[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Touhou Games Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: th6.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
th6.png
1 MB, 1280x960
Now back! Clearing Lunatic edition. Manage your resources--use up your bombs, and you can do it too.

ITT: Discuss gameplay, ask for advice, post achievements, share feels, and let's be respectful and friendly: the image of a bullet hell player is that of a hard worker. Players of all skill levels welcome, including those just starting.

So, we're branching off from the /vg/ shmups general this time, in search of a more dedicated space, as it turns out that Touhou stands a little apart from other shmups. It is my hope that everyone can have a good time.
>>
Last successful thread at >>14542822.

For a discussion topic: Has anyone already achieved their goals in Touhou for 2016?

Since I set myself a goal of clearing all Lunatic modes, that one has been going slowly, but steady for now. It seems that it takes me under a month to learn, and achieve a 1cc in an average Touhou game on Lunatic, provided that I already cleared it on a lower difficulty. Having a pace is reassuring.
>>
>>14687926
>For a discussion topic: Has anyone already achieved their goals in Touhou for 2016?
My goal is at least 2 hard 1cc's and at least 1 EX clear. So far I've gotten 1 hard 1cc, so I'm making progress at least.

>it turns out that Touhou stands a little apart from other shmups
I'll bet it's more that Touhou "fans" have a bad reputation, and nobody can tell the difference between people who just masturbate to the characters and the people who play the games and masturbate to the characters.
>>
>>14687924
Who the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>14687940
>My goal is at least 2 hard 1cc's and at least 1 EX clear. So far I've gotten 1 hard 1cc, so I'm making progress at least.
That's nice to hear! Hard doesn't require as much memorisation, so it's a feasible goal. Extras do seem to require memorisation, but given how short they are, the effort is comparable to finishing a game on Hard. Which games are you playing?
>>
File: 13435666.jpg (50 KB, 807x504) Image search: [Google]
13435666.jpg
50 KB, 807x504
>>14687948
Your Lord and Saviour, for one.

No, but being assertive is a habit. Worst case scenario, we'll just never reach the bump limit.
>>
Edition~
>>
>>14687960
Shopping around, really. The one 1cc is LLS, but I'm trying to decide whether I want to put the investment into SA or just play around in PCB/IN until I get it. Same with the EX clear, though I got really close with Flan the other day.

>>14687948
What an odd thing to ask about someone posting as anon.
>>
>>14688000
I'd say try clearing PCB first. The game is straightforward, in my opinion fun, and not too difficult like SA. If nothing else, having another Hard clear will give you more confidence when you decide to tackle SA.
>>
>tfw 1ccing LLS on my second try on normal
that was fun

How much harder is hard? I may try that tomorrow.
>>
>>14688062
Maybe. PCB was one of the first games I cleared when I first got into the series, and while I still like it the best I'm enjoying playing around too much, and SA's been tempting me for a while now.

>>14688094
Not too much worse. I think I got it about half a dozen attempts and I'm usually a normal player.
>>
>>14688121
In my experience sticking to one game works better than shopping around, since they all ultimately require a measure of dedication. Although, well, I've done a few Hard clears while obviously focusing on other games.
>>
>>14688180
Second this. I find that whenever I jump from game to game, the reaction time of whoever you play as differs a bit from other games. It'll throw you.. On another note, does anyone find that your playing ability will just level down at times, its hard to explain, but it just feels like your keyboard isn't angled in that perfect spot, or your chair is off, just something really little that you cant put a finger on but you know somethings off?
>>
I try a different game every year but never finish a single one. I'm thinking of diving into LoLK since it's the latest one. Unfamiliar to danmaku in general.

I'm interested in getting gud enough to just beat the games. Will Pointdevice Mode build bad habits? From what I've read it's the "intended" mode. Should I start with another game instead?
>>
>>14688208
>your playing ability will just level down at times
I've played enough that I know exactly where my keyboard and hand positioning should be, but sometimes bad days happen anyway, and you just gotta power through it.
>>
>>14688224
Point device mode is fine for practicing. Just find something you like and stick with it until you 1cc normal, then either 1cc other games on normal or move up to harder difficulties when you feel like it.
>>
File: okuu friends.jpg (25 KB, 231x175) Image search: [Google]
okuu friends.jpg
25 KB, 231x175
>>14687924
Welcome and please take it easy.
Still playing soku pretty much every day.
>>
>>14687926
Yeah, I have. I had three things I definitely wanted to do this year and assumed the first thing would take up half of it but it ended not even taking all of January. I was lucky I got it early because it leaves more time for the other two things.
>>
>>14687924
>th07
>got to stage 5 with 7 lives and 3 bombs (default start)
>by the end of stage 5 I had 1 life
>lost 2 lives in first stage of stage 6 boss
yay
>>
File: 1443303703820.jpg (234 KB, 1357x1230) Image search: [Google]
1443303703820.jpg
234 KB, 1357x1230
>>14687924

New here, buddy? That's how you make a thread on JAYPEE.
>>
>>14688497
Yuyuko does that, yeah. Only way to deal with it is a steady hand.
>>
>>14688497
>got to stage 5 with 7 lives and 3 bombs

That would mean you played stages 1-4 perfectly, without getting hit or bombing once till stage 5.
And then you lost everything on stage 5?
I find that hard to believe.
>>
File: Kyoko Sitting.webm (3 MB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
Kyoko Sitting.webm
3 MB, 390x390
Bully the yamabiko!
>>
>>14688546
Stop trying to revive old memes
>>
>>14688546
>Matsudoki
What?
>>
>>14688497

Youmu is a runkiller for me.
>>
>>14688224
Pointdevice is weird, and while it's neat in its own way, I really don't think it's helpful for a new player. For one thing, it will make you mad, almost guaranteed; when you're getting rekt by one section and have no idea what to do because you have no experience, and get stuck in a loop of dying over and over without being able to make any progress, all the fun will be sucked right out of it. And that aside, yes, it will teach bad habits, like becoming numb to dying. It's just a very different game than the others, and so playing it won't really help you, unless literally all you want is to see a good ending and say you cleared one game.

As for what game is better to start with, there's no perfect choice, but any besides 11 and 12 should be fine. Play around a bit and see which ones you like; just keep a few things in mind. Firstly, always read the manual. Each game has its own unique mechanics, and you'll need to understand and take advantage of them. Secondly, try different shot types, since some are much easier to use for a clear than others. And lastly, stick with it. Even if it seems impossible, play a little bit every day and you'll make progress in no time. Good luck, anon.

>>14688960
If he only had three bombs there, then he actually did bomb some number of times beforehand, depending on who he's playing. And Youmu is fucking brutal, especially before you learn all the tricks for dealing with her; I had similar experiences many times.

>>14688062
What do you find fun about 7?
>>
>>14688960
That happened to me before. Perfect run until the 5th Stage. The first life lost was a mistake, then I started panicking.
>>
>>14688497
>>14689251
This is why everytime I get back into bullet hell it ends in a ragequit. I can't control my emotions and most of the time when I loose one life in a stupid way, I get so frustrated that I can't focus and play well anymore, loose a second one, get more frustrated, and the cycle continues until gameover.
>>
Why are Marisa and Reimu so much harder than the other bosses in Imperishable Night? Also, why is Kaguya so easy?
>>
File: 1419914600576.png (74 KB, 400x236) Image search: [Google]
1419914600576.png
74 KB, 400x236
>>14688497
Thats pretty rough dude, reminds me of my SA runs when Orin ruins everything
>>
>>14689320
>why is Kaguya so easy?
play lunny
>>
>>14689320
Marisa and Reimu feel hard at first because they're kind of overwhelming, like you get there and they just start shitting bullets all over you. However, once you get over the intimidation factor, they're not too hard. Reimu's fight is just minor variants of 'move back and forth'. Marisa's is a bit harder, but still not bad overall. Watch a playthrough if you can't figure out how to deal with anything.

