[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NYC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12
File: sad pepe.jpg (88 KB, 900x877) Image search: [Google]
sad pepe.jpg
88 KB, 900x877
>I'm not in New York City right now
>>
File: kfk.jpg (17 KB, 207x291) Image search: [Google]
kfk.jpg
17 KB, 207x291
>mfw me neither
>>
>>58843354
it's okay, there aren't any americans living there anymore either.

it's mostly Kuwaiti billionaires and Russian oligarchs. there the only ones who can afford it.
>>
>>58843374
*they're
>>
>>58843354
Sucks for you bud haha this is the greatest city in the fuckin' world
>>
File: breakfast at tiffanys.jpg (46 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
breakfast at tiffanys.jpg
46 KB, 500x280
I kind of hate Hollywood for romanticizing that damn city so much for me
>>
the City of New York has become a funny game where millions of rich people all try to flee to the outer boroughs in a contest to see who can prove that they are not as rich as they really are.
>>
>>58843354
What is in NYC that you want to be there so badly?
>>
>>58843451
lots of places in America that are "famous" really start to get dull, and lose their effect when you see them, since they're in so many movies/so common in pop culture. When you finally see them in person the impact is not so great.

one place that has never happened me with is Times Square. i've traveled to NYC probably 50 times or so, and Times Square always amazes me, no matter. most new yorkers would probably laugh at me for this.
>>
>>58843548
For me it's the Grand Canyon
>>
File: taxi driver.jpg (166 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
taxi driver.jpg
166 KB, 1500x1120
>>58843498

I don't know mate. Just the feeling of being in "the center of the world". Where "everything" is happening around you. Not in some shitty backwater in the third world,

I know I might be falling hard for the memes, but I'll be damn if that isn't the finest place on earth.
>>
>>58843622

This reminds me of people romanticizing LA...It's a real shithole, but I hear alot of 'o I want to be in this scummy city like a Noir'
>>
>>58843354
You are not missing anything the streets are lined with piss you can't take five steps with out being gang banged by advertisements every one is an asshole and everything is overpriced.
>>
File: look up.jpg (86 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
look up.jpg
86 KB, 600x399
>>58843548
I've been there 3 times every time I cannot help but to look up to the high rises like and idiot.

I always dread going back home after being there.
>>
>>58843622

being in the center of the world means 90+ minute commutes and being around shitskins (re: you)

stay where you are
>>
>>58843803

>I always dread going back home after being there.

why not just shit out an anchor baby then, you could be living the life you've always dreamed of as a janitor in some skyscraper right now
>>
>>58843862
>>58843827
i'm sorry you had to see this int
>>
>>58843803
the same thing happens to me. I grew up outside Boston, which isn't a tiny city at all, but new york always gives me feels.

Isn't it weird how being completely surrounded by people and huge concrete buildings somehow makes you feel safe and cozy?
>>
>>58843803

You should always look up...no one ever looks up in a city....It's like if a plane flew into a building no one would ever notice.
>>
>>58843622
I live in NYC, it sucks here.
>>
File: gfs_62773_2_17.jpg (91 KB, 1000x583) Image search: [Google]
gfs_62773_2_17.jpg
91 KB, 1000x583
>you will never ride the NYC subway with your martial arts bro to rescue a qt, smashing countless scum
why even live ;_;
>>
>>58843622
You may be on one side of the spectrum. NYC is the other side. It's better in the middle. It's a fun place to visit, I'll give you that, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. Maybe upstate NY some place nice.
>>
>>58844118
what part
>>
File: ellis island.jpg (58 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
ellis island.jpg
58 KB, 624x352
>>58843732

Meh ... I don't think there is anything that much interesting about LA if you are into a celebrities/movies.

New York is different.

