[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do the Japanese have weird rules about fruits and vegetables?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
Do the Japanese have weird rules about fruits and vegetables?

About a week ago I was talking with my uncle and his family in Osaka and he told me that in Japan, Strawberries, Tomatoes and Pumpkins are considered Vegetables because they don't come from trees and said the "Japanese rule" is that if it comes from a tree, its a fruit, if it comes from the ground, its a vegetable. In fact they were shocked to hear that Tomatoes were fruits.

Are my relatives overseas just liars about this "Japanese rule"?
>>
It's probably an entirely different word, then.

The English word "vegetable" only really refers to parts of plants (and sometimes non-plant things) that are used as vegetables for the purposes of cuisine. So stuff like lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, whatever.
>>
"Japanese rule" is third-world bullshit
>>
>>14389381
Just because it's a fruit doesn't mean it's not a vegetable.
>>
>>14389354
It's true actually, historically at least.
http://www.maff.go.jp/hokuriku/kids/question/green03.html
>>
>>14389354
Bunch of retards
>>
>>14389354
I think it is a problem with terms and not how they eat it.

According to what you said they have a term for fruits that grow from trees and a term for other fruits but this doesn't means that they use tomatoes to decorate their christmas cake, it just means that it is a different classification.

Koreans on the other hand, they put tomatoes in the fruit salad.
>>
>>14389354
Fucking First World problems
>>
File: yuzu_2790767b.jpg (45 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
yuzu_2790767b.jpg
45 KB, 620x387
Can this be the yuzu thread?
I love yuzu. It's my favorite japanese fruit, it goes well with so many things!
>>
>>14397827
looks like testical
>>
>>14389354
Strawberries are vegetables though
>>
File: Suwako_and_Invitation_04.png (892 KB, 1566x2200) Image search: [Google]
Suwako_and_Invitation_04.png
892 KB, 1566x2200
>>14389354
So is this what they were poking fun at here?
>>
File: Suwako_and_Invitation_05.png (851 KB, 1419x2200) Image search: [Google]
Suwako_and_Invitation_05.png
851 KB, 1419x2200
>>14406294
>>
Most cultures and languages would have some sort of difference is classification, obviously. Global standards is a Jewish conspiracy to destroy culture anyway.
>>
>>14389354
I'm Japanese, but l've never heard of that kind of rule.
I know somepeople thinks watermelon is vegetable, but that's it.
>>
>>14397811
>other hand, they put tomatoes in the fruit salad.
So do murricans. Sliced up tomatoes, strawberries, and watermelon makes for a fucking excellent red salad.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.