As for Kaguya, I always assumed she's easier than Eirin because it would be soul-crushing to clear the game once, get a neutral end, then not be able to go right back and get the good end.
>>
>>14688180
>>14688208
I realize shopping around isn't a great idea, but since I started playing around in MAME or with other stuff I find I have less enthusiasm for sticking to one game. I'll probably just home in on SA though, since it's one of the few Touhou games I haven't cleared at all.
>>
>>14689415
kaguya being easier than eirin is a secondary meme, please don't spread it
>>
>>14689435
Is it really? When I was clearing 8 for the first time, it always took me fewer tries to beat her than it did Eirin. It probably just depends on your play style.
>>
>>14689390
>I haven't played the 3 lastest games by the way.
OK, so why do you think your opinion is worth anything, then?
>>
I have 2 questions for Lunatic players :

Before LoLK release, I read all the time that the hardest Touhou on Lunatic is SA or UFO (I think UFO but I see more people thinking about SA).
Now that LoLK is there, at the begining everybody thinked that LoLK is the hardest Touhou (without including PC-98 games, else it's HRtP that is the hardest Lunatic to 1cc, I guess).
But now, maybe people change their mind about LoLK.

So the first question is, among the three giant (SA, UFO and LoLK) wich one has the hardest Lunatic and what is your ranking ? For me, it's : UFO first, LoLK, and SA. But if we force ourself to use the same max number of bomb than UFO or SA, LoLK is the hardest.

Last question, in all Touhou Windows games, with what playable character with what shot type make the game where it is the hardest Lunatic game ? I didn't test all shot type/character of all games but for me it's IN that has the hardest Lunatic if I play Youmu alone.
>>
>>14689479
UFO was never hard.
>>
>>14689479
I only play on normal, but the absolute worst shot type no matter what has to be Sakuya B in 14.

>>14689497
The danmaku on its own isn't awful, pretty much average aside from Shou, but most of the difficulty comes from mastering UFO collection, which I can only imagine scales horrendously with difficulty.
>>
>>14689497
UFO has by far the worst resource management out of any game.
>>
>>14689541
No it doesn't. You just suck so hard that you think making a beeline for the UFO is a better idea than quickly planning a route on the spot.
>>
>>14689479
LoLK Legacy > UFO > SA > LoLK PD.
Legacy moves down one if you're playing as Sanae, but you would never be that cheap, right anon?
>>
>>14689612
I love how the first defense any UFOfag resorts to is calling their opponent a casual, because UFOs are a flawless mechanic.
>>
>>14689612
I don't mean it like that. Getting the UFO is easy. The problem is that most life/bomb pieces come from the UFO. Not only do they disappear relatively quickly, but they also are somewhat based on RNG, so you're pretty much fucked either way. Waiting for a multi colored one to change to a specific color and then planning a quick route is hell.
>>
File: 14253534545345345.png (197 KB, 356x352) Image search: [Google]
14253534545345345.png
197 KB, 356x352
>>14689479
As easily the best player in this thread, what I say holds much more weight than the rest of you cretins.

Hardest to easiest. Non debatable. Official listing.

LoLK > DDC > IN > SA > TD > EoSD > PCB > MoF > UFO

Anybody that finds UFO hard should just quit playing shmups, because they're clearly shit at the game.

Here, take a casual pacifist run of Ichirin I did back in 2011.

https://a.pomf.cat/gooewh.mp4

UFO has always been a joke.
>>
>>14689895

>pacifist run
>shoots during normal danmaku
>>
>>14689907
Ichirins nons are tedious and non threatening.
Next.
>>
>>14689875
I don't see you coming with any valid critiscisms either.

>>14689888
>Getting the UFO is easy.
>Waiting for a multi colored one to change to a specific color and then planning a quick route is hell.
So which one is it? Is getting the UFOs hard or not?

>but they also are somewhat based on RNG
How so?

>Not only do they disappear relatively quickly
You mean the UFOs or the life/bomb pieces? Because if the latter, then I don't know what you're complaining about since they've always fallen at the same speed in all Windows games.

If the latter, you can mitigate it by applying some foresight. Plan ahead, so that the UFO appears at the times it benefits you the most.
>>
>>14689479
LoLK is easily the hardest without a doubt. There is a reason why there's only like two or three NBNM clears after months of release.
>>
>>14689935
>So which one is it? Is getting the UFOs hard or not?
Getting them is easy. Getting the right color isn't.

>How so?
The colors are based on the last UFO token of the UFO you summoned and on the time past since you destroyed the UFO. Not exactly RNG, but it can become random and chaotic in many ways. For one, if you collect them in a different order than you want, you'll have to wait more to get a specific color. And if you want that color, but it's about to change and you don't have others, you'll either have to keep close to it or wait a whole cycle.

>If the latter, you can mitigate it by applying some foresight. Plan ahead, so that the UFO appears at the times it benefits you the most.
That is true, but if you wait too long, you won't get a certain life/bomb piece before it disappears.
>>
File: cute_eek_eek.jpg (745 KB, 800x1129) Image search: [Google]
cute_eek_eek.jpg
745 KB, 800x1129
>>14689935
The UFO system is objectively the worst resource mechanic of any game, though whether or not it's the hardest is a matter of opinion. Unlike other games, where resources are naturally accumulated (or in the case of 14 and 15, by exploiting an existing mechanic), 12 forces you to essentially play two games at once, games that are at odds with each other at that. In other words, rather than rewarding you for playing the game, it makes you jump through arbitrary hoops to get literally anything except the one drop Nue gives you in stage 4.

It was ZUN's first experiment with a truly different resource mechanic, and unfortunately, it just didn't work out. The game wasn't even designed around it particularly well. 14 and 15 did a much better job, having mechanics that work alongside the gameplay and stage design that reflects them.

Now again, if you find the danmaku in 12 so easy that you don't need resources in the fist place, then the UFO mechanic doesn't add difficulty, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Anyway, as far as the RNG aspect and the UFOs disappearing too quickly - yes, you can plan ahead and memorize the best times to shoot things down and so on, but the exact circumstances will be always be a little different. There are lots of steps that go into getting each individual piece, and thus a lot of room for things to go wrong. And once one thing goes wrong, it fucks up your entire plan.

All this said, I actually quite like 12, because everything aside from the UFOs is great.
>>
>>14690017
>Worst music
>Most forgettable character cast
>Easy, bland patterns

UFO leaves little to be desired, even when ignoring the poor resource mechanic.
>>
>>14687924
Whoah, that caught me off guard! Careful with the surprise boxes, some people here have heart conditions!
>>
>>14690085
Leaving little to be desired would mean that it is great in most aspects.
>>
>>14690085
>Worst music
>Most forgettable character cast
Is today opposite day? Also, who are you quoting?

>>14690099
Ah, his true feelings become apparent.
>>
>>14689994
UFOs always follow the same color pattern. Red->Blue->Green->Red->Blue->Green, repeat. Not grabbing the UFO on time is not the fault of the game, you just lacked the skill necessary to fly between the bullets and grab it on time. And having to wait is the punishment for it, much like how dying is the punishment for getting hit.

>>14690017
>The DDC system is objectively the worst resource mechanic of any game, though whether or not it's the hardest is a matter of opinion. Unlike other games, where resources are naturally accumulated (or in the case of 11 and 15, by exploiting an existing mechanic), 14 forces you to essentially play two games at once, games that are at odds with each other at that. In other words, rather than rewarding you for playing the game, it makes you jump through arbitrary hoops to get literally anything.

>It wasn't ZUN's first experiment with a truly different resource mechanic, but unfortunately, this one just didn't work out. The game wasn't even designed around it particularly well. 11 and 15 did a much better job, having mechanics that work alongside the gameplay and stage design that reflects them.

>Now again, if you find the danmaku in 14 so easy that you don't need resources in the fist place, then the PoC mechanic doesn't add difficulty, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad.
Three whole paragraphs and you said nothing of value at all, proven by the way it's just as valid when I replace UFO with DDC.

>Anyway, as far as the RNG aspect and the UFOs disappearing too quickly - yes, you can plan ahead and memorize the best times to shoot things down and so on, but the exact circumstances will be always be a little different. There are lots of steps that go into getting each individual piece, and thus a lot of room for things to go wrong. And once one thing goes wrong, it fucks up your entire plan.
Anon, we're not robots. When I tell you to plan, I'm not telling you to write down in a piece of paper at which X and Y position in the screen you must be at every second of your playthrough. It's smaller things, like "OK, this is the third red UFO in this level, I have to wait this much time before grabbing it so that I don't get walled in" or something like that. You can't be EXACT and PIXEL PERFECT, because, as you said, every playthrough will always differ ever-so-slighty from the previous and the next, so you not only need to plan things out, but also adapt your plans to the current situation ("shit, i destroyed the UFO too soon by accident. better be careful going forward since i now have one less life to work with").

