[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here actually live in japan? What's it like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 0z10.png (64 KB, 415x280) Image search: [Google]
0z10.png
64 KB, 415x280
Does anyone here actually live in japan? What's it like over there these days? I heard the English teacher market collapsed. is that true?
>>
>>14591060
>Does anyone here actually live in japan?
No, it's all an elaborate prank.
Got you good, OP
>>
Sure, what do you want to know.
>>
I died there
>>
>>14591060
Yeah.
It's pretty nice; kinda cold.
It's fairly inundated but there's always room for more.
>>
i live in tokyo its cool
>>
I work in finance in Tokyo

It's ok, not really like anime though
>>
>>14592233
>falling for the meme
>>
>>14592236
Who are you quoting?
>>
I have been working in japan 18 months. I was recruited by a international company I didn't even try but I thought it was really cool at the moment but I got tired after the third month.
Still here because I can get a salary 3 almost 4 times higher than in my country for my job.
>>
>>14591060
>Does anyone here actually live in japan?
Yeah.
>What's it like over there these days?
It's Japan. Good food. Shitty banks. C89 was fun.
>I heard the English teacher market collapsed. is that true?
Not really. The turnover rate is so high that there are always openings. Plus they're really pushing toward getting kids learning earlier in elementary school, so getting an ALT job isn't hard at all.
>>
I've been lied to.

I always thought /jp/ was mostly a bunch of depressed NEETs locked away in their rooms.
But as it turns out, /jp/ is nothing but bankers and English teachers all living in Japland.
>>
>>14592464
It's really sickening. I keep asking how hard it is to live quietly in the countryside but nobody will answer because they're all in the city having a job and socializing.
>>
>>14594376
The people with the kind of motivation and social navigation skills to successfully pack up and go to Japan unfortunately don't coincide very well with the mainstream /jp/ tendency to shut yourself in and NEET all day.
>>
>>14592371
>Shitty banks
I'm curious now.
>>
>>14594376
You could always work from home on western programming/web design contracts

It would be very lonely though

>>14594390
I just forced myself through it till I got a job here now I'm back to isolating myself
>>
>>14594422
What's the cost of living like? Japan's generally considered to be expensive but with the way the Yen's been dropping it should be better than it was a couple years ago.
>>
>>14594390
You can't really be a NEET as a foreigner in Japan anyway. Unless you find a girl to marry who lets you lay around at home all day, but that really would require social skills.

About the best you can manage is being a teacher and shutting yourself in during the holidays.

>>14594469
I live next to the station in a well-populated suburb and it's far cheaper than living anywhere near a major city in the US. As long as you're okay with a small apartment, rent is very cheap and food is roughly the same. Owning a car is pretty expensive, but depending on where you live, you might be fine without one. I can live fairly comfortably on my teacher's salary.

People just assume Japan has a high cost of living because it's a densely populated country, but in my experience that's not the case at all.
>>
Are there any foreigners working in Japan who aren't English teachers? No wonder Japs are so xenophobic when not a single person who moves into their country has a proper job.
>>
>>14594529
Are you ALT? Is the salary good enough to save a bit on the side? what about pay off student loans?
>>
>>14594595
>Are you ALT?
Yes.
>Is the salary good enough to save a bit on the side?
As long as you're not retarded with money you can save a bit. You won't get rich as an ALT, though.
>what about pay off student loans?
I have student loans, so yes. I usually buy a couple of games/eroge a month, too.
>>
>>14594376
You'd need some kind of job to be able to stay in the country for an extended period of time (unless you are qualified for a working holiday visa).
The rest of it (live quietly in the countryside) is very nice.
>>
>>14594533
>Are there any foreigners working in Japan who aren't English teachers?
>not a single person who moves into their country has a proper job

That's because it's almost impossible to find any other job as a foreigner.
The only other alternatives are either an engineer or a programmer.
>>
>>14594771
I've heard of people getting bottom level factory jobs and stuff, but then you may as well go work in a sweatshop if you're going to do that.
>>
>>14594529
>>14594715
I generally hear you can get by on like ~150,000/month living frugally in an apartment in the city, but can you lower that by much by living somewhere ultra rural? My dream is to live quietly in bumfuck nowhere with internet and only commute to population centers for specific events, but I haven't been able to figure out if rural japan is actually cheaper or if it's one of those deals where the cost of remoteness meets or exceeds the savings from reduced population density.
>>
>>14594615
That's awesome - I want to be an ALT as well, I'm going to school for a field that really has no security so I was hoping to go to Japan to pay off some debt and save a bit and explore before coming back to Canada to start my true career.
>>
>>14594947
There's definitely a bit of a bell curve - go too rural and it takes delivery trucks hours to get out there so food prices are higher. Best bet is a small town with a lot of through traffic (usually all relegated to one main road), then you can get an apartment that is somewhat distanced from the hustle and bustle (of a few cars passing by every half hour).
>>
>>14594947
>I generally hear you can get by on like ~150,000/month living frugally in an apartment in the city
Depends heavily on what city exactly you're talking about, but that's about right for where I live.
>but can you lower that by much by living somewhere ultra rural?
Rent gets really cheap the further out you go. If you're in Bumfuck, Hokkaido, rent is probably next to nothing. You'll be paying more for transportation and stuff, though.
>>
>>14594469
The yen dropping just makes it more expensive to live if you're paid in yen... and no, salaries haven't risen to match.

That said, my monthly expenses are about 140,000 yen in Tokyo living fairly comfortably. I don't really have any friends and most of my entertainment is anime and manga so I hardly spend any money. Company pays for my transport. End up saving about 300,000 a month minus any purchases I make.
>>
>>14594771
>That's because it's almost impossible to find any other job as a foreigner.

It's not impossible you retard, but you're delusional if you're expecting much if you're not fluent in the local language or have serious experience

I know plenty of non-Japanese people in finance and Chinese people are pretty much everywhere (had a Chinese real estate agent before)
>>
File: DSC_0231.jpg (778 KB, 1125x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0231.jpg
778 KB, 1125x2000
>>14594419
Not him but japan can't into banks very well, they built a system that works "ok" for them internally but a fucking nightmare online or overseas.
That's why you still see mail orders or bank transfers when you're buying stuff internally from japan and the fact they use fucking cash everywhere.
They really need to get onto the visa/mastercard/etc system
>>
>>14595792
>Not him but japan can't into banks very well, they built a system that works "ok" for them internally but a fucking nightmare online or overseas.

I never had any problems with Shinsei or Mitsubishi's online banking. Shinsei doesn't offer any debit cards which sucks though. I have a visa debit card with Mitsubishi.
>>
>>14591449
I want to die there
>>
>>14592233
most of the anime I watch are of depressed overworked people trying to cope with their reality, are you saying it's actually way better then I thought?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.