[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm listening some Japanese audio courses made by different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 32877-500x500.jpg (88 KB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
32877-500x500.jpg
88 KB, 500x391
So I'm listening some Japanese audio courses made by different companies and they provide slightly different translations to the same sentence:

>I'm going to Japan.
>Nihon ni ikimasu.
>Nihon e ikimasu.

Can anyone explain this to me? What's the difference between the 2? Which one is more common?
>>
>>14340709
I forgot へ was even used that way, so I'm guessing に is more common.
>>
に shows that the place is your destination, へ just implies that you're going TOWARDS that place

>Nihon ni ikimasu.
I'm going to Japan
>Nihon e ikimasu.
I'm going towards Japan
>>
Audio courses? Really? Are you literally trying to learn while driving? Because I can think of no other situation in which using that garbage even remotely makes sense.
>>
>>14340847
thanks

>>14340891
Yes, when I'm driving to work and when I go running. What's wrong with audio courses?
>>
>>14341192
The problem is that for spoken language, there really is no replacement for speaking with another human being. Never learned spoken Japanese, but that is true for when I learned Spanish, Mandarin, and a semester of Russian (aka nothing).

For written Japanese, I don't think I need to explain why this won't be very helpful.

>But I have no one to speak with
This is what makes Japanese truly difficult for Hikkis. If you are forced to speak it 24/7, suddenly the challenge of building vocabulary, grammar, and explaining yourself with your limited resources becomes unavoidable.
>>
>>14341192
What's wrong is that you're driving to work and/or going running.
>>
>>14341228
Not him, but I would love to be forced to speak it 24/7, unfortunately that just simply isn't possible.
>>
If I say [something] itadakimashita.

Does that mean, I've been allowed to do [something] or I've allowed myself to do [something]?
>>
>>14341451
Uh, that kind of depends on what the [something] is......
>>
>>14341451
Actually, the full sentence is,
[something] ni sasete itadakimashita

if it makes any difference.

>>14341457
Using someone's drawing as a reference.

But I'm not sure if it's "I've been allowed to" or "I let myself".
>>
>>14341473
Usually it'd be the latter.
>>
>>14341242
Take a vacation to Japan. If you go to Tokyo you can go for a week for around 2k, less for areas outside. Enjoy only speaking Japanese or using a translate app most of the time.
>>
>>14341228
There's never replacement for talking with another human being but mimicking everything you hear is a workable stop-gaps.
>>
What does ガチ mean if it's put in front of a word?
Like ガチ[something]?

>>14342249
>you can go for a week for around 2k

Never happening.
>>
>>14342272
all you're going to learn from this is how to sound like a fictional high school girl
>>
>>14342393
Funny you say that, because Japanese in real life actually do act/speak/react a lot like the characters in anime or those cheap drama tv shows.
>>
The first thing you need to do is stop with the romaji, that stuff is very irritating to see. Nothing wrong with audio learning tapes, don't listen to that other guy.
>>
>>14342388

Why?
>>
>>14340709
Good luck reading anything 馬鹿
But shit if you're gonna use audio stuff, atleast listen to something like japanesepod101, something not so goddamn robotic.
>>
>>14342407
Audio tapes are okay as a very basic supplement to proper learning methods, but they're not going to get you far. You need to be reading and listening to native materials, practicing writing, etc.
>>
>>14342388
ガチ often means "earnest",
and in addiction have nuance "sincerely evaluation"
>>
チングチョングリングロング
>>
Does anyone here know Japanese well enough to properly do the high-low pitch thing when speaking?
>>
>>14340709
ni is like saying i'm going TO japan
e is like saying, i'm going toward japan / i'm going in the direction of japan.
>>
>>14342883
lol, no. I'm doing well if I can string together a sentence that roughly means what I want to say. It's rare for the pitch accents to actually matter anyway. You just sound like a foreigner if you get them wrong.
>>
>>14342883
I just do a catgirl voice all of the time, takes care of the pitch since it's basically like a valleygirl accent
The locals get a kick out of it since I'm a guy
>>
>>14342388
>What does ガチ mean if it's put in front of a word?
>Like ガチ[something]?

My girl told me ガチ is slang for the word "seriously" so it can be used like まじで
>>
>>14342249
>If you go to Tokyo you can go for a week for around 2k, less for areas outside

I've been working for 5 years, eating ramen everyday and pirating all my media, and using a computer which is 8 years old, steal internet from my neighbors, and I have saved ~$3,500 in the bank.