I understand that this may be difficult, and cause you a lot of frustration, but difficult =/= bad.
>>
>>14689974
EoSD didn't have any for years after release. The first NMNB runs on lunatic only appeared in 2012 or some shit. Your argument is dumb.
>>
I'd like to remind the thread that UFO fans usually think the system is somewhat flawed.
>>
>>14689530
>Sakuya B in 14
Reimu B is much worse. She has less damage output and her only saving grace is her tiny hitbox. Sakuya B is only bad if you are too dependant of bombs.
>>
>>14690347
>every UFOfag is the same
>>
>>14690305
A quick search finds me NBNM clears way earlier than 2012. I suggest you stop talking about of your ass.
>>
I like UFO. The music is good and i liked the ufo mechanic. I agree that is not as hard as people like to say but i don't think is the easiest.

>>14689479
LoLK is the absolute hardest game in lunatic, people just like to parrot the idea that is easy because you can cheese throught the game with Sanae.
Worst shot type ever has to be solo Alice in IN.
>>
>>14690182
Firstly, that's ridiculous. The auto-collection mechanic isn't at odds with normal gameplay at all, it's something you should be doing anyway. You get resources from playing it like you would any other game, albeit with a bit more bombing. And there are many parts throughout that telegraph 'auto-collect all this shit to get a life piece!', showing that the stages were designed with the mechanic in mind.

Also, including 11 in the comparison is stupid, because it was almost totally traditional; you just got a life piece for every boss pattern and spell that didn't kill you. Why don't you try saying '12 did a much better job' with a straight face.

>but difficult =/= bad
You're close to the crux of what I was saying in the first part of that post, and either didn't understand or purposely ignored.

Difficulty isn't a bad thing at all; that's not only true, but a key part of ZUN's philosophy on games. If you don't agree with that, you're probably not even here to read this. The thing is, difficulty by itself isn't good, either.

In order to make a good game (or part of one), it has to be not just 'difficult', but 'challenging', if you know what I mean. That is, it's easy to make something that's merely difficult, but to present the difficulty in a fun, rewarding way is something else. The UFO mechanic fails in that respect, and contradicts another of ZUN's ideas, that Touhou should be 'about the pure fun of dodging bullets'. Being forced to collect a set of the right UFOs, then fill up a large one, then shoot it down, takes you away from playing the actual stage. Dodging the bullets becomes secondary to optimizing your UFO collection, as the two objectives have nothing in common, and in fact interfere with each other. In contrast, the mechanics in 14 and 15 don't interfere with gameplay, but take advantage of things that you already do naturally; at worst, they make you play more recklessly.

I should say also, I got over the UFO mechanic. While only on Normal, I did clear 12 with every shot type, and after the first time it was pretty smooth sailing. Once you learn how to optimize the UFO collection, it's not too difficult. Even so, I still recognize that's it's not a good or well-thought-out system.
>>
>>14690182
>UFOs always follow the same color pattern. Red->Blue->Green->Red->Blue->Green, repeat. Not grabbing the UFO on time is not the fault of the game, you just lacked the skill necessary to fly between the bullets and grab it on time. And having to wait is the punishment for it, much like how dying is the punishment for getting hit.
Right, but there's still the part of having to choose which UFO you get last, because the multi-colored UFO that comes out will have it's first color based on that.
>>
>>14687926
>Has anyone already achieved their goals in Touhou for 2016?
No, I haven't 1cc'd a game on Normal yet.
You can laugh now
>>
>>14689863
No, I always play Reimu and homing shot type if it exist. I'd only play the others to 1cc the Lunatic of SA with all character, same for LoLK TD DDC and MoF.
>>
>>14689863
I can only play LoLK with Marisa because i don't like homing shot types.

>Reimu has a small hitbox, makes some spellcards particularly easier. Homing.

>Sanae has a hilariously broken bomb and really high damage output for being a homing shot type. Easy mode.

>Reisen has a really exploitable bomb too and a really powerful piercing shot type. Makes the stages particularly easier.

>Marisa has a straight forward shot type and she doesn't have any special abilities other than the bigger graze radius. Her bomb is not powerful at all. Has a high damage output when in full power but if you have anything less than 3.00 power it will make capturing some spellcards almost impossible. Clipdeaths all over the place in stage 6 and in some patterns in extra.

It feels the most "fair" shot type in my opinion but is also the most difficult.
>>
>>14689183
>What do you find fun about 7?
Little bit of everything, from the atmosphere of the game, to the bullet patterns, the border mechanic, and MarisaA being my favourite shot type there. I normally ignore scoring but I was actually motivated to learn a few border chaining tricks here and there since they felt so cool to use. It's just a good game all around, one of the best ZUN has created.
>>
>>14690478
>The auto-collection mechanic isn't at odds with normal gameplay at all, it's something you should be doing anyway.
And moving around the screen isn't? What, do you stay completely still and pray that the bullets don't hit you and that you have less enemies shooting shit at you than usual? How is "OK I have to move through these bullets and go there to grab that UFO" different from "OK I have to move through these bullets and go there or that laser is going to rape my mouth"?

>that Touhou should be 'about the pure fun of dodging bullets'.
Putting aside the fact that you HAVE to dodge bullets to get the UFOs, but wasn't he talking about EoSD when he said it? I can't see how that quote is relevant now if he was.

>Being forced to collect a set of the right UFOs, then fill up a large one, then shoot it down, takes you away from playing the actual stage.
How so? If you don't pay attention to what's going on in the stage, you're going to get fucked. Bullets and fairies don't immediately disappear when a small or big UFO or fragment are in play. They are still there and every time in a different configuration than the last and the next, either because your position in the level is different, or just plain RNG.

>Dodging the bullets becomes secondary
If you want to die, maybe. Being the UFO master will never make you impervious to getting shot in the face, let me remind you.

>as the two objectives have nothing in common, and in fact interfere with each other.
Playing normally requires you to evade the bullets to not lose lives and fuck up your rhythm. Getting UFOs requires you to evade the bullets to not mess up your plan and fuck up your rhythm. I don't see how these two objectives interfere with each other, you're always evading bullets and moving to different positions (either because that position has no bullets that kill you, or because there's a UFO there).

>the mechanics in 14 and 15 don't interfere with gameplay
Forcing the player to go up to the top of the screen, or to run up right next to bullets that coud kill them interferes with the gameplay in one way: To get the resources, the player has to play more recklessly, and be able to plan on the spot when and where are the most optimal times to do the actions to get resources (with memorization playing a role in that last part).

The EXACT SAME THING happens here. Grabbing those UFOs requires recklessness, and the ability to plan on the spot when and where are the most optimal times to run in and get those darned toys (with memorization playing a role in this last part too).

>Even so, I still recognize that's it's not a good or well-thought-out system.
Sorry, but I cannot agree with people saying UFO's system is "bad". It's not the best by any stretch of the word (DDC's is the best), but calling it "bad" rubs me the wrong way.

[to be continued, give me a few minutes]

>>14690501
Fair enough.
>>
>>14689895
That's interesting to hear! Lunatic UFO is on my list, but I was doubting its reputation as being very difficult. I have no overwhelming problem collecting UFOs since you just have to plan routes for them, and they let you have so many resources that it pays off easily. Maybe people just don't want to route?
>>
I got my 2nd 1cc last night in th7. It was harder than th6 was for me. I'm so glad I made it into the last spell card with 1 life left. I just knew I would get hit.

>>14688497
You can do it. Practice stage 5 and 6 some more. Youmu and Yuyuko are hard.
>>
>>14690682
Congratulations~. If you like Youmu, she has a very good shot type in th8. Very powerful, slightly difficult to use but you can always hold down Shift and fall back on Yuyuko. Just make sure you're centering on the enemy when using Yuyuko.
>>
>>14690668
>>14690478
>In order to make a good game (or part of one), it has to be not just 'difficult', but 'challenging', if you know what I mean. That is, it's easy to make something that's merely difficult, but to present the difficulty in a fun, rewarding way is something else.
And this right here, is the reason why I always thought and think that whoever dislikes UFO's system is a casual.

