[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything more thrilling that the Russo-Japanese war?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
Imagine, some seemingly omnipotent European imperial power getting crushed at sea by the Japanese Navy and entering a national crisis as a result. It's perhaps the single finest moment in all of Japan's history.
>>
Modern Japan couldn't do anything like that.

We can say that they were nationally castrated after WW2.
>>
>omnipotent European imperial power
Rusia is big but nothing else
>>
>>14287898
It was impressive that Japan was able to modernize so quickly and to the point that it could take on a country like Russia, but at the same time Russia was at a serious low point and the whole war was marked by serious incompetency on the side of Russia.
>>
>>14287981

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-most-powerful-militaries-in-the-world-2014-4

>Japan spends $49.1 billion on defense, the sixth most in the world.

>Japan's military is fairly well-equipped. It currently has 247,000 active personnel with an additional 57,900 in reserve. Japan also has 1,595 aircraft, the world's fifth largest air force, and 131 ships.
>>
File: Sakhalin_(detail).png (130 KB, 517x482) Image search: [Google]
Sakhalin_(detail).png
130 KB, 517x482
>Sakhalin has been claimed by both Russia and Japan over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries. This has led to bitter disputes between the two countries over control of the island. Russia seized the island from the Japanese near the end of World War II.

Japan's single finest moment is a war they lost apparently.
>>
one word
>>
File: jacobschiff.jpg (31 KB, 300x417) Image search: [Google]
jacobschiff.jpg
31 KB, 300x417
You are now aware that Japan was only able to win that war thanks to generous loans from Zionist Jewish banker
>>
>>14290397
With Jews, you win!
>>
>>14290401
Not really, the war still bankrupted Japan and they were not able to decisively defeat the Russian army in Manchuria, so they couldn't extract an indemnity from them to pay off their war debts, they also had to give back the northern half of Sakhalin they conquered.
>>
File: 1421311323375.jpg (416 KB, 1807x1384) Image search: [Google]
1421311323375.jpg
416 KB, 1807x1384
>>14287898
>seemingly omnipotent European imperial power
>impotent admiralty
You're missing the best part.
>>
>>14287981
Except that they totally could on sea. Their navy is, not just in numbers but also technology wise very impressive.
Japan also has a pretty decent air force, the F-2 is one of the most modern planes in the world and probably the most modern F-16.
Generally speaking, Russia would have to invade an island which is guarded by a great navy and capable air force. Not to mention that Japan is essentially made for defensive action.

The US would support Japan anyways so air superiority will always be on Japan's/America's side.
>>
>>14290455
Russia has more worthwhile targets these days in Europe and Western Asia than dealing with Japan from whom they wouldn't get shit even if they attacked and won.

A better contemporary comparison would be a hypothetical fight with China. Even then they would likely have no opportunity to distinguish themselves at all as the States would do all the heavy lifting while they patrol for subs off Kyushu.
>>
God damn I hope m00k puts up that history board everyone's been asking for, this shit is great
>>
>>14290503
I'm not saying they would attack. Of course they wouldn't because they know they can't win with the US in the back.

I doubt China and Russia are going to fight each other either though. Sure, they're allies because it's currently convenient for them but China has the money that Russia needs.

They'll just strike deals with another. China has been trying to get some proper engines for the J-31 and J-20 for some time. China is just too important for both the US and Russia, not to mention the global economy.

This is quickly gliding into major off topic though.
>>
>>14290555
>>14290503
Oh wait you meant China and Japan. Sorry, guess I was rather confused there.
Anyways, the scenario is kind of similar actually. I doubt China would bother with Japan. Fucking even more with American patience isn't going to to happen I think and the US will never ever give up Japan.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFfiNM2o-BM
>>
>>14287898
Didnt the fight last only 30minutes after months at sea?
>>
>>14287898
Didn't commies just say something like: "eh, we're not in the mood to fight so here we'll gift you this small island or some shit and you can fuck off"
And the prime minister was just like : 'k, I guess we'll call back the samurais, apparently cutting guns with katanas doesn't actually work"

I think I remember something silly like that from a history class.
>>
I like russo-japanese war where the newly modernised nips were able to fight toe to toe with russia granted that the ruskies were absolutely incompetent.

Land battles over manchuria and naval battles around it
>>
why would you sail your ships 18000 miles away to try and get to the one friendly port in the Pacific that is also past Japan meaning you would have to pray they just don't notice you sailing past them to get there.
>>
>>14293083
Because Russia.
>>
>>14288133
They also have zero experience. Technology and money are great but you need soldiers who know how to use them.
>>
>>14293207
I assume that part of that money goes towards training
>>
>>14293239
You can't buy experience. They haven't seen proper combat in decades. With America lifting all the weights they're left to wither.
>>
>>14293804
That's different from simply knowing how to use your technology. Who are they going to fight that also has recent combat experience? At the very least they'll know how to use their fancy new gear even if it's not in a real situation. America hasn't fought a real war in a long time either, it's all been these guerrilla type wars.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.