I was worried that it would cost more than $800. Holy fuck I feel miserable now.
>>
>>14346419
The flight alone, roundtrip will be around 1.2k. You can always stay in a capsule or game cafe instead of a proper hotel.
>>
>>14346419
I've been to Japan a few times

Flight £600
Apartment / hotel £450 to £900 (30 days)

Hotels are more expensive, capsule hotels are not cheap. Try get an apartment they work out cheaper and you can bring back a qt
>>
>>14342249
I would add to that that even if you do go to Japan, you'll still have to seek out conversations yourself. Japan is a very convenient place (at least in the big cities), so you can easily stay there for a while and only ever be spoken to by the hotel staff during check-in and out, sales clerks and escalators (remember to stay within the yellow lines, kids!)
>>
>>14346592
Lmao at those hotel prices, where the fuck were you staying, the boonies?
Two weeks in an acceptable hotel alone is already around 1.2k USD and flying from the US is going to run around 1.4k USD and that's for a long ass flight wih connections if you are flying from the more civilized east coast.

>>14348907
Same situation wherever you, but it's easy to chat up Japanese, as long as you have patience and are nice. Go to bars or chat up service workers.
>>
File: 1441081907812.jpg (82 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1441081907812.jpg
82 KB, 960x720
>>14346419
Book your flight a year early or just pack your stuff and wait on the airport for a cheap last minute seat to Japan.
Once there rent a car to save yourself all the travelling and hotel costs.
Food can be really cheap.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 567x685) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 567x685
日本へいきます。日本にいきます。and i'm going to japan. all means the same. e and ni also means towards sometimes depending on contex.

ガチ usually doesnt mean anything. ガチで gachi de means are you serious? 2. seriously speaking.

im japanese, so its truth.
good luck!
>>
>>14348926
>rent a car

Don't do this. Traveling via train is cheaper, more efficient, and you don't have to bother with finding a parking space
>>
>>14348995
But you can't spend the night in a train.
>>
>>14348916
As long as it's not entirely at the fringe of the city all you really need is a hotel near a subway station with a good connection. No reason to stay right smack in the middle of Marunouchi or something.
>>
>>14348926
>just pack your stuff and wait on the airport for a cheap last minute seat to Japan.

And what are you going to do about the return ticket?
They won't even let you in if you don't have one.
>>
>>14349023
You can spend the night at McDonald's
>>
What about those manga cafes?

How much would it cost to spend a week or two there?
>>
>>14348916
Tokyo and Osaka. How about you do some research on weekly mansions / apartments and shut the fuck up.

Example - $475 per month with internet and TV
http://www.chintai.net/detail/bk-C010041120000000000116130001/

As for flight prices from the USA, well I can't really comment on that because I'm from the UK.

If its a short term stay at an apartment there will be no key money. Just a cleaning fee and possibly a deposit which will be returned after you leave. If its a weekly mansion then its even cheaper, in my experience they require nothing but the first month or weeks rent upfront. (TV, and portable wifi included in rent price)

Two weeks for $1.2k? Get fucked. Where did you stay the Hilton?! I never even paid close to that in Tokyo or Osaka.

>>14346419
if you wanna do it - go for it mate.

There are plenty of companies that will set you up with an apartment for a week or two, if you don't speak Japanese there are companies set up just for helping tourists (did-gloal) they will handle everything for you.

Pay deposit online, get off plane, go to office, sign contact and move in same day. Just google it
>>
>>14349986
Hilton is like at least 2.2k you fucking poor son of a bitch. Hurr durr Im a britbong and don't have standards. Get fucked, faggot.
>>
>>14350013
You're on holiday, you're not even in your room for most of the day. What more could you possibly need than a room that:
* Is clean
* Has a place to sleep
* Has a place to wash yourself
* Has a passable internet connection
>>
File: IRL ざわ・・・.jpg (162 KB, 848x530) Image search: [Google]
IRL ざわ・・・.jpg
162 KB, 848x530
>>14342393
Seiyuu speak actually better Japanese than regular Japanese people because they have to time their lines to the footage and make absolutely no mistakes with their pronounciation (excluding comical purposes). Even on web radios where they can be more relaxed, most of them talk much more clearly than people who aren't professionals in using their voice.

Watching variety shows is probably the best way to practice listening since you can hear all sorts of comedians / musicians / idols / random celebrities /educated experts / normalfags from different regions and backgrounds, ranging from people who do narration / random anime roles as their side jobs and people who pronouce things so badly they get their own episode on Ametalk (picture not related, it was FKMT works episode).
>>
>>14348964
>im japanese, so its truth.

Real Japanese or white Japanese?
>>
What are some good audio resources? Would be cool to listen to while running.
>>
>>14356748
http://www.japaneseaudiolessons.com/
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.