You're not doing anything you haven't done before. You're dodging the bullets, you're moving around the screen, sometimes an enemy with much higher health than usual appears in front of you that you must take down (except this time with a time limit that's a punishment to hit). The typical stuff. And it's every bit as difficult and challenging as any other game.

So why is it that all of this is only bad when UFO does it? I've thought about this a lot, and the only conclusion I can come to is that people dislike it because they're bad at this game. I lied with that other statement, this game ISN'T every bit as difficult and challenging as other games. Depending on the person, it's either far more or far less. You have to dance through a wall of bullets, way forward and way back, (and with perfect timing in some cases) to get those UFOs, you have to manage a rain of bullets while making absolutely sure to evade the UFO and blow up any and every enemy that approaches to fill the UFO up, then you have to play killer dodgeball AGAIN except this time UNDER the UFO to destroy it, then you have to grab the first life/bomb fragment while STILL evading everything thrown at you, and then you have to destroy the UFO, grab the second piece without being too reckless (since the explosion takes a while to clear all the bullets) and then being extremely reckless to grab the small UFO before it changes color and fucks your rhythm up. And the tiniest mistake has the potential to cost you the whole game, if your skill can't offset any lost lives.

I myself find it fun.

But some people can't handle all that, so they blame the UFO system. I'm not accusing you of anything (right now, at least), I'm just explaining why I think the way I do, and perhaps the way many of the people who accuse UFO haters of being casual also do. Perhaps. Who knows. Maybe this isn't even a proper argument since it can be mostly summarized as "git gud" but I felt it needed to be said. Feel free to just ignore this post if you have to.
>>
File: Th12_ufo[1].png (6 KB, 189x39) Image search: [Google]
Th12_ufo[1].png
6 KB, 189x39
>>14690749
UFO is fun! I don't think is hard but i can't capture legendary flying saucer.
There is a hard mode patch for UFO too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEb9PO7dYOE
>>
>>14690767
looks fun
>>
>>14690535
That's okay, anon. I will only scold you if it is for a lack of trying.
>>
>>14690411
Pretty sure the first NMNB was by either Clio or Somen_soc in 2012. From which year did you pull your replay from and by whose run is it?
>>
>>14689863
Hmm, not sure if I agree with this. LoLK Legacy grants even more resources than UFO and is less punishing.
>>
>>14690749
Again, I've cleared it. On Normal, as with every game because I'm bad, but I can still compare all of the games on equal footing. And, again, 12 isn't nearly the hardest once you get it figured out, nor is it the worst game overall, in my opinion. (If anything, I'm way more salty about 14 overall, but still recognize that the mechanic is better.) But the point is that it's not a matter of how difficult anyone finds the game, it's simply bad design to add a mechanic that's so removed from normal gameplay. To address your points,

>And moving around the screen isn't?
Not merely moving around, but moving away from safe areas into dangerous, bullet-dense ones for a piece of a chance at a piece of a bomb or life. It forces you to move contrary to the way the danmaku would normally make you move.

>Bullets and fairies don't immediately disappear when a small or big UFO or fragment are in play.
Exactly. You're playing the UFO-collecting game, and having to play the dodging game, at the same time, and you have to choose which to prioritize.

>either because that position has no bullets that kill you, or because there's a UFO there
Right, and often those places are entirely separate.

And so on. With grazing, you just graze. Maybe more intensely than usual, but it's still just focusing on not getting hit. With auto-collecting, you have to adjust to bombing more than usual, but bombing more won't hurt you. And you should hit the PoC more than usual, which is admittedly similar in a way, but it's a quick and relatively low-risk, high-reward action compared to the chain of things you need to do for the UFOs.

Like I pointed out, every other game makes you focus purely on dodging, and then periodically and/or depending on how well you dodge, it rewards you with resources. In contrast, 12 adds a whole other dimension, another simultaneous game, and makes you succeed at both to get any resources at all. If you're merely good at dodging, you don't get shit. The game doesn't reward you for playing the core of the game. (Unless you're so good that you need nothing, but then you have to get UFOs to score anyway...)

It's not about being a causal or not, it's just a principle of game design that the UFO mechanic breaks. If you enjoy the kind of difficulty that arises from that anyway, more power to you, but don't try to defend it as being a good choice.
>>
trying to clear IN but its too hard ;_;
>>
>>14690931
Just bomb.
>>
Speaking of UFO, I LNBed it two days ago. It was a formidable challenge and I'm glad I achieved it.
>>
>>14690931
Hold shift for focused movement
>>
>>14690931
IN is not as easy as people like to say if you actually want to capture the spellcards but even then the game showers you in bombs. Use them.
>>
>>14689497
I didn't think people still argued about this. It's 2016 already.

>>14690668
>DDC's is the best
Ignore every post made by this guy.
>>
File: 23976105.jpg (69 KB, 571x807) Image search: [Google]
23976105.jpg
69 KB, 571x807
>>14690949
Excellent work. l don't know if I'll ever be on a similar level. Just getting a 1cc on Lunatic is difficult enough for me.
>>
>>14690402
Are you kidding me? Or are you talking about for a score run, not a clear? Her balanced shot types and decent bomb means she has no real weakness, making her a solid choice even if others excel in certain areas.

Sakuya B excels at nothing. Once you get to spell cards with bullets that can't be cancelled, her bomb is worse than useless, and her piss-weak yet laser-focused shot makes fighting Shinmyoumaru almost impossible.
>only bad if you are too dependant of bombs
But the game is made with the expectation that you have shit-ton of bombs, so of course you're supposed to use them.
>>
File: Kochiya.Sanae.full.846772.jpg (68 KB, 843x653) Image search: [Google]
Kochiya.Sanae.full.846772.jpg
68 KB, 843x653
>>14691000
Yay, cute Sanae. :3 And thank you. I'm sure that you'll achieve some Lunatics, too. Just gotta be more persistent!
>>
>>14691001
No. In a survival run you'll want to capture spellcards as fast as possible, have you tried to capture Kagerou's "Moonlit Canine Teeth" with Reimu B?
>But the game is made with the expectation that you have shit-ton of bombs, so of course you're supposed to use them.

See, i told you, you rely too much on bombs, Sakuya's bomb is enough to get back on the track. You are expecting for the bomb to clear away the spellcard or the pattern.
I'm not saying that Sakuya B is a good shot type (she's not) i'm saying that is better than Reimu B by the sole fact that she does more damage and covers a larger range with her unfocused shot type.
>>
>>14691042
I dunno about that. The wiki does say her green knives do slightly more damage than Reimu's needles, though I could've sworn it was the other way around. But as for covering a larger range, the amulets go right where they need to, while the knives leave huge gaps. And during bosses, even if you can't get your main shots in, all the amulets will still hit.

Anyway, I rely too much on bombs because the bosses are fucking brutal. I know Seija's flippy spells are a meme, but they're a cakewalk compared to some of the other shit in that game.
>>
The thing I'll never understand is why the fuck I'm able to capture Clownpiece's spells in Hard easily but I still have some bad times capturing the Normal versions.
>>
>>14691077
The problem is that the amulets are a bit slower than just shooting unfocused with the knives, you can notice this in stage 5 whit the enemies that flip over.

Also, yeah, some patterns are really tough but they are not that bad. The only one spellcard that is absolute bullshit is "inchling path" since the openings are extremely RNG dependant.
>>
File: fuckingfaggotpieceofshit.png (34 KB, 256x216) Image search: [Google]
fuckingfaggotpieceofshit.png
34 KB, 256x216
>>14691130
>the openings are extremely RNG dependant
Not at all. They're always just far enough to the right to keep your shots from connecting.
>>
File: tewi pillage.png (102 KB, 430x331) Image search: [Google]
tewi pillage.png
102 KB, 430x331
>>14687926
I just got into the games pretty recently, started with IN and 1cc'd IN Normal at the end of last year, so my goal right now is to both clear and 1cc most of the mainline games on normal, starting with EoSD and PCB and just going in order. When I get to IN I'll try to beat it with a different team or try EX Clear.
>>
Who has the best spellcard names? I like Kanako's.
>>
>>14691292
thematically, i really love kaguya's, even though they're just listing off the mythical items. im also quite partial to her finals spells all saying "Imperishable Night's End" and counting down the time.
>>
>>14690922
I think we're starting to hit the point where we yell at each other "my opinion is better than yours!"

