[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visual novel Translation Status 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: double^.5.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
double^.5.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>Root Double successfully funded
>Yuritopia demo out
>Seinarukana preorder up on J-List for 45$

>stuff in green are stuff that have changed since 4 days ago
>>
Seinarukana was delayed because of swag.

http://follow.jastusa.com/post/138248829756/in-a-previous-status-update-on-seinarukana-you
>>
>>14711058
JAST too incompetent to even put together a LE.
>>
Root Double's final total was $30k less than the Vampire title got.
>>
>>14714300
i still surprised it got funded with how badly SP handled the KS.
>>
https://twitter.com/_anitay/status/695381527790637057

Good article on how shitty sekai is, hope it gets spread more.
>>
File: whyisntgeorgefat.png (867 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
whyisntgeorgefat.png
867 KB, 1280x960
Not that it matters much for /jp/, but steam umineko looks like it could be happening soon.
>>
>>14714346
What did they do?
I didnt back it because it's a vn focused on plot, and the plot could be good, or it could be utter shit, if it were a game I could take a chance, but not a vn, especially after all the other failed KS's I laughed at.
>>
>>14714465
So many idiots think Sekai Project invented visual novel localization. Even this supposed detractor buys into that narrative.
>>
>>14714589
Kickstarting an already completed project.
Tiers that made no sense and were priced ludicrously.
Little to no advertising of it.
Accidentally breaking federal laws when they did try to advertise it.
Had to resort to giveaways to get donations.
Shady as fuck huge donations at a critical time when it looked like it was going to fail.
Adding tons of very expensive shit to it to lure in people at the end that supposedly costs them no money in production or development.

Basically, it was a particularly obvious cash grab at the start that they assumed would coast to success. When it didn't, they started promising the moon and anything/everything anybody asked for to barely make it, while almost certainly pumping in thousands of their own dollars to make sure they got the payout. Just look at the last couple days. There's usually a big spike comparable to the early rush. If you go by how it went for most of the run, it got that. But once you note the literally insane multi-thousand dollar pledges at around the 50%-75% timeframe, it makes no sense.
>>
>>14714921
>Accidentally breaking federal laws when they did try to advertise it.
That sounds hilarious, what happened?
>>
>>14714921
It actually got significantly LESS in the last couple days than it did when SP was probably pushing it to get it to that critical number. $10,000 on days when they announced absolutely nothing and nothing of interest happened with it, and then just over $12,000 in the last couple days combined, despite pulling out all the stops, promising free ports, and new payment options, etc.

>>14714947
They sent an e-mail to everyone on their newsletter saying that anybody who pledged at least $30 had a chance of winning free copies of other SP games. Legally speaking, that's running a lottery. They had to send out a followup that you could also enter for free (which classifies it as a sweepstakes), so they said you could send them a letter to enter. In the mail. Before the end of the KS. In a week.
>>
>>14714969
>It actually got significantly LESS in the last couple days than it did when SP was probably pushing it to get it to that critical number. $10,000 on days when they announced absolutely nothing and nothing of interest happened with it, and then just over $12,000 in the last couple days combined, despite pulling out all the stops, promising free ports, and new payment options, etc.

it doesnt look like they "pulled out" their seeds after funded tho. look at http://statbackr.com/rootdouble/ theres no dips
>>
>>14715068
They only made it by 10%.
>>
>>14715287
Still a success. Even if you think sp had to put its own money in, they met their goal. And they will make that money back easy in a month when it releases on steam.
>>
>>14715465
>in a month

You understand that they already got a check for around $110,000 for a project that's already finished, right? They've already made it back and then some, which means that now they can shift from promising the moon to damage control, like usual.
>>
>>14714921
Shit like this is precisely why I absolutely loathe SP and refuse to support them. There's no excuse to keep KSing games that have already been translated and available for years along with ridiculous goals and retarded tiering. It's like the only way they can get any money is by completely jewing out with exclusive goodies at stupidly priced tiers for dumb fuckers with too much money and not enough sense. Last I saw they don't even do add-ons, practically forcing you to pledge absurd amounts of money for whatever merch you want. You're telling me I need to pledge 500 dollars or something to get a t-shirt? Fuck off with that shit.

