[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys Don't visit here (at all), but I have a question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (797 KB, 2560x1702) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
797 KB, 2560x1702
Hey guys

Don't visit here (at all), but I have a question on behalf of a co-worker. Her daughter is great at drawing, and she's always showing off her works in the office. Most recent one was of Raven from teen titans and I thought it was really spot on. I want to encourage her daughter to get more into drawing; she's already talking about being a cartoonist when she gets older.

Whets a good budget, but semi-professional set of colored pencils I could gift her? I'm a pretty big cartoon viewer and the girl has talent. If I can help germinate that skill with some tools it would be awesome.
>>
>>2521246
That's a nice gesture for you to do.

How old is she? If she's not too young then maybe an educational book would be a better gift since it will help more for reaching a professional level by giving some good guidance. Though you need to be careful of which on you buy, and if she is younger then it probably won't be interesting to her.

But probably the best bet is to just get a nice sketchbook for her, maybe a Moleskine or something. Coloured pencils are a bit lame and tend to shatter and have other problems. A sketchbook she can fill on her own any way she likes.
>>
>>2521264

She's a younger girl, around 10 I would imagine. A sketchbook might be a better idea. Aside from better pencils she also talks about getting a better canvas to draw on. Have any suggestions on a moderately decent sketchbook?
>>
>>2521293
Go into an art store and feel the paper yourself. You want something that doesn't feel too cheap and thin. Probably get something that's relatively smooth and not too textured since she won't be using charcoal or anything. I already mentioned Moleskine as a brand, they are a little bit expensive but are very good quality with a very smooth and thick paper (they have different types though, so make sure to get the sketchbook one and not the kind with lined paper or thin paper). Personally I avoid spiralbound sketchbooks because they cause the paper to rub against itself and can smudge all the drawings, so try to get one bound like a book.

If she paints and wants canvases, then you can pick up some canvas boards. They're basically a thick stiff cardboard with canvas glued on, and are a few bucks each (so cheaper than a stretched canvas) and are thin and more portable and can take more abuse.

You can also talk to the employees and ask for help.
>>
File: 1397150179484.jpg (96 KB, 567x600) Image search: [Google]
1397150179484.jpg
96 KB, 567x600
You're a cool dad, hope she gets goot at drawing! When the time comes, she'll need to start studying art to become a pro, then show her this copypasta:

1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and do all the exercises.
4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.

There you go, with 4 hours of focused practice a day (don't check your smartphone every 30 seconds) this training will last a whole year or a bit more. Also you need money to buy the books and a cintiq or intuos pro and ellipse templates etc.

After you complete that just do what you want for a while, explore styles, what you like to paint and such. THEN make a list of the things you are not good at and you want to learn and get to it.

Official list of /ic/core artists you have to like in order to not be a pleb (Classics not included):

>Zedig: http://zedig.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
>Peleng: https://www.artstation.com/artist/peleng
>Mike Azevedo: https://www.artstation.com/artist/mikeazevedo

And these are optional, which means their art can be generic fantasy but their technical skills are fucking impressive:

>Ruan Jia: http://ruanjia.deviantart.com/gallery/
>Dave Rapoza: http://daverapoza.deviantart.com/gallery/
>Jaime Jones: http://www.artpad.org/gallery/portfolio/
>Craig Mullins: http://www.goodbrush.com/

There you go, enjoy.
>>
>>2521321
OP this is a good way to get someone to lose interest in art. Don't try to force this on someone.

Also your list of artists is dumb for a number of reasons.
>>
>>2521324

There's no pressure on my end, just doing nice for a friends kid who I see a little talent in. If she sticks with it, good. If not she'll have a nice memory of getting something cool when she was really into a hobby as a kid.
>>
>>2521326
Yeah that's the best way about it and really awesome of you. I was just warning to definitely avoid doing something autistic like that anon was suggesting with a huge book list of incredibly dry exercises and telling them to do it all and practice for 4 hours a day. Especially at age 10 that's a one way ticket to quitting art forever.
>>
>>2521246
>Start drawing
>colour
>>
>>2521246
Colored pencils kinda suck, but I guess prismacolor premiers are a good brand. Pair those with a toned sketchbook and a fineliner or brush pen.

Markers are one of the best mediums for cartoon drawings, but you need to buy many in order do full works with them.

A good artbook could provide lots of inspiration too.
>>
>>2521246
I say get her a sketchbook. This way she can keep and treasure her drawings.

Hell, why not just get both the coloured pencils and the sketchbook?
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>2521246
Polycromos.

Not prismacolors, because they're liable to break. You don't want to be tasked with sharpening every minute!
>>
>>2521526
FB Polychomos are a bit too much for a 10 yo, don't you think? Faber Castell Classic (the red box branch) coloured pencils are more suitable for that age, I would say. Besides, if OP is living in USA, I've been told that PC are expensive as fuck and hard to find.
>>
File: 1454294227813.png (1 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454294227813.png
1 MB, 1080x1080
damn.... do you guys remember tinybrush? I wish she would come back...
>>
>>2521545
I was just about to ask OP if his coworkers daughter was tinybrush
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.