[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into shinto?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: 1426793088571.jpg (183 KB, 825x1200) Image search: [Google]
1426793088571.jpg
183 KB, 825x1200
Ok /jp/ I have ooks on Zen Buddhism, but we all know Shinto is the most traditional/dominant Japanese religion. How do I learn about this religion?
Buddhism had books, teachers, etc. Whats a good starting point for Shinto, all I know is their emporer was seen as God (until WW2 ended) and that there are a fuck ton of gods in Shinto.
>>
Get lessons from Reimu in exchange for sex.
>>
It's a meme religion.

That's all you need to know.
>>
>>14338672
>It's a meme religion.
Thats atheism.
>>
File: 1447052935032.jpg (383 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
1447052935032.jpg
383 KB, 3000x1688
>>14338654
just beeleev in uur self anon
>>
>>14338678
Atheism isn't a religion.
>>
>>14338654
You cant, you're not Japanese. its an ethnoreligion tied to the land of japan, you cant even practice it outisde of Japan. You dont have japanese ancestors so you cant practice it even if you did move to Japan.

It really is something to envy, I wish westeners had an ethnoreligion like it.
>>
>>14338683
>Has a belief relating to issues like life after death
>Cant prove their views, making them just as valid as those who believe in gods/spirits but cant prove them
>Identify themselves with their religious views, even with shitty bumper stickers
>Attend talks about their religious views (Yes, ahteists gather to discuss atheism, as retarded as that sounds)
>Do retarded things in the name of their religious views, e.g wearing a pasta strainer for a passport photo
>Annoyingly preachy like evangelicals
>Smug sense of superiority over the unenlightened masses who arent part of your group

Atheism is pretty much a religion at this point.

>>14338686
>It really is something to envy, I wish westeners had an ethnoreligion like it.
Paganism?
Or that other one which was nationalistic until hijacked by hipsters. Astartu or something. It was all about kin and stuff, but then they let it black people and other non whites with no relation whatsoever to the groups, and said they can be your kin.
You cant take it seriously the moment a religious group retcons something just becuase it becomes inconvenient.
>>
>>14338686
>I wish westeners had an ethnoreligion like it.
It's called Judaism
>>14338742
Western (and Indo-European) paganism has never been ethnocentric, since it isn't even a "real" religion to begin with. I don't know much about Shinto, but I guess it wouldn't be that different (i.e. faith is a completely unknown concept)
>>
>>14338742
a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
noun: atheism
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
synonyms: irreligion

I rest my case.
>>
>>14338864
Oh please. By that logic antifa arent fascists, because while they use violence to intimidate, censor, etc. They say they are against fascism, sothey cant be fascist.

Atheists can define atheism however the fuck they want. It's still no different to the religious groups they look down on.
>>
>>14338907
Not all authoritarianism is fascist, what the fuck are you on?
>>
File: 1411470708719.png (33 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
1411470708719.png
33 KB, 650x700
>>14338654
What's your genetic background? You can still honor your ancestors and such with something closer to home.

>>14338864
There are no atheists in foxholes.
>>
File: byakuren.jpg (359 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
byakuren.jpg
359 KB, 500x494
>>14338654
Just stick to Buddhism!
>>
>>14338928
Hi mom!
>>
Read this book:

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL107119W/Shinto_%28the_way_of_the_gods%29

Has tons of background info on Shinto, as it how it was originally and how it became what it is today (or, almost today, as the book was written like 100 years ago). Stuff that Japanese people don't even know but that makes sense once you read it.
>>
File: 1391281506791.jpg (58 KB, 591x672) Image search: [Google]
1391281506791.jpg
58 KB, 591x672
>>14338928
No.
if you want to get the most out of Jap media, you need to understand their culture, and Shinto being native and old as fuck. Was a huge influence, Buddhism isnt enough.

Also I enjoy learning about new religions (Aside from Islam, Judaism, and Mormons), it's a fun hobby. If 2hu ever goes Hindu I will probably be reading up on their monkey gods. (Allthough mayb I should look into Hinduism to flesh out Buddhism, since Buddhism came from India)

>>14338982
Thanks anon.
>>
File: howhardisittokilllolis.jpg (30 KB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
howhardisittokilllolis.jpg
30 KB, 640x266
WHILE THESE MORONS ARE SINGING "WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN SHINTO".