No wonder the Muv Luv KS absolutely stomped their shit. It's almost offensive how arrogant and brazen they've gotten with their nonsense.
>>
#freekoestl

Apparently hes working really hard on grisaia now.

However, apparently SP is also the company that pays the most.

While we all look down on kickstarters, they get the job done.

With root double, they proved that they can half ass it, put shitty tiers and still have a bad reputation about KS shipping and still succeed.

Now they just have to plan it a little better and handle it more properly and they will wont have to worry about failures if theyre kickstarting a "good" title.

Now that they can get Vita approval, if they just slap on "VITA VERSION TIER: ____" they'll guarantee even more sales.

Kickstarters seem pitiful but they dont harm consumers or translators in any way, just their own reputation.

Just treat it as an illegal pre-order platform from now on.
>>
I'm glad they released a demo for Kindred Spirits. I was on the fence before but I think I'll get it now. It's very cute and if I get put off by the yuri I can just imagine one of each pair of girls is a futa.
>>
>>14714724
Because these fags haven't even heard of VN before they started hitting Steam with these dank all-ages eroge.
>>
>>14714465
>Good article

>As I mentioned in my 2015’s Importance for Visual Novels in the West article, Sekai Project essentially took the western visual novel market that was nearly nonexistent and kickstarted it, but that was a big picture look at the situation; while they were a force that has greatly improved how VNs are considered in the west, it has not been smooth sailing for them.
I'm not interested in finding out how much more misinformation it spreads.
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>14716029
>>14715483
I agree that it's a poor example of KS campaign - weird english, poor layout, confusing af, pricing off the charts for what you'd normally expect especially given it's already completed -, however I still support what they're doing and I don't think they're going over the top. Most of the costs are for legal requirements like licensing, getting the original japanese company to reprogram the game on vita for the english translation, and obviously paying the people that worked on it. If, for example, JAST had taken on the completed translation (as they have been known to do...) we'd know it's done but 5 years from now we'd still have no clue where it is. I'm just happy we get a legit release that I can find on Steam, and maybe even on my vita a year from now.
>>
>>14716381
>licensing, getting the original japanese company to reprogram the game on vita for the english translation, and obviously paying the people that worked on it
Except that SP is a fifth wheel in all that, a pure leech on the VN community bringing nothing of value on the table.
Regista have already done most of the work by themselves by the start of the campaign; they should've simply cut out the middle man and publish the game on Steam by themselves. Which is where it would've landed on regardless of the KS outcome, by the way.
>>
>>14716355
Come to think of it, I should've stopped at the disclaimer.

>I have received review copies from Sekai Project before, I funded the Root Double kickstarter and the people who made Root Double were involved with some of my favorite works, so I’m not entirely neutral on this issue, even though I tried to be as much as possible.

>not entirely neutral
Perfect, simply perfect.

Also, please use the following link if you want to see it for yourself: http://archive.is/h1R1A

There's no need to promote that kind of "game 'journalism'".
>>
>>14716381
>JAST had taken on the completed translation (as they have been known to do...) we'd know it's done but 5 years from now we'd still have no clue where it is.
Not sure what you're talking about. Despite me hating the guy who owns it, JAST has been much more reliable than SP. I also respect that they do physical releases, don't KS everything, and don't whore their shit on Steam every chance they get just to attract that disagreeable demographic of idiots who'll buy anything with anime-esque art on it and hype games that have been around for a decade.
>>
What's so bad about kickstarters? the only ones losing anything is sekai project because they dont get to keep the KS funds.

If youre a normal consumer, you can wait for it to get funded and buy the product normally without backing.

If youre a mega fan consumer, you can fake preorder and put in 10-1000 extra dollars for extra goodies normally unavailable.

The only risk is failure but they haven't failed yet.

With KS, we're going to get Root Double on vita.
If Lemniscia released it as a fan TL or SP just released it as a normal digital download/hardcopy it'd never would have even gotten a vita port.