The UFO system highten the stakes considerably, and makes resource collection into a much more demanding endeavour, this much is objective. And while you see this as a negative, I legitimately do enjoy this style of high-risk, high-reward play. Jumping into enemy fire while making sure not to get hit and timing the UFO-catch nigh-perfectly to grab it when it's the right color, juggling the appearance of the UFO with evading the enemy bullets and then filling it up with items, memorizing what to do with the small UFOs to get the most out of each, this is all great stuff in my eyes. And while I wouldn't agree with it being "objectively bad" I won't argue that it's certainly different from everything else.

So I don't know, I suppose I concede.

And I guess I'll say it too: I beat UFO in Normal too. I did it with every shottype. However, I could never beat the Extra stage. I don't know what's wrong with me, but Kogasa always destroys me.

>>14690974
That was fucking rude.
>>
File: 1433030218881.gif (89 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1433030218881.gif
89 KB, 170x170
im tired of being secondary

I hear that EoSD isnt really the place to start even though its chronologically the first amongst the newline Touhou, but with a patch its fine.

I forgot which patch it was though.
Can someone help?
>>
>>14690974
>It's 2016 already.
Oh sorry I forgot it was the current year. Sorry, I will stop having opinions that are not the same as yours since it is the current year.
>>
>>14691411
That's the v-sync patch or "vpatch".

It solves an issue that happens when trying to run EoSD with newer computers (it causes the game to take too long to respond to your key presses).

The vpatch is available for several different games, just in case that same issue happens in another one. I had it happen in PCB, for example.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Game_Tools_and_Modifications#Vsync_Patches
>>
>>14691465
oh
so theres a chance i may not even need the patch?
just making sure, would love to start today
>>
>>14691411
There's nothing wrong with starting with EoSD. The game will teach you no bad habits, only good ones. Just don't touch the starting lives setting, and especially don't install the hitbox patch.
>>
>>14691411
EoSD is a fine place to start, just be aware that Sakuya and Remi will probably slap your shit.
>>
>>14691480
>>14691492
Ok then thank you jp

wish me luck
>>
>>14691471
>so theres a chance i may not even need the patch?
I'd first have to take a look at your computer. But yeah, try the game first and if you see the game takes abnormally long to respond to your key presses then you can come back and I'm sure someone will help you out with the patch.
>>
>>14691587
I'd add that while those two anons are right, just don't think 6 is the best the series has to offer. Mechanically it's fine, but it feels kind of unpolished and lacks some features that have since become staples. But it's low-medium difficulty, so you should be fine as long as you stick with it. Good luck!

>>14691317
>>14691292
If we're talking thematically, you can't beat Miko's. As for raw cool factor, there are a lot of individual cards with great names, but I'd say Marisa is the most consistent.
>>
File: qBTDfvuskvo.jpg (475 KB, 1520x2160) Image search: [Google]
qBTDfvuskvo.jpg
475 KB, 1520x2160
Which one of Marisa's shot types is your favourite in MoF?

Mine is MarisaC, but I'd enjoy MarisaB too if it weren't glitched. MarisaA gives me too much of a hand-me-down Gradius feeling.
>>
>>14691411
EoSD is a fine place to start, it's just "bare" compared to later games that have gimmicks. Honestly for someone just starting out I'd recommend it or PCB.

Just make sure you grab the v-sync patch if the input delay feels unbearable.
>>
>>14689974
Is there any perfect clear of the Extra mode? I can do everything except second Junko and last from Trinity.
>>
>>14691111
Dem quads. Also, it's because first and second are more difficult in Normal than in Lunatic. Also, Third is difficult in any one, but the last two are easy in any difficulty.
>>
In general, is it best to use a 2hu with a high damage count if you only want survival? I am trying to ween off of bombing shit.
>>
>>14692199
For survival just pick needle Reimu in almost every game.
>>
>>14692284
Why not homing Reimu ?
She can kill lots of fairy before they start to fill the screen by bullets. So it make a run easier than with an Reimu that only shot in front of her.
>>
>>14692987
Bad damage is bad, you have to do overtime on almost every spell card.
>>
>>14692199
It pretty much entirely depends on how you play and what you have the most trouble with. Just pick whoever feels most comfortable for each game.
>>
>>14692987
Homing Reimu is better for stages a lot of the time but needle Reimu is almost always better for bosses.
>>
File: 143453453535353.gif (2 MB, 490x524) Image search: [Google]
143453453535353.gif
2 MB, 490x524
>>14690749
>>14690668
What's with these casual shitters thinking that their opinion matters when it comes to difficulty?
UFO is objectively a shit game. Any legitimately good player will tell you that.

The resource collecting isn't hard in the slightest. In fact, it makes the game even more casual since you've got UFO's clearing the screen for you every few seconds. You literally don't have to dodge shit thanks to the UFO's acting as a crutch.
Meanwhile, players that aren't garbage go through the game without collecting UFO's at all, and even then, it's still piss easy because the patterns are laughable. There's no density at all, and the bullet movement speed is at an all time low.

We have faggots like this guy calling other players casuals, then immediately goes on about how difficult he finds it to perform a simple task like collecting UFO's.
Do you even have a single clear in the game that matters? Or did you clear on some irrelevant difficulty setting while spamming bombs and abusing UFO's clearing the screen of any danger for you and then think that this gives you the right to run your mouth about difficulty, which quite frankly is a subject you clearly have no clue about?

There's a reason why UFO is bottom of the barrel in terms of Touhou game popularity, and that's because it's dog shit. Plain and simple.

UFO has:
Some of the easiest stage 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 bosses.
Shou is mid tier, probably around the 3rd or 4th hardest stage 5 boss.
Laughably easy stages, which are made easier if you actually need to collect UFO's since they double as a free screen clear.
Uninteresting characters besides Nazrin.
Shit music besides Emotional Skyscraper and the stage 4 theme.

Speaking of which, the stage 4 section of UFO is literally one of the only things it did well. That stage remains fun as fuck, especially to perfect pacify.
To bad Murasa ruins it by being a disappointingly bad boss.

To summarize :-
Don't talk about difficulty unless you, at minimum, can beat all of the games without using bombs.

Fucking casual shitters. Holy fuck.
>>
>>14695377
>Don't talk about difficulty unless you, at minimum, can beat all of the games without using bombs.
Post your scores.
>>
File: 123453453453534.jpg (14 KB, 316x230) Image search: [Google]
123453453453534.jpg
14 KB, 316x230
>>14695413
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a3qli5t333jq9yv/th13_udMe19.rpy
>>
>>14692987
Homing shottypes are gay
>>
File: fuck everything.png (718 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
fuck everything.png
718 KB, 1024x1024
As a casual, I hate UFO. I hate SA even more though, because at least UFO didn't have shitty shot types.

BUT HEY WHAT THE FUCK DO I KNOW I PLAY ON NORMAL
>>
>>14695561
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that actually.

UFO has good shot types. UFO needles Reimu in particular is one of the best iterations of that shot type.
>>
>>14695561
You know pretty well, SA has garbage as hell shot types in ZUN's attempt to make them represent characters. At least in IN they were minimal stuff but he really took it to another level in SA. Probably some of the worst in the series.
>>
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm kind of new to these threads; is the Sasami poster a regular troll here?

>>14695561
Nah, 11 is great. You just have to learn how to play with each shot type, since there's a lot more variation, and in general a lot more interesting stuff going on than in 12. (Well, that said, Alice is a bit shit no matter how you slice it.)
>>
>>14695580
Try playing hellsinker or akashicverse and no touhou shot type will seem difficult again.
>>
>>14695430
>calls UFO shit
>posts TD of all games
this is bait
>>
>>14695561
>>14695579
I don't know, I found most of UFO's shot types rather underwhelming.

Reimu A is just a generic needle shot, there's pretty much nothing to say about it.

Reimu B kind of sucks in this game, as UFOs confuse it. This isn't so noticeable normally, but it makes the Nue fight in Extra more annoying that it needs to be.

Marisa A is alright, but it has the low of range of Magic Missiles combined with the lower power of Illusion Laser. I mean I can't hate it, it's the last time Marisa gets a piercing shot, and it's by no means bad (it's actually my favorite shot to use of the 6), but it's not as fun to use as, say, PCB's laser shot.

