[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opinion, what is the most overrated touhou song?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
In your opinion, what is the most overrated touhou song?
>>
Whatever Alice's PCB theme was called.
>>
Love Colored Master Spark. It's pretty good and fits Marisa perfectly, but I just don't like it as a song. Not even my favorite Marisa theme.
>>
U.N. Owen was her.
>>
>>14729929
came here to post this
>>
Bad Apple!! by nomico
>>
septette
>>
The Gensokyo the Gods loved.
I like it but it upsets me how it's the only stage theme to make it into the big rankings just because ZUN said it's the theme that describes Gensokyo the best.
>>
>>14729956
This. It only got popular because of the video.
>>
Necrofantasia.
>>
WARNINGxWARNINGxWARNING
>>
If by overrated you refer to the popularity poll, I'd say Hartmann's Youkai Girl.
>>
>>14730000
But it really is a great song. It gives off that great feeling of genuine wonder you'd expect from Gensokyo.
>>
Whatever miserable tune the hipsters are currently liking because of purely technical characteristics like note progression or whatever, is definitely overrated. The popular stuff is pretty great.
>>
As far as "popular without actually sounding all that good" goes, almost everything from EoSD. Also, most extra bosses' themes are pretty damn shitty when you come down to it. Most start out well but quickly devolve to just noise, great for a boss fight, not so great if you just try listen to it outside the game.
ZUN's real masterworks have always been in the stage themes and his released CDs.
>>
I don't know about individual songs other than the most popular ones as overrated, but Changeability of Strange Dream is my least favorite Touhou music CD apart from Unknown Flower. Most of the tracks are remixes and even Innocent Treasures isn't enough to make me like it.
>>
>>14729929
Agree
>>
I was about to say Hartmann's Youkai Girl, but after a listen I must say it's definitely one of the best themes in the series
>>
>>14729929
>>14729997
>>14730420
>As far as "popular without actually sounding all that good" goes, almost everything from EoSD.

Yeah the instrumentation and sound quality in EoSD is terrible but everyone overlooks it because of muh nostalgia.
>>
>>14730359
>>14730398
>>14730420
>>14730779
G-guys, please tell me /jp/ isn't this retarded most of the time, please.
>>
File: Accelerator11.png (75 KB, 227x253) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator11.png
75 KB, 227x253
Overrated = popular things I don't like.
>>
>>14730793
you're a big meanie poopoo head
>>
>>14730420
Shit taste.

>>14730779
>Nostalgia
I can lsiten to it right now, I listened to the music the other day. EoSD has the best music in the series.
>>
Flowering Night.
>>
File: 1436071330702.jpg (33 KB, 452x299) Image search: [Google]
1436071330702.jpg
33 KB, 452x299
>>14730779
Septette for the Dead Princess, The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls, The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood, Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 and more are still timeless tracks. Yes, they suffer from sound quality, but doujin circles don't remake songs using EoSD's engine.

Hell, Septette might be more popular than Remilia.
>>
>>14730779
Are you for real? All of Sakuya-related themes are beautiful
>>
I'm surprised a few people keep mentioning EoSD. I think its one of the strongest osts, and has a lot of good variation between songs while keeping them all pretty easily identifiable. Every boss theme is pretty unique and fitting for the character.

Only got into touhou recently so no real nostalgia for one game over another either.
>>
>>14730420
Pristine Beat is a pretty good extra theme, but I agree that most of them are not that great.

On that note, Necrofantasia. It's just too... busy of a song, if that's the right word. Too much going on.
>>
>>14731235
I hardly think there are any westerners who have actual nostalgia for any touhou game pre-UFO and who still give enough of a shit to come to /jp/ and post on some thread we had literally hundreds of times in the past.
Might be some projection in this post, though.
>>
>>14730823
PCB is better
>>
>>14735023
If by "better", you meant "more annoying trumpet sounds"
>>
>>14729914
Lunatic Princess. History of the Moon is a more evocative song but gets overlooked almost completely.

