[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to form my own 'Style'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: jepat.png (29 KB, 419x347) Image search: [Google]
jepat.png
29 KB, 419x347
I've been trying for so long to try to make something original and this is as far as I have gotten. I have no idea how I am going to make anything definitive or interesting that doesn't look like a cheap copy of a prexisting artist/style.

I need to be able to make something consistent and streamlined with what I have established with my doodle here.
>>
>>2504234
I don't know if you're a beginner but if you are then beware of the danger that exists if you create your style so early. When you don't know the basics and you're trying to make a style, it will pretty much lock you. You won't be able to draw in any other style. You have to learn the boring shit first then you'll have plenty of inspiration to create your own unique way of drawing.

Here's what you need to do:

-Learn the basics
-Use reference
-Learn how to draw realistically
-Never compare your work to others

After you do this, your style will naturally pop out.
>>
File: art.png (26 KB, 1151x687) Image search: [Google]
art.png
26 KB, 1151x687
>>2504725
What do you do if you've been drawing for years on end and have overstylized works? do you just start anew and keep your stylized doodles on the side as you do fundamentals, or are you screwed?
>>
You should be focusing on learning to draw and familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals FIRST, before trying to come up with your own 'style.' That will come with time.
>>
>>2505174
You start over as if you have never used a pencil in your life. that's what I did
>>
>>2505174

Start over. Your time doing stylized stuff won't just be wasted, you'll ideally have things like line control and whatever other little elements you picked up from your style.
>>
>>2505185
>That will come with time.

It won't. If all you ever do is draw realistically, then that's all you can do. Stylization needs to be studied and requires a lot of work to get good at, just like anything else.

>You should be focusing on learning to draw and familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals FIRST

Not OP, but it really would be nice if we could just once discuss a more advanced topic without the parrots constantly going "study the fundamentals". That is a given. Can we just all assume that you have to study the fundamentals before procceeding and then focus on the actual question at hand?
>>
>>2504725
i needed this when i started , but somehow i fixed my mistake in the end . Last year i did the right thing and I stared with basics and i've improved alot. And yes , somehow i locked my style like in idiot. But in my opinion , you can change it if you copy alot of different styles for a while , you can change it . For whole 6 months if you do that , i can assure u , your style will change. BUT i definitly agree when you say that you should start with basics first.
>>
>>2507080
>Stylization needs to be studied and requires a lot of work to get good at, just like anything else.

You're not wrong, but I think the principle is "if you spend time doing your fundamentals, you'll learn a workflow."
Workflows often end up being a 'style', an efficient way to represent X. You'll get plenty of these things, where you do something slightly different because it's easier or you like the way it looks more. That's the stuff you can refine into a style. Doing realistic drawings doesn't mean doing photocopies, anon.
Not to mention if you spend some time learning your fundamentals you'll be better able to decide what elements to study for a style. It's far easier to stylize something you're familiar with.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.