[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get to play mahjong in real life? I want to gamble on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: mahjong parlor.jpg (38 KB, 480x310) Image search: [Google]
mahjong parlor.jpg
38 KB, 480x310
How do I get to play mahjong in real life?
I want to gamble on games, and experience suspense!
>>
Squire friends
>>
just watch akagi
it's basically the same thing
>>
Move to New York and you can find some old Jewish ladies to play with
>>
>>14564055
Why would old Jewish ladies play mahjong?
>>
>>14564055
They only play the pleb version, ie. American mahjong with stupid shit added in like "Charlestons."
>>
>>14564192
Mahjong was incredibly popular among American Jews about a generation ago. Now Florida and New York are full of old Jewish ladies doing nothing but play mahjong all day and wait to hear from their grandkids. They pioneered American Mahjong and would play it in the bungalow colonies up in the catskills/Borscht Belt before there was anything fun to do.

Garage sales in Florida and New York Jewish communities are a great place to find old ivory mahjong sets, by the way.
>>
>>14564216
True, my grandma loves it.
>>
>>14564198
It's your best option, unless you want to play online or your city has a Chinatown with people who'd be willing to teach a gwai lo how to play.
>>
>>14564055
New Jersey is also a good choice

My grandma was an old Jewish lady before she died and she loved playing mahjong at the senior center

I wish that I had learned how to play from her...are there any browser games or something that teaches you how to play?
>>
>>14563977
Where do you live?
>>
>>14564036
I want to be Akagi.
I've already watched the show 4 times over
>>
>>14564660
if you want to be akagi, you have to drive a car off a cliff first
>>
>>14564687
>>14564660
And get some rhinoplasty
>>
>>14563977
You can play at a parlor in Japan. That's probably the most direct and easiest way.
Otherwise teach some friends. A large group of friends.
>>
>>14564508
Are you kidding me there's literally a mahjong thread every fucking day
>>
>>14564508
First of all, realise that most folk itt are referring to American mahjong, which is totally different than the shit you see in your animu. You want "riichi" mahjong, or Japanese style.

Second, there's actually a very good mahjong community RIGHT HERE ON JP! Imagine that! Just search this board for mahjong and the current thread will pop up. It's pretty active too.

Third, if you want to learn to play, YouTube offers many guides. Try this 1 player phone app to practice. Be warned, you need to play humans or you'll develop some really bad habits. Still, a good way to learn the basics:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.bustercurry.virtualtenho_g

If you're in the socal are, I'll teach you in person

Good luck, and don't get discouraged!
>>
Go to China town.
>>
Oh man this really reminds me of the bad old days where middle-aged women playing, gossiping and drinking up to 4am and I have to go to my friend's place (his mom is also one of the mahjong clicque) just to catch some sleep in their sofa.
>>
That feel there are lot mahjong parlor here but they only use local rules and MCR.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.