New York is art. New York is Broadway. New York is Julliard. But also bummed artists trying to make it.
New York is money and power. New York is Wall Street and Law Buffets. New York is Park Avenue, and the old and new money coming together. .
New York is history. New York is Ellis Island and the immigrants looking for a better life. New York is Little Italy and the Godfather and the Jews in LES.
New York is Jazz at Harlem in the 1930s, Salsa in the Bronx in the 70s and Hip-hop R&B in the 90s.
>>
>>58844322
i've been to NYC a lot, and also lived in Washington DC for awhile. one thing that NYC is certainly not is a political center. NYC is a major place for the arts and finance, but the average New Yorker is completely stupid about politics. DC is worse / has far less than NYC for almost everything else, but the average DC person is very intelligent and (understandably) very informed politically. You get the same sense of "living where important things are happening" there, as well.

but in a way, that's true about everywhere. Bogota is probably the center of the world for everything Colombian, who is to say that NYC or DC are qualitatively better, just because they have more stuff
>>
File: leon.jpg (246 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
leon.jpg
246 KB, 600x398
>>58843862
Man I really want to immigrate, but I want to do it right.

I think illegal immigration is bullshit. How can you possibly integrate into a society when literally the first thing you did after arriving there is disregard their laws?
>>
ny is a bunch of overachievers trying to compete with each other
ie a bunch of girls and girly men
>>
>>58844490
i can't really blame people, US immigration policy is horribly broken
>>
File: ouatia.jpg (51 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
ouatia.jpg
51 KB, 800x451
>>58844474
That's not necessarily a bad thing. And that's a very American thing indeed.

You see in most of the world the capital of the country/state is usually to also be the most important/largest city. But this is not the case in America.

In fact I would argue that Americans DON'T want to have the government anywhere near them.

I actually have a funny story about this. Last year I was doing a road trip to NJ, I was visiting Princeton I was on my way west. I saw on the map that the capital of NJ was on the way so I thought I might stop and check the place. I mean being the capital I reckoned it must be an interesting place.

Needless to say, there wasn't much to see in Trenton.
>>
File: wows.jpg (64 KB, 970x400) Image search: [Google]
wows.jpg
64 KB, 970x400
>>58844617
I'm hoping to get accepted in a PhD program and hopefully get recruited by and employer after I finish.
>>
I'm going to go to nyc in about 2 hours for work. Hello friends :)
>>
>>58844903
yeah, most state capitals in the US are completely pointless
>>
>>58844903
Man that was perfectly incoherent. I really must get some sleep.
>>
File: zyzz.png (122 KB, 184x231) Image search: [Google]
zyzz.png
122 KB, 184x231
I live near NYC (Stony Brook, NY) on Long Island
>>
>>58843374

You're forgetting the college kids lad
>>
>>58843374
this is probably the dumbest post I've ever read
>>
File: hmmmcat.png (29 KB, 1099x741) Image search: [Google]
hmmmcat.png
29 KB, 1099x741
>>58845639
>>
>>58845733
i live in Manhattan. plenty of Americans here.
>>
>>58845762
lol what part of manhattan
>>
>>58845813
Yorkville
>>
>>58845844
Sweet, I live on Carnegie Hill
>>
>>58845888
Lol nice

You're kinda right tho I guess, both of my parents came here from the USSR and made their money in the US so idk, we're kinda foreigners
>>
>>58845967
>>58845888 is a different guy, I've never lived in NYC (though have visited very often).

But you have to admit, upper east side is some of the most obscenely expensive real estate on the planet, and while I was exaggerating, you know there are tons of rich oil magnates who live in those penthouses...
>>
>>58846189
yes but by far it's Americans
>>
Tell us about Detroit. On the Google street view, he looks good.
>>
>>58846230
Downtown is fine, surrounding areas still within Detroit proper are shit, outside the city you have some of the wealthiest places in the US (Grosse Point, Bloomfield Hills, etc.)
>>
>>58846296
it's Grosse Pointe
>>
>>58846296
There is work to be enough to buy food and clothes? Moruo to live in an abandoned house? In the winter months as snow?
>>
>>58846412
Ford, GM and Chrysler are all still HQd in Detroit, there's plenty of other industry and finance stuff too

There are some extremely shitty parts of Detroit but it's not like the city is some complete wasteland, just most of the civilization is found in the suburbs and the downtown (which is the case for many big US cities)

and poor people get welfare
>>
I live in inner sydney, in redfern, and lemme tell ya man the city life gets old real fast, jack of it right now desu

but if i moved to the suburbs (like obviously somewhere good not guildford or some shit place out west), or to the country i'd almost certaintly be bored

ha ha humanity
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.