[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC 98
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10
File: tumblr_mirk3reZB31s0nxdco1_1280.png (1014 KB, 1000x824) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mirk3reZB31s0nxdco1_1280.png
1014 KB, 1000x824
PC 98 Thread!

What do you guys think of retro 2hu? I like them a lot, but they definitely play differently than what we're used to today. I've been considering making remakes of them to match the modern games better but I'm too lazy ;3;
>>
>>14606450
I clean my soul by playing HRtP on lunatic.

I'm not good at it, but it feels good to play.
>>
File: cute-ka.png (14 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
cute-ka.png
14 KB, 640x400
>they definitely play differently than what we're used to
Yeah, they're worse. Or rather, they haven't aged very well. I suppose they're a better experience if you grew up playing games like that.

Regardless, I love the PC-98 world. The golden age of Gensoukyou is nice and all, but it can't deliver anything like crossing a lake of blood to go burn down a genocidal youkai's mansion.
>>
>>14607353
I don't find them worse, the only real problem I find is that in certain stages danmaku and background blend too much due to the limited palette. Most of my deaths are due to that.

I guess the characters move a little clunkier too but that's not an issue for me.
>>
PC-98 Marisa is too cute.
>>
File: rusty-13.png (61 KB, 642x402) Image search: [Google]
rusty-13.png
61 KB, 642x402
Can we talk about non-2hu PC-98 games too?

Because Rusty is just the bee's knees.
>>
File: 1389130511115.png (1 MB, 1120x700) Image search: [Google]
1389130511115.png
1 MB, 1120x700
>>14607402
>danmaku and background blend too much due to the limited palette

From what I've seen, that's the number 1 complaint about 1-5. I completely agree. On the other hand, I like how difficult the EX stages are - I've never managed to beat a single one, although I did get pretty far in MS's once or twice.
>>
>>14606450
>I've been considering making remakes of them to match the modern games better but I'm too lazy ;3;
I will literally suck your dick.
>>
>>14607402
Yeah, both those things absolutely kill me. Literally; I always die because either the character is so slow compared to the bullets, or they sneak up on me though some combination of my shot, the background, sparkle effects, or items.

Anyway, they're alright games, but I've only managed to clear LLS because I just can't work up the motivation to play them repeatedly.
>>
>>14607411
I have a huge collection of them lying around, but I never end up playing any of them because they aren't translated.
>>
>>14607423
>I will literally suck your dick.

Well if you put it that way... Maybe.
>>
I think the atmosphere in PC98 games is completely different. It's kinda space/fantasy like with more melancholic music. I like that.
I also like how backgrounds are often either stars or some patterns as opposed to actual locations. I understand that is due to lack of 3D and Zun's own limitations of that period, but in a way these were even better than 3D. These patterns inspire feeling of travelling through some phantasmagorical world.
>>
LLS has the best music in my opinion. It's just something about it that I couldn't pick out. I feel it has the most "Touhou" feel out of all ZUN's music. Also its Japanese title is the best, Touhou Gensokyo.
>>
File: MP98.jpg (164 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
MP98.jpg
164 KB, 640x360
>>14607411
This would be a fun little game to remake on a modern system. The Dreamcast had Mercurius Pretty: End of the Century. Need to look into Rusty.
>>
>>14610393
>I feel it has the most "Touhou" feel out of all ZUN's music

I know what you are talking about, it's probably because his style of music was defined in that game, and also most of the songs have really heavy key changes. Is one of my favorite soundtracks too.
>>
>>14606450
Touhou 1 is still the best touhou game. Give me another arcanoid clone, ZUN.
>>
File: oz001.jpg (59 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
oz001.jpg
59 KB, 800x600
Some ancient fan art from Zun's old website.
>>
File: reimu pc98 injured_1.jpg (164 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
reimu pc98 injured_1.jpg
164 KB, 650x500
>>14613702

>Eternal Shrine Maiden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgcJC6tUlM&

>Blade of Banishment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gpFXrugeQ

>Now, Until the Moment you Die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCXD0II_As

>Swordsman of a Distant Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZnD1E2KgM

>Magic Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJRfI9YcL0o

HRtP had so many good songs, goddamn
>>
>>14613897
>no yugenmagan
>no shingyoku
shit desu
>>
>>14613897
Anyone else finds Magic Mirror and it's other version disturbing? Intro is menacing as fuck.
https://youtu.be/Tgxm1LXtP4Q
>>
>>14613789
I am realy feeling the nostalgia.
>>14613897
Eternal shrine maiden is so good but I love the whole list of songs. I also love the instrument growing up on the pg gameboy and sms.
>>
>>14606450
> I've been considering making remakes of them to match the modern games better but I'm too lazy ;3;

You might be aware there are actually a few remake teaser videos by JynX and a full release called Story of Eastern Wind by someone else that you can find but both take some/a lot of liberties, especially the latter.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.