[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Japanese eat dogs? Also Kanji Thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: Untitled.jpg (64 KB, 665x354) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
64 KB, 665x354
Do Japanese eat dogs? Also Kanji Thread.
>>
File: AMD.jpg (41 KB, 668x276) Image search: [Google]
AMD.jpg
41 KB, 668x276
>>
File: RIP.jpg (68 KB, 664x375) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
68 KB, 664x375
>>
>>14385199
>>14385219
>>14385236
>no readings
completely useless
>>
File: 3110.png (62 KB, 452x336) Image search: [Google]
3110.png
62 KB, 452x336
>>
Why are Heisig stories such shit?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uufl40PW5Pk
>>
How are any of these texts helpful in ricognizing kanji in any way?
>>
>>14385257
They could've at least put the oracle bones script and the clerical script somewhere in between instead of just making up an imaginary evolution chart.
>>
>嬲
my favorite
>>
File: 4520.png (213 KB, 474x409) Image search: [Google]
4520.png
213 KB, 474x409
>>14385298
It's not meant to be an evolutionary chart autistic faggot, but a way to relate the symbols to drawings for easy learning.
>>
>>14385316
Oh my god. Its just 男女男

Fucking hilarious
>>
File: L37371.gif (358 B, 66x85) Image search: [Google]
L37371.gif
358 B, 66x85
>>14385334
It's a way to explain to beginners how kanji evolved, either way, except it confuses them even more by making them think ancient Chinese ever drawed a realistic pine tree to represent a tree, when in fact the earliest representation of 木 is pic related. So, even as an oversemplified theory, it's completely wrong.
It's like a textbook showing the evolution of a platypus and putting a duck as the direct ancestor.
>>
>>14385316
>>14385349

FYI this is phono-semantic composite, the base kanji from which the pronounciation is borrowed is 娚
>>
I find that learning the actual etymologies for the characters is more helpful for me, especially within the context of the Chinese language.

>器
Personally I just assume it was originally used to mean a dog's bark but was repurposed like many other early characters.

>黒, aka 黑
Soot over a fire, easy. It even has the fire element. I like the traditional form 黑 because it doesn't carry the misleading phonetic element of 里.

>埋
Admittedly this one doesn't make much sense to me, but at least it has the semantic element 土. Maybe there's actually two of them and a 田.

Disclaimer: I am unhealthily obsessed with the Classical Chinese language which I discovered when I was learning the Japanese kanji and I've been studying it to the detriment of my ability in Japanese.
>>
>>14385384
It's not.
>>
>>14385334
Both the running and the cursive script actually originated before the regular script, as odd as it sounds; though if you consider it, that explains the stroke order inconsistencies of the former two scripts, as the stroke order only became fixed by the time of the 楷書. Also, this chart puts forth printed forms instead of actual handwritten examples of the regular script. Trash/10 desu
>>
>>14385199
The consumption of dog meat is not a feature of modern Japanese culture because Japanese people believe that certain dogs have special powers in their religion of Shintoism and Buddhism. Dog meat was consumed in Japan until 675 AD, when Emperor Temmu decreed a prohibition on its consumption during the 4th–9th months of the year. Normally a dog accompanied the emperor for battle, so it was believed that eating a dog gave emperors bad luck.[citation needed] In Japanese shrines certain animals are worshipped, such as dogs as it is believed they will give people a good luck charm.[citation needed] Animals are described as good luck in scrolls and Kakemono during the Kofun period, Asuka period and Nara period.[89] According to Meisan Shojiki Ōrai (名産諸色往来) published in 1760, the meat of wild dog was sold along with boar, deer, fox, wolf, bear, raccoon dog, otter, weasel and cat in some regions of Edo.[90] Ōta Nampo recorded witnessing puppies being eaten in Satsuma Province in a dish called Enokoro Meshi (えのころ飯). In 2008, Japan imported 5 tons of dog meat from China compared to 4,714 tons of beef, 14,340 tons of pork and 115,882 tons of poultry.[91]
>>
>>14385577
>[citation needed]
>>
>>14385273
Because they're sample stories written for a someone from a certain background who was alive in 1977. If you're American, you should have realized this after 砕 (and went back to create your own stories).
>>
File: dong.png (5 KB, 760x128) Image search: [Google]
dong.png
5 KB, 760x128
FEATURE LENGTH
>>
>>14385316
I personally prefer 嫐る
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.