[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use of ''boku''
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_n3357nNdwt1qd1q2so1_500.gif (1011 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3357nNdwt1qd1q2so1_500.gif
1011 KB, 500x281
Any people here with decent amount of knowledge of Japanese language to explain this?

So ''boku wa'' or just ''boku'' is what I'm wondering about.
You should only use ''boku'' if you are a male? Is there any rule to this? Should females stick to ''watashi wa''? Or, is it acceptable for female to use ''boku'', and if she does is she seen as edgy an hip or nobody will bother?
I am wondering if girly females in animes ever used ''boku''. I was sure they didn't, but I gotta check.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1431795832448.png (21 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
1431795832448.png
21 KB, 317x317
My waifu uses boku, and she likes girly things.
Why didnt you jsut give her the doll to being with K1!
>>
Ara yada. I'm a guy and don't understand why would anyone use boku desuwa.
>>
boku is a term that means I, me, for males
im not sure what would happen if a girl used boku

pic unrelated
>>
Boku is used by males if they want to sound feminine or relatively formal.
Boku is used by females if they want to sound a little bit masculine and/or strong.

But if you're a guy I'd suggest you stick to watashi (formal) or ore (informal).
>>
>>14519020
I heard a legend that the world collapses when woman uses boku
>>
boku is for fuccbois de gozaru
>>
Some girls use boku just because they think it's cute to speak in a weird way. It used to be the trope that tomboys used boku in anime, but now anyone who needs a verbal tic will use it.

What really confuses me is -kun though. How does -kun go from schoolboy to OL?
>>
>>14520683
san, chan, and kun are genderless. chan is diminutive, so it's cute to use it for girls and kids and animals. kun is not, so it's used for boys in school to not sound cutesy, and for employees in a business situation. Hence OLs will be kun,
>>
>>14519029
Don't listen to this.
>>14518980
Boku is used by men among equals and friends. Girls can use boku but it sounds a bit strange and very tomboyish or above everyone.

Watashi is the most common among workplaces since it refers to you very formally and neutrally. Girls can use atashi, which is the girly equivalent of boku. Ore is something you say when you don't give a shit about social status. Do correct me if I'm incorrect, for this is just my interpretation. If you are unsure which one to use you can always fall back to watashi
>>
>>14520683
San is preferable in workplaces as it refers respectfully to someone. Kun is used if you see someone as an independent person I guess. Don't know how to explain it
>>
You should try to avoid saying "I" and "you" as much as possible.
>>
I've always used boku, as I feel more comfortable using it. But I can't explain exactly. Boku is more submissive, it's typically used by betas. Watashi is more formal. But yeah, if you're with friends or in class, use boku (if you want), if you're in business, then use watashi.
>>
>>14521767
Instead of saying ''you'' you can use the persons name. Shun ha nani o shitaika for example
>>
Boku is the "boyish" version of Watashi.

Boku is not really used at all when speaking Japanese, it's more of a Manga/Anime thing.

It's often used for boyish characters to give them a more distinct personality.

So don't use "boku" unless you're going to make a manga or something like that.
>>
>>14521649
>Don't listen to this.
Why?

>Boku is used by men among equals and friends.
>Ore is something you say when you don't give a shit about social status
Bullshit. I very rarely hear men using "boku", unless you want to sound gay. Everyone uses "ore" between friends. Do you live in the 60s?
>>
>>14522330
Because boku does not imply that you are feminine. Ore is used between friends who doesn't give a shit about status when speaking to each other
>>
>>14522330
Just read up on boku and you seem to be partially right. I still stand to be corrected about ore though
>>
you're foreign so just use watashi everywhere possible, it's expected of you anyway
>>
>>14522360
In an informal situation, either feminine or child-like. Kids usually use boku.

But I also said relatively formal. If you're in a semi-formal situation it's fine (it sounds like a more relaxed version of watashi in this case), when having a relaxed conversation with a stranger; but among friends you'll most probably get smirked at. "jibun" is another option.

Watashi sounds very formal but it's the safest.

>I still stand to be corrected about ore though
Most Japanese use "ore" and "omae" between friends, especially young people, it's not as offensive as you think. Even girls use "omae", too. It's not a sign of disregard but a sign of trust. Of course you'll want to avoid it with strangers, though.

>Girls can use atashi, which is the girly equivalent of boku.
I rarely see real people using "atashi", except for girls who want to sound like anime characters or extremely cute with the intention of annoying everyone. Gyaru are a special case, I've heard some using both atashi and even ore.

Either way you're not completely wrong and Japanese people seem to mind less about these things nowadays.

But either way
>>14522374
/thread
>>
>>14522405
You seem to be more versed in daily Japanese conversation than me so I'll concede to your points. Good night and merry christmas
>>
>>14522405
When 2 use kimi?
>>
>>14522708
When talking to your boss.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.