WE ARE BRINGING THE PAIN!
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>14338654
I would start with reading shii's book if you haven't already, I bought it just because it's shii but turned out interesting anyway. It gives you background info background info if your unfamiliar with shinto. After that start reading the kojiki or the nihon shoki.
>>
>>14338686
This isn't true.

>>14338654
You have to learn from someone who is knowledgeable on it. It's tied into everything they do in Japan. Shinto is like a way of life for them, similar to Abrahamic religions in the West. The reason people think "you have to be Japanese" to practice is because it's not as simple as worshiping the gods or reading text. It's a way of perceiving the world and structuring moral choices. Just like the West's laws have been defined through Christianity so were the Japan's by Shinto.
>>
>>14338742
>wearing a pasta strainer for a passport photo
The fuck?
>>
Have a kid with a japanese woman and live vicariously through them.
>>
>>14338742
Hey TJ! :^)
>>
>>14339419
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/07/15/137824732/austrian-man-wins-right-to-wear-pasta-strainer-in-license-photo

An atheist decided to do this with his time, instead of just going about life ignoring religion.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x194
>>14340475
Kek
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 252x166) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 252x166
>>14342568
>>
>>14338686
You're almost right

Although jay might hate it, Christianity is effectively a European/Near-Eastern Ethnoreligion

Alot of Christianity has molded with local, small 'pagan' traditions, becoming syncretic. This isn't obvious is you are an Ameri-kun, but in Europeland, especially amongst the Slavs, this system of dual-beliefs is common.

Most Neo-Pagans are outright rejecting the little that remains of the old European faiths.
>>
>>14338654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVKiBMAK4o
All you need to know about Buddhism desu senpai
>>
>>14342596
>Most Neo-Pagans are outright rejecting the little that remains of the old European faiths.
How so?

Neo Pagans are failures though. I dont need to argue this, becuase Evola already did a great job.

http://www.amerika.org/texts/against-the-neo-pagans-julius-evola/

>In order to promote and glorify the new faith, the apologists had the bad habit of elevating themselves through the denigration of other faiths. There was often a conscious and often systematic disparagement and misrepresentation of almost all the earlier traditions, doctrines, and religions, which were grouped under the contemptuous blanket-term of paganism or heathendom. To this end, the apologists obviously made a premeditated effort to highlight those aspects of the pre-Christian religions and traditions that lacked any normal or primordial character, but were clearly forms that had fallen into decay. Such a polemical procedure lead, in particular, to the characterization of whatever had preceded Christendom, and was hence non-Christian, as necessarily anti-Christian.
>Once we are clear about this, we come today to a paradoxical realization: that this imaginary paganism that never existed, but was invented by Christian apologists, is now serving as the starting-point for certain so-called pagan circles, and is thus threatening for the first time in history to become a reality–no more and no less than that.
>>
>>14338654
Not even Japanese know much about Shinto, most confuse its practices with Buddhism and vice-versa. At it's core is just a bunch of ancient traditions, myths and rituals spiced with Chinese symbolism, so it's more a cultural thing than an actual religion.
>>
>>14342621
I am really starting to hate black people.
Stealing bikes was one thing, but stealing history and cultures is just fucked up. I get they are salty they ahve no achievements, I'm fucking Welsh and we never achieved anything. But you dont go robbing other peoples cultures, and pretending you made it all.

Buddha was from Nepal iirc. So he would look like your regular asian with some slight Indian features. God I hate black people, it's always blacks trying to rob other peoples history.
>>
>>14340475
>>14342568
>>14342573
He's not an atheist. It's still religion even if you're being ironic.
>>
>>14342679
>Jesus was white
>>
>>14342751
He was semitic
>>
>>14342751
I assumed that was more to do with not wanting your god figure looking like the arabs you are fighting.

Jesus wasnt white. Allthough if he had Roman blood he may be, dont know. but I bet he looks more like your average Palestinian.
>>
>>14342751
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>14342634
>How so?
As Neo-Pagan faith is largely intertwined with the 'veneratation' of nature, they ignoring the transce-

oh wait, you've posted Evola, you already know
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.