Marisa B needs full power to do any real damage, in a game where you lose 1/4 max power every time you die. It's not fun. Another issue with her is that her bomb animation actually lasts longer than the invincibility she gets from bombing, and unless you have a bomb like MarisaB in DDC, that's just plain bad design.

Sanae A is actually pretty interesting. Her homing almost seems to work better than Reimu's in this game, for some reason, and her bomb does its job.

Sanae B is a shot type that's pretty much carried by it's stupidly over powered bomb. There's not much to like about it, it's just another shot type where you need to shotgun, and it happens to have AoE I suppose.
>>
>>14695636
Are you really trying to downplay a world record just because you got blown the fuck out?

That really is sad.
>>
>>14695636
Not him but even thought i think Ten desires stages 2,3 and 5 are kind of underwhelming, stage 6 and extra make up for it. True administrator is one of the few songs that sound like a boss battle without being too melancholic.
Trance is a terrible mechanic thought.
>>
>>14695736
Wait, did he post the TD's Extra WR?
Isn't that typically posted by that huge shitposter?
>>
>>14695792

yeah he always hates on UFO lol this isn't new. I know him and this is definitely him btw

with that said, this ended up hilariously with someone being baited into saying "post your scores" to a world record holder
>>
>>14695855
It would be funnier if the guy wasn't an opinionated idiot who'll do it even when he isn't asked.
>>
>>14695855
It's T's replay.
>>
>>14695711
I think they meant it in the sense that 12's shot types are relatively consistent and easy to use, compared to 11's which were very gimmicky, and hit-or-miss in terms of power. I can see why 12's would feel underwhelming, because they're all pretty standard except for Super Shortwave, which isn't that good. However, it's still better than Alice's useless, weak shot with its useless, weak bomb.
>>
>>14695901
This. I preffer usable shot types. UFO and EoSD had the most consistent shot types in the windows era in my opinion. The only gimmicky shot type that i enjoyed using is TD Youmu.
>>
>>14695901
That's fair. I mean UFO does have solid shot types, but I've always thought that there were games that did shot types that were both more fun, and just as balanced, like DDC and MoF.

>However, it's still better than Alice's useless, weak shot with its useless, weak bomb.
In Alice's defense, the solo shot types were just put in as a bonus, they were never meant to be balanced. Some of them ended up being god tier as a result (solo Youmu), while some of them ended up being complete trash (solo Sakuya). The shot types of IN are more balanced if you just look at the Teams.

>>14695930
I think PCB had more enjoyable and solid shot types overall than either, to be honest.
>>
>>14696369
>I think PCB had more enjoyable and solid shot types overall than either, to be honest.

How so? Both Reimu's shot types are super slow compared to most games and Sakuya gets two free bombs for no reason at all.
>>
>>14696632
>Sakuya gets two free bombs for no reason at all.
She can afford more bombs unlike the dirt poor shrine maiden and the shitty magician
>>
Trying to learn playing on arrow keys after WASD is suffering.
>>
mof>td>in>eosd>sa>pcb>fw>ufo
>>
>>14697194
What about DDC and LoLK?
>>
>>14690085
>UFO
>worst music
This is the worst opinion I've ever seen. Both stage 5 musics are incredible. The fucking 11/4 meter signature in the 5th stage theme is beautifully weaved, undoubtedly the best 11 beat song I've ever heard. The murasa and kogasa songs are really well done. You can't take any issue with fires of hokkai or emotional skyscraper unless you are mentally ill. Ufo romance (ex theme) should grow on any well adjusted person as a fun song, and nue's theme and ichirin's theme are both weird and catchy.
Nazrin's is a little ehh. I'll give you that. But it's one of the best stage 1 boss themes, besides seiran.
>>
>>14697129
You don't have to if you don't want to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/2mh105/want_to_use_wasd_or_special_keyboard/cm45oxq
>>
>>14697194
SA > IN > PCB > TD > PoFV > MoF > EoSD > DDC > UFO

>>14697415
Only the 4/5/EX stage themes and 6/EX boss themes were good. The rest are garbage, with everything before the fourth stage being especially bad.
>>
>>14697424
>DDC and EoSD that low
>SA and TD that high

ayyyyy
>>
File: 1393354919287.jpg (75 KB, 719x516) Image search: [Google]
1393354919287.jpg
75 KB, 719x516
>>14697431
DDC can be summarized as sitting on top of the PoC and bombing. At least TD's hyper system was fun.
>>
Post you're play times
>>
>>14697421
Thanks for the link, but remapping keys is not the issue for me.

For the longest time I played with a WASD, LShift for focus, Space for bomb, mouse button 4 for shoot scheme. It's pretty neat but evidently tapping Shift is still difficult with my little finger, so on a whim I've decided to adopt completely the standard controls scheme, especially seeing as it's the one most people use. It's a bit rough right now but at the same time oddly comfortable, so I'm motivated to continue.
>>
>>14697466
Oh, so you're doing it on purpose and finding it hard to adapt.

Nevermind the link, then. And good luck, I was NEVER able to get used to the default control scheme, and I tried as hard as I could.
>>
>>14697424
Oh, that explains it. You dont like stage 6 theme, so you're braindead. That's why you have no appreciation for good music.
I bet you like un owen was her, or candid friend, or some normie garbage like that you fucking idiot. Stop wasting my time.
>>
>>14697472
>Nevermind the link, then.
No worries.

I'm giving it a month really. If I'll still suck mightily by then, I'll go back to WASD and just remap Shift.

Right now I'm playing through Shoot the Bullet for the second time, trying to cap all the scenes. One of my favourite games.
>>
>>14697443
>DDC can be summarized as sitting on top of the PoC and bombing

Uh that's a pretty terrible trivialized argument
>TD can be summarized as spamming C and bombing

>TD's hyper system was fun
I sure as hell didn't find fun trance activating automatically after missing in a nonspell ruining my chances of capturing the next spellcard.
>>
>>14697486
Not him but "UN owen was her" was musically good, thought. It uses a lot of key drops and scale changes plus it takes advantage of some instruments that ZUN rarely uses like the violin. I agree with candid friend, i don't know why people like it that much.
>>
File: one-month-and-3213-shots-later.png (3 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
one-month-and-3213-shots-later.png
3 MB, 1440x1080
All right /jp/, I finally did it. It was one of the most unfun and painful time I ever experienced in a game, I fucking hate StB.
>>
>>14697550
>3213 shots

Wait till you get to BbWaP
>>
>>14697536
I like it mainly because of the simple melody with the note progressions.
>>
>>14697550
Well done, though in my case I actually enjoyed the scene and I still go back to it sometimes.

>>14697564
That may be difficult or not. It took me 2700 photos to clear 9-6, but about 200 to clear that one, and then I did it again 100 shots later.
>>
>>14697415
Your opinion on music is absolutely garbage.
Please cease posting any time soon.
>>
>>14697583
I had it backwards, it took me arround 300 shots to clear 9-6 and 1000 to clear WaP so you are probably right.
>>
>>14697472
Are you right- or left-handed? Supposedly one of the hands has finer motor skills.
>>
>>14696632
I actually thought that the different bomb amounts was clever. Sakuya has shitty bombs, so she gets more of them.
Marisa gets less bombs, but the bombs she has are fantastic. I understand why they didn't come back of course.

>Both Reimu's shot types are super slow compared to most games
That might be a personal thing, because I've never noticed it. Granted, I typically use Marisa.

>>14697550
Kek, how does someone even suck this much?
>>
>>14696369
>the solo shot types were just put in as a bonus
No, I meant from 11; Rainbow Wire and Remote Sacrifice.

At least Nitori had a powerful, if unwieldy, shot, and a bomb that could really save your ass despite doing no damage. Alice's whole thing was "but you get eight options/bombs!", except they were so much shittier than everyone else's that it didn't even matter.
>>
>>14698001
So long as there's at least one good shot type the other ones are irrelevant. Patchouli's is great.
>>
>>14698101
Personally, I don't feel I've truly cleared a game until I've done so with every shot type; it proves a bit more to myself that I've actually learned something. Of course, I still rely on bombs either way, so that's kind of arbitrary.