>>14729929
As sick as I am of EOSD I can't say it's a bad song. Listening to it again out of context on Dolls in Pseudo Paradise really confirmed its quality for me. Sometimes things are classics for a reason.
>>
>>14730779
Why is it that EoSD instrumentation is subpar, while Dolls in Pseudo Paradise is much better, even when released at the same time?
>>
>>14736402
>As sick as I am of EOSD I can't say it's a bad song.
Bad /= Overrated
>>
>>14729929
>>14729956
These are pretty much it.
>>
>>14730322
Agreed on Necrofantasia.
All of Yukari's themes are mediocre but that one seems to be favored for no reason.
>>
>>14730000
This. This and Desire Drive are my top choices.

>>14729997
I enjoy the song and I agree with this.

>>14729929
It's become popular to hate on this, at least here, so it's no longer overrated in my book.

>>14729926
I don't think Love Colored Master Spark is overrated, but I do agree that it isn't her best theme. The Witches' Ball and especially Oriental Dark Flight needs more love.
>>
Flowering Night, thanks to Night of Nights.

I always liked Luna Dial much better as a theme for Sakuya. (Melody wise, at least. ZUN's rendition of it left much to be desired, but it has the proper melody schema of a ticking clock to me which many remixes use to great effect.)
>>
The entirety of EoSD and PCB OSTs
>>
>>14729929
>>14729956
Wanted to post these
I bet I'm taking it too easy for being slow
>>
>>14745207
>The Witches' Ball and especially Oriental Dark Flight needs more love.
This. Alice's Mystic Square themes are also underrated.
>>
>>14729914
>>
I can't listen to U.N. Owen Was Her without hearing that fucking clown
>>
>>14744879
What I meant is that UN Owen Was Her? deserves its reputation.
>>
File: e39.jpg (99 KB, 815x570) Image search: [Google]
e39.jpg
99 KB, 815x570
>>14729914

All of the Stage 6 bosses, all of them.

Whereabouts is overrated. Kobito Princess is overrated, Emotional Skyscraper is overrated,etc etc, until we get to Septette. All of them are overrated and considered better than what their are just because they are the last. There's more than one song there that I have liked a lot (Kobito Princess is my fav), but while i may love them, they are, by the strict sense of the word, overrated.

In contrast, all of the Stage 6 songs are really really fucking good. Onashibara and Fires of Hokkai. All of them are clinically underrated
>>
>Overrated

This has to be the most cancerous criticism anyone could possibly apply to something.
>>
>>14747983
While I don't disagree with you, "cancerous" is also a word which means many different things to many different people.

Why not use a word like "shallow," "elitist," "asinine," etc. ? Cancerous could mean any one of those words, but not necessarily all of them.
>>
>>14729914
KOBITO OF THE SHINING NEEDLE
His new trend of basing the stage 6 theme off the boss theme is not good. The song itself does not sound like Touhou, very generic. Byakuren's theme is disappointing, too.
>>
>>14748874
Byakuren is the hypest theme out of all of the 2hus, what are you talking about

True Administrator Is lacking imo. It's elegant and well composed, but its not last-boss worthy
>>
>>14748874
I think it's inappropriate to foreshadow the final boss theme, but Little Princess and Pure Furies are great, strong tunes. I just hope ZUN goes back to composing independent stage 6 themes. I miss stuff like Ultimate Truth and Grave of Being.
>>
File: Cape mode.jpg (128 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cape mode.jpg
128 KB, 1920x1080
>>14749377
I just like to think that Miko was still half-asleep in Ten Desires, so she couldn't bring her A-game. Both she and her theme music are way cooler when they show up again.
>>
>>14748874
Byakuren's is nice. Sounds triumphant but a little sad as well.
>>
>>14729914
>In your opinion
>overrated
Way to start a thread
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.