[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coloring books for adults, why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x342
Coloring books for adults, why?
>>
>>2522247
I gave in and bought one some time ago. I just couldn't resist, they're everywhere. Turns out that using it feels about as productive as playing a silly mobile game, except that the game is more fun and more relaxing.
Here's a non-artist experience: my grandma colored one or two pictures and then decided she prefers crosswords, because she learns stuff and they're more engaging, and she can compare her progress with friends. On the other hand, my mum does some kitsch decoupage things and she enjoys coloring too, no idea why though. She's not very intelligent, maybe that's the reason.
>>
>>2522247
basically this:

>>2522251

It lets people who arent' super bright put in minimum effort to get something pretty neat at the end and they feel accomplished. It's like someone who uses DAZ Poser or something similar where you combine pre-sets and says "look what I made!", not understanding 95% of the real effort of their end result was done by the person who learned how to and made the presets. People who use these coloring books can't draw for themselves and after they finish coloring, they feel like it's 'theirs'. It gives them creative gratification.
>>
>>2522252
Yeah, I agree.

Also, another thing just came to my mind. There are many people who like the idea of having nice art supplies but have no way of using them because even copying pictures is too difficult and requires some training. With coloring books people like that finally have an excuse to spend money on fancy rainbow fineliners or coloring pencils.
>>
Not necessarily, guys, some use them for healing, stop hating on everything.
>>
>>2522311
healing? lmao
they should just use something that actually works like homeophaty for example
>>
It's mostly just a relaxing thing to do. Some people use it as a mindful meditation type thing in which they can focus on a single task (think of colouring instead of breathing).

My mom is really big on it and even orders special pencils online and special lamps and things. She's fairly intelligent and still enjoys them so I don't think it's just for dumb people like some anons are saying. She knows it's not the most creative thing but it still allows some freedom like choosing colours and such but without any stress of drawing something from scratch or worrying too much what the result will be. At the end of a session she has something concrete that she can look upon and see she completed, so in that sense it is a better hobby than just watching a tv show or something.
>>
>>2522247
>tfw I can publish hentai coloring books and make $$$ of of horny weebs

Why the FUCK is nobody here doing this? Guess I have yet another cash funnel to exploit.
>>
>>2522247

u kno I could probably learn a thing or two about rendering if I actually tried to shade this, with different skin tones and subsurface scattering and stuff. maybe the lines would even act as a guideline or something. but fuck it, I'd rather just do still lifes and normal stuff.

>>2522311

lmao, maybe they should do something that actually works, like fucking each other in the ass
>>
>>2522339
Not if I do it first, thanks anon.
>>
My mom is of average intelligence and she does not engage in this activity.
>>
Here's the thing I don't get- those books are hard as fucking shit to color in, the spaces are tiny, the motives suck. As someone who does regular commissions and actually draws, to warm up I prefer coloring books for little kids. I'm being serious, the fun shapes and big spaces are way more relaxing to fill in.
There's also a bunch of kid draw + activity books that are fun and help trough artist block. Pic related, a very nice one which I wish would have existed when I was that age
>>
>>2522491
That's the thing, original "adult" coloring books were mandalas, mosaics, patterns and funny compositions because those actually let you relax and focus on your coloring rather than be distracted by bad design.

OP is more likely from a faggot who had the same idea as >>2522339 and it's not even designed for coloring in. Look at all that lacy shit, ill defined textures and thight overlapping lines, that wouldn't look good if you colored in digitally with the aid of multiply and 3 million colors. Do you think it's gonna look even ok with simple coloring pencils?
>>
>>2522252
do you mean setting the presets in daz and then just posting a picture of the 3d object in daz or do you mean posing then drawing from the pose you made?
>>
File: oroszlan.jpg (82 KB, 546x783) Image search: [Google]
oroszlan.jpg
82 KB, 546x783
>>2522247
>for adults
plebs
i am coloring this
>>
What's strange to me is that even comic book publishers like Marvel and DC are pitching into the fad with their own coloring books. DC even released comics with variant covers to color in.

>>2522339
Where would you sell them though?
>>
File: p05.jpg (1 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
p05.jpg
1 MB, 2550x3300
Im actually doing an Adult Coloring book right now.

you can get the pages for free right here

https://www.patreon.com/DarkArtsStudio?ty=h
>>
These seem useful to me for experimenting with colors.
Too bad I can1t print them on watercolor paper.
>>
>>2522989
$1.50? I make that in 10 seconds or less.
>>
>>2523004
they're free bub. you dont understand how Patreon works do ya?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.