mean when they're put into words, although it's useful for looking the words up in a dictionary.

Simply put, my point is to focus on grammar and vocab. Grinding kanji is secondary.
>>
If your goal is to be able to read well you should learn by doing that. If you learn words by grinding decks then when you actually try to read something you'll be translating from japanese into english to get the meaning instead of getting the meaning straight from the text.

You should first try to get a basic understanding of the grammatical structure of the language. Don't be shy about looking up words often or using a text hooker at this point and don't try to memorize everything you see. Your main goal here is to be able to parse out different words/grammar structures and work out the meaning. Japanese doesnt have spaces between words so being able to break up a sentence into its components is important and really overlooked. Just learning to do that will put you ahead of machine translation.

Naturally you'll start to pick up the more common words after seeing them and looking them up. If you come across a word that you've seen a few times, try to remember its meaning and reading and add it to your own deck. This way you'll be studying words you've already learned naturally. Focus on single kanji verbs first and then smaller kanji compounds/nouns. Doing this will build your vocabulary steadily and naturally without overloading you with a bunch of words you only ever see in your deck.

I also strongly recommend reading games that are voiced so you can train your hearing at the same time. Hearing the text will help your comprehension and help you learn kanji readings faster.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.