You're right though, Patche's is the best. You can get so cheeky with the backwards shot, it's ridiculous.
>>
>>14698168
That's fair enough. I balance my secondary addiction to Touhou with actually playing the games, so I simply play them on terms I consider minimally satisfactory--mostly just 1cc's as a single preferred shot type.
>>
>>14698001
>At least Nitori had a powerful, if unwieldy, shot
Are we playing the same game? Nitori has one of the weakest shots in the game, only out damaging Patchouli at a long range, and maybe Suika.
Alice, if I'm not mistaken, is the second most powerful shot in the game, sheer damage-wise.
>>
>>14698267
The wiki doesn't seem to have any exact damage numbers for 11. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, that the missiles feel more powerful. In any case, while Alice's total damage output might be good at full power, it's impossible or at least impractical to get all the shots lined up on a boss, and for crowd control the individual shots are weak as hell.
>>
>>14698779
if you're looking for damage number this thread has got you covered
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,1 5824.0.html
>>
>>14697682
Right-handed.

In games, I always set up my controls so that I use my left hand for movement (WASD) and my right hand for actions.
>>
Which game has the easiest lunatic? Currently I'm trying to 1cc PCB with ReimuB / SakuyaB.
>>
i just played some ufo and now i cant stop vomiting help
>>
>>14699821
PCB.
>>
>>14699821
PCB, yes. So you're on the right track.
>>
>>14699821
Whenever someone asks what the easiest or hardest game is, it always triggers my autism when they don't state the context, such as "easiest to 1cc" or "easiest to start to learn scoring for", etc.

PCB is one of the easier 1ccs.
>>
>>14697486
>people have different opinions
>of a niche jap game
>they must be braindead
>and normies
I don't even like U.N. Owen was her or Candid Friend, but this is pitiful behavior.
Crawl back to whatever shit board you came from. The /jp/ posters are a lot nicer, and they call "normies" secondaries.
>>
Undertale is harder.
>>
>>14700215
It's harder to not shitpost when you're an Undertale fan
>>>/vg/utg
>>
>>14700245
Since when is posting facts considered shitposting?
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
25 KB, 480x360
Post you're favorite ZUN music CD album.
Pic related, also Magical Astronomy.
>>
>>14700376
whoah which game is that
>>
File: autism-intensifies.gif (514 KB, 221x231) Image search: [Google]
autism-intensifies.gif
514 KB, 221x231
>>14700376
>you're
>>
>>14700610
I clicked "reply" instead of "new thread".

>>14700613
Yes anon, what's you're favorite album?
>>
>>14697536
Ok, listening to owen again, that is valid. But i bet he likes it because its memetastic, not because it has good musical design.
If he appreciated creative music he would have liked ichirin's theme, which is weird and cool as fuck and still comes out with a proper tone.
>>14697592
I bet you listen to indie rock, kid. Go back to /mu/. Or if you're up to it, give a good composer a try, since there's a chance anyone might do something good for themselves for a change.
>>14700171
Ah, sorry. I'm not totally into the ettiquette yet. I'm from /v/ mostly so I'm used to being a complete arrogant dickhole about every small issue and expecting that of others.
>>
>>14701758
Ichirin's theme is trash, just like your taste in music.
>>
>>14700058
Could you be any more pretentious. If you bothered to read the rest of the post, you'd know the context is for a 1cc, but instead you decide to blow your aspie gasket because of your ego over MUH SCORES.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-01+at+09.29.40).png (481 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-01+at+09.29.40).png
481 KB, 639x480
need to get better .w.
>>
File: imanigger.png (348 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
imanigger.png
348 KB, 640x480
>play for 6 years
>can still barely 1cc
tfw shit
>>
>>14701815
I'm sorry, you're right. I should try to be more humble.
>>
>>14701852
that's pretty gr8 tho, this game is impossible according to some people on here
>>
>>14701990
I would compliment you on your lunatic 1cc, but

>>play for 6 years
why don't you try hard?
>>
>>14702015
also that looks like an extremely high score actually. man, i've been baited
>>
>>14702009
I'm guessing they have trouble with Normal/Hard.
>>
>>14700376
Ditto, love almost every track on DiPP. I'd say my second favorite is CoSD
>>
>>14701990
you're the best!!
>>
>>14701990
i was in tohou for 10 years!!
and i still cant beat game on hard!!
haha
>>
>>14702807
I beat my first game on Lunatic after 6 month
>>
File: th004.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
th004.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
Finally! My first 1cc!
>>
>>14702921
congrats! What's next??
>>
>>14702921
The first step of many.
>>
>>14702926
Good question. I usually play whichever games I feel like playing, but the ones I'm currently focusing on are EoSD and PCB, where I get to stage 5/6 on one credit. But after a while playing, it just becomes a battle with myself, as just one stupid mistake gets my motivation to rock bottom.
>>
Did a normal clear of th7 on arrow keys instead of WASD. My ability to see and control patterns is more than enough but execution is rubbish unless I go for the simplest routes possible. It made me realise how inefficient my go-to routes with WASD can sometimes get though.
>>
>>14702101
That one is one of my favorites too. I love Dream of Arcadia and the arrange of Illusory Science.
>>
File: fce656715835882b38612a047119800a.jpg (405 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
fce656715835882b38612a047119800a.jpg
405 KB, 1200x1200
>>14703039
I'm in pretty much the same situation on Hard, and got so discouraged I haven't played in almost two weeks. Don't be like me. Keep at it!
>>
>can't 1cc any game on normal even after playing the games for a year
>sakuya
>prismfucker sisters
>Stage 3 and beyond, IN spellcards not comfy
>doesn't technically count
>everything after kappa
>Stage 5, if not Orin
>UFO is comfy on spellcards but I'm so autistic I've restarted stage 1 and 2 over any small mistake on UFOs/deaths
>lose traction on zombie bitch, die a lot on double team, can't get off futo's boat, die often to miko's danmaku washing machine
>can't make it past wolfgirl's stage
>No.
At least ISC is fun.
>>
>>14703732
Play Lotus Land Story, it's probably the easiest one to 1cc. I did it on normal on my 2nd run in general, and I'm shit too.
>>
>>14703732
As a fellow scrub, maybe I can help. For starters, it sounds like you need to pick one game and stick with it. Also, you'll never get anywhere with that kind of defeatist attitude.

If you can get through Patche without complaints, you should be able to beat Sakuya as well, and then Remi is one of the easiest final bosses.

The Prismrivers really aren't bad once you learn how to fight them, although they're harder with Sakuya. Unfortunately, Youmu and Yuyuko are among the hardest stage 5 and 6 bosses.

A lot of the spell cards in 8 seem scary, but most of them are actually simple once you know how. Stage 4 is probably the hardest part, at least on Normal.

For 10, just don't be afraid of bombing. Stage 4 is a pain in the ass, but Aya and Sanae are pushovers.

Rin and her stage are disproportionately hard compared to the rest of 11, so if you can get over that hump then you'll be fine, since Okuu is more theatrical than difficult.

It sounds like you know what your problem with 12 is, so I don't know what you're waiting for.

Learn how to take care of Yoshika and Futo since they're relatively easy, then just manage your resources well for Seiga and Miko. Use trance strategically instead of waiting until you die.

14 requires you to play a bit differently than usual, so get used to bombing more, especially to auto-collect into life pieces. Whatever you do, don't hoard bombs. If you play as a B character, the stage 4 boss is much easier, and then you just have to worry about Seija, who's actually not that bad, and Shinmyoumaru, who actually might be the most difficult final boss.

In general, keep playing through mistakes rather than giving up, and watch replays for fights you have trouble with. I barely play video games, and had basically never played a shmup until about a year ago, yet 1cc'd every game on Normal within nine months. You can do it!
>>
>>14703732
I'd suggest watching YouTube videos, there are some perfect normal clears out there as well as all the videos of perfect lunatic and stuff.