That being said, will himawari have a english vita port? @haro haro
>>
>>14716381
I really wish people would be more skeptical of the "costs"
>>
>>14716464
>With KS, we're going to get Root Double on vita.
As if we didn't have enough ignorant morons ITT already.
https://vndb.org/r34812

We (all 3 of us Vita owners) aren't getting anything new on Vita thanks to SP which we wouldn't have got with Regista alone.
>>
>>14716464
There is the risk that they take your money and die before they deliver the product. Given how they run their business it isn't unlikely
>>
>>14716029
>You're telling me I need to pledge 500 dollars or something to get a t-shirt? Fuck off with that shit.
If only they were the only ones who pulled shit like this.
KS in general is cancer. I'm still waiting for a few things, but I expect to get burned by atleast one. Probably Original Sin 2 given the devs freaked out when they found out like 95% of backers were male, and started asking how they could get more women. A female writer had pink hair too, and there was a romance stretchgoal.
Fuck. Atleast I have my undead.

>>14716136
>While we all look down on kickstarters, they get the job done.
Mighty number 9, Broken, age, that yogscast bullshit where no one got ther game.
I didnt back these, but plenty of KS's have been utter failures with bare minimum delivered. I backed PoE and I regret it, WL2 was mediocre and I think Torment will dissapoint me like the other 2.
>>
This thread sucks OP get ready for your punishment
>>
>>14717509
OP is a masochist, he likes it. And me too
>>
Poor Herkz, after receiving a DMCA he lost his twitter account and his followers, poor thing...
https://twitter.com/herkzzz/status/695683251680063488
>>
>>14718257

This isn't even relevant drama. Nice proxy-blog update I guess.
>>
>>14718402
It can be relevant since you can go get any fansubbing group / machine TL group's twitter and (maybe) website down if you hate them enough.
>>
>>14718660
Depends on how their host handles DMCA takedown requests.

Some actually factcheck the takedown request and reject anything not legitimate, some ignore the DMCA because it doesn't apply to them, some bend over backwards because if they blindly remove anything anybody DMCAs they're immune to legal consequence.
>>
File: image.png (513 KB, 603x762) Image search: [Google]
image.png
513 KB, 603x762
DC3 could overtake bokuten in april at it's current pace. I find that kind of funny.
>>
>>14718257
Herkz is shit though. He had no reason to fuck with Seneketsu Subs.
Senketsu Subs provided hardsub rips. And was like the only active hardsub ripper at that. And didn't even distribute any video. Just .ass files.
>>
File: pirates.png (23 KB, 610x287) Image search: [Google]
pirates.png
23 KB, 610x287
>>
I need funny eroge titles on the level of
Maiden Rape Assault - Violent Semen Inferno
>>
>>14719074
Oh gee, like every thing that ever gets released? I'm sure their all ages titles weren't pirated at all.

Do you think dovac is an MG side project? Every time he tweets I feel like buying something from them.
>>
File: Untitled.png (41 KB, 652x234) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
41 KB, 652x234
>>14719133
And on that note.
>>
>>14714478
source?
>>
>>14719374
Kill yourself
>>
>>14719380
Why? I'm asking source for
>umineko looks like it could be happening soon.
>>
>>14719374

There is none but it's not hard to infer that things are moving along due to the new art asset insertion. Not to mention it slots into the fact that work hasn't started on higurashi 3 yet, so it'd be a good holdover for that particular audience to release and en episode of that inbetween.
>>
>Bitch about how people pirate a game
>Blame all fans
>Block everyone who says things he doesn't agree with
>Claim that he tries to be nice

Dovac really is out of touch with reality.
>>
>>14719074
Torrent where? Nyaa is useless at the moment.
Sharing is caring, and care about dovac's tears too much to not participate.
>>
>>14718809
>it's
>>
>>14718809
Once I said to myself that I can starve to death, but I'll buy and read Bokuten. Seems like starving to death before its release is more likely, though.
>>
>>14719074
> hardcore vn fans are not our userbase! go away, we don't event want to sell you anything!
> why do you pirate our games?! where are my sales!!11
Oh, dovac.
>>
>>14723110
Why does no one buy this game that no one knows about on a storefront that no one goes to because it's only been used to sell like 2 games?
>>
>>14718969
you can use OCR too
>>
>>14716136
Never backed a KS and never will. No matter how much I want a vn.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.