Then just practice the stages you have trouble with, that's really all you can do.
>>
>>14703732
Who you quotin'
>>
i remeber looking at a website that basically explained every spellcard for each character of eosd (and possible the other 2hus) and gave hints on how to beat them.
might have had a yellow background, not sure about that one though.

can anyone help?
>>
>>14703732
Just pick one game and stick with it. Isn't that common sense?
>>
>>14704042
Touhouwiki has spell cards listed for every game. Go to a game's page and click the spell cards link under gameplay.
>>
>>14704042
https://sites.google.com/site/touhoueosd/
This one maybe?
>>
>>14704126
Those just have the in-game description. As far as I can remember, only the Strategy page for 14 has any specific spell card tips.
>>
>>14704179
Oh, so there's something more in depth somewhere. I don't know then.
>>
>>14700376
You already picked it, so I'll go with R53M.
>>
>>14703877
I religiously played 12 because I was comfortable with it the most. I'm utter shit at the gimmick but every time I try and play I just fuck it all up early on.
I spent several hours fucking up stages 1 and 2 one day, not because I don't know what I'm doing by now but that's just my shitty ability to play bullet hell.
>>
>>14704146
thats normal though
>>
>>14703877
>>14704890 here
To supplement this:
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=th12_xx.rpy
Have a laugh at my expense I don't even give a shit anymore. This never happened to me in any other playthroughs but when this shit happens this early on it's time to stop fucking playing. I don't care how retarded this shitty replay makes me look for resetting over the dumbest shit because I already know that with my incredibly ass skill I would never make it past stage 5, maybe even 4. I spent a month playing this shit and quite frankly I'm tired of losing all my lives in stage 4 or 5 because I didn't grab the one red UFO in the beginning so I was off by one fucking life shard.

Furthermore I had one good run and it was utterly ruined in stage 5 because Reimu's fat armpit space sucked in blue UFOs despite trying to get away from them. No I'm not using SanaeB because her fucking toads ruin any sort of accuracy I need for handling UFOs.

I am an underskilled autistic object, and that's all there is to it. I don't care about "defeatist attitude" bullshit, I'm being realistic. If I was actually defeatist I would stop trying altogether.
>>
>>14695864
[citation needed]
>>
>>14705054
bad link.
>>
>>14705625
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkqqbn0yezm3cgw/th12_xx.rpy?dl=0
Here I'm a fucking retard with dropbox.
>>
I'm so glad I beat 12 last.
>>
I just finally got up the gumption to get a normal clear in LoLK. Jesus christ I still barely get past Doremi on extra though the stage is so long i've yet to see Heca-T despite clearing 3 ex bosses before.

Apparently Marisa is hard to use in LoLK though? I just picked her because her outfit was best this game.
>>
>>14705811
I'd say her shot is the one least fit to LoLK.
>>
What are the recomended shot types on MoF normal ? I've been using Marisa C for the boss damage, but not sure if it's worth it against trash.
>>
>>14706513
Reimu B is good. Actually, needle Reimu good for pretty much every game, except maybe not DDC/LoLK
>>
>>14706513
Marisa B scores the highest.
Reimu A/B scores the easiest.
>>
>>14706790
And for survival ?

>>14706557
Will try
>>
>>14706798
Any shot will do. Just don't game over.
>>
>>14706814
Thanks
>>
>>14687926
I managed to beat LoLK on Pointdevice on Easy twice, once with Reimu and once with the Earth Rabbit girl. Got to Junko again with Marisa but had no spell cards so I couldn't get past Pure Bullet Hell. Given that it's my first real experience with 2hu and shmups in general besides a little bit of time with 6 I'm kinda satisfied.
>>
>>14705650
that was weird as hell. it's like, it's looking fine but then you're afraid of bullets for no reason

get gud?
>>
>>14707965
No, it's me throwing an autistic shitfit because I couldn't even grab both UFOs at the very beginning. I normally grab both of those.
>>
>>14707987
The replay only lasted like 15 seconds so I was kind of confused and thought you uploaded the wrong one, but I see what happened now. I want to hug anons who are struggling with 2hu.
>>
>>14705811
Yes in LoLK Marisa the incarnation of weakness because she spend all her time to fuck with Rinnosuke and not training at all, so she lose all her magic strengh in this game.
>>
>>14706513
All of Marisa's shots are good. C can be downright unfair against bosses, and for stages you can mostly just leave the options to one side and manually shoot down stuff on the other. Reimu A and B are both fine, but C is really unwieldy. Also, Reimu makes the spell card Mountain of Faith harder because of her movement speed, if you care about that.
>>
>>14706790
Is there any patch that take off the cheat of Marisa B with 3 power no focus in MoF ?
>>
>>14708037
vpatch and edit the .ini
>>
Am I supposed to find 2hu boring to play when I'm first starting out? I've gotten to Stage 4 in Imperishable Night on normal without needing to continue, but I don't find the game interesting or engaging at all. I tried the game out on hard and only made it to the stage 2 boss before needing to continue, and even on the harder difficulty wasn't really any more fun for me. is this genre just not for me something? I'm not getting agravated or anything like that when I play the game, I just kind of feel bored whenever I try these games.
>>
>>14708370
of course putting in a single credit and flailing around isn't going to be very engaging, hte interesting part is when you try to learn the game and 1cc it (or reach whatever goal you set for you)
>>
>>14708370
Most of the Touhou games are pretty similar, so yeah, they might be not for you if you don't enjoy dodging bullets. Still, if you really want to try everything to see what sticks, then PoFV, StB, FW each have rather distinct gameplay, though still based on dodging bullets.
>>
>>14708379
so the game becomes enjoyable after you get better at it?
>>
>>14708393
It becomes enjoyable when you start -trying- to get better.
>>
>>14708393
>>14708403
I think the main appeal of the games is that they are very accessible to anyone who likes a challenge and allow for goals that constantly increase in difficulty up to a level that's beyond human capabilities
>>
>>14708423
I get the games are hard and challenging, but I don't see a reason to challenge myself at a game that I don't really have fun with.
>>
>>14707120
Not bad, but two who is all about 1cc's, so you need to work on that.
>>
>>14708428
I recently have the same feeling about Daioujou.
(I'm not trolling Cave like lots people thinked the last time I'd say that. It's juste my personal feeling)
>>
>>14707987
if you record a longer replay (at least up to murasa) anon might be able to help you.
>>
>>14708445
stuff like that only becomes a problem when you feel like you want to play a shmup but hate every single one you have tried. add a desire to let everybody know about that and you get the recipe for pure obnoxiousness, though.
>>
>>14708447
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vawslrp65n5tl5y/th12_NUMBERS.rpy?dl=0
I did, I just didn't feel like sharing it because I know most of my mistakes are around not knowing when I need to bomb until it's too late, and mostly poor UFO management that I can't seem to get down. I started with SA so I have a problem with remembering that bombing is an option. I just have problems because when I start bombing I really don't like stopping bombing which makes me reliant on them.

More of my issues lie in practice though because I ragequit my touhous all the time for at least a few days since I can feel my progress go backwards. Managing my anger is more of an exercise than playing the game.

Also this is a slightly old replay so it's not as accurate. I've relented on bombing until I reach Ichirin's boss fight. I can't bring myself to record a fresh one because I haven't gotten that far in a while due to my ragequits and I can't concentrate right now to make a new one.
>>
>>14708392
tried pofv and stb and got bored of both of them, should i even bother with fw?
>>
>>14708563
Watch a replay of FW done right (Lunatic scoring) and decide for yourself.
>>
>>14708497
it's pretty okay until Shou. Full lives going into Murasa's fight! On Shou you proceed to die over 9000 times with bombs in stock on every spell card, then fuck up Byakuren's stage and die. I guess you already know your own problems, but in particular to me it seemed like you were constantly afraid of stages and didn't really understand what was going on at any given time, only haphazardly getting out of of the way of some bullets and sometimes randomly grabbing UFOs. My advice is to understand how stages really work, how danmaku is launched etc., and acquire a tighter route for UFOs. You also need to practice Shou because that fight was a disaster. Before Byakuren, learn the route that gets you a ton of bombs so you can bomb through nearly all of her hard stuff.
>>
>>14708607
Stage 5 is strange for me because I can't see shit and panic. I think that was the second time I got to Shou on normal due to my ragequitting habits trying to understand the early game.

I have no idea what you're talking about by the rest though, bomb route? UFO route? I just try and grab reds or RGBs if reds aren't going to be in good supply. I thought green UFOs were shit.
>>
>>14708648
Stage 6 gives you a disproportionate amount of green UFOs so it's possible to get something like 6 or 7 of them. That's enough to bomb the hell out of byaks at least until her final spell card.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.