[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I guess it's true isn't it? There's really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: upon_2.jpg (800 KB, 700x869) Image search: [Google]
upon_2.jpg
800 KB, 700x869
So I guess it's true isn't it? There's really no secret schedule you can utilize huh? Hell, even teachers can't do much except point out flaws and have you focus on them. You really do just have to draw a lot.... I mean, it's slightly more specific than that but not by much.

You have to learn and apply what you've learned and repeat applying so you've got it down. When you attempt to draw thing, you need to look for the mistakes in that thing and focus on improving it.

That's all there really is to it? I guess me and plenty of others try to find some secret recipe and that whole time we're looking too much into art we lose valuable time drawing and painting. Take it from me fellas, there isn't much to it; art is just repetition.
>>
>>2279670
Obviously there's a lot more to it than just repetition and hours. How many people have you seen "grinding" for hours each day for years and they still aren't producing anything noteworthy? Even Harold Speed talks about those guys so it's nothing new.

That being said, there aren't any shortcuts still and a large number of hours are required, they just aren't the sole thing responsible for mastery.
>>
Art is understanding my man
>>
>>2279678
Well obviously, you have to get out of your comfort zone and try different subjects and angles and go from figures to heads to enviros but honestly I think most of us already know what we need to do. I have yet to actually get an answer for specific schedules that are effective, even from a mentor I paid $50 a month to help me. All he could recommend was general advice and it mainly boiled down to "well if you wanna do X, you gotta learn about X and then draw a lot of X". Matt Kohr, Proko, Vilppu, Loomis... that's all you really need and from there it's just up to you to work your ass off.
>>
>>2279670
And taste, developed by finding other art you love and understanding what about that art makes it appealing to YOU
>>
>>2279681
Most people didn't have specific schedules. And a schedule that works for one person may not work for another. The most effective schedule is the one that works for YOU. Which usually means years of experimentation and such until you start to figure out what you want and what you need to do to get there.

So no, there is no one-size-fits-all schedule that is objectively better than every other one.
>>
it's all about personal development
getting gud is about resilience, taking challenges as an habit, the most painful road everyday
doing good things (with value) is about solving problems with passion, confidence, joy and freedom

everything else is consecuence of that simplicity
>>
motivation is also a factor, I have spent the better part of 2 years working up to a passable level yet I have never felt so burned out on painting as I do now
>>
>>2279751
Motivation is the only factor mate. It's what's going to get you to sit in that chair for hours, to study things you're bad at for hours, to stick with it for years without seeing any sign of the other side. The perfect schedule may help optimize your learning process but it wont make a lazy person into mullins. Even someone with a bad schedule will still make it because they'll find the time to put in because they're motivated.

>>2279670
I wouldn't worry about the "perfect training regiment" OP and just make sure you have what it takes mentally to put in 10+ hour days, study, client work, deadlines, etc. You'll have to work up to it but as long as you have the motivation to push yourself you'll get there one day.

The process is so slow, it's going to take a long time, accept it.
>>
>art is just repetition.

Depends on what you repeat. You won't git gud on the basis "draw every day" if you're drawing the same shit the same way.

There isn't a 'git gud quick' trick though there are efficient ways to get better (you've surely heard the saying study smart not hard).

But yes in principle you're right. You'll learn more from drawing than reading how to draw. You'll learn the most from reading on what you have trouble with and then putting it into practice shortly after reading it so that you internalize it.
>>
>>2279670
Why do you think that you know how to git gud?
It's not like you git gud already.
>inb4 yes I did
Post your work.

>>2279678
>How many people have you seen "grinding" for hours each day for years and they still aren't producing anything noteworthy?
None.
Names of those people, or it didn't happen.
>>
>>2279837
>>2279678

I also would like to know the name of these artists who grind but get nowhere. (actual study grinding, not just spending years painting the same thing over and over)

Sounds to me like an excuse to not work hard.
>>
>>2279856
>>2279837
why would the names of talentless artists be known? isn't the point that they remain obscure because they don't improve?

he never said you shouldn't work hard, just that you should work smart.
>>
>>2280226
>why would the names of talentless artists be known?
Because it's fucking weird to spend lots of time on something without improving.
Because >>2279678 claimed to encounter many of those people.
Because there are talentless artists who are known to the community, despite being shit. Pic related. (it doesn't count as an example I'm asking for though - author of this picture is mentally ill).
>>
No use repeating mistakes. I drew every day in highschool for three years and was complete shit because I had no fundamental knowledge. I was your stereotypical self-entitled "IT'S MY STYLE" idiot who thought he was good because that's what people told me. It wasn't until recently that I picked up art again,and actually studied and understood fundamentals. In the past 6 months or so I've improved so much more than those three years in HS, even though I haven't been drawing everyday. Basically, shit isn't worth shit even if you polish it.
>>
File: GOD DAMMIT.jpg (194 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
GOD DAMMIT.jpg
194 KB, 1000x1000
Sycra Yasin has been drawing for >12 years. He has the capability to make great art, but likes this weird pseudo-manga "pointy style". I like the guy but damn his stylisation choices are fucking weird. Pic related, he made them both.
>>
>>2279856
dan warren
>>
>>2280398
>i want people to look at the face focal point
>lets just use fucking arrows
>>
>>2280399

Miles Johnston, Jonathan Rector, Noah Bradley, Dan Luvisi, Sinix, Mike Corriero, Sycra, Dan Warren, Alex Negrea, and a lot more.... Most artists hit a certain level and don't progress anymore.

I think it comes to experimenting new things, all those artists got comfortable with what they do and never tried anything new since.
>>
>>2279791
I gave up motivation.
If I wait for it, I'll do something today and nothing tomorrow, demotivated...
I can love, I can observe and make things without motivation. It's important to do what you want to do. It's important to have an habit...
Wait for motivation is nothing! Yu can move your ass creating an habit, even demotivated. Maybe you find some in the way.
>>
>>2279670
Yes, it's true. All of it. LOOMIS. No jobs. They're real.
>>
>>2279837
>>2279856
>>2280311
If you ever spent any time on forums back in the day you would have seen huge numbers of them. They'd update their sketchbook threads daily with tons of work and post for years and still be doing work that was beginner tier. These guys exist, they just aren't known because they are bad.

And then as >>2280422 points out it is easy to plateau too. So some may reach low pro levels then get stuck there and never reach mastery.
>>
>>2280311
>Because it's fucking weird to spend lots of time on something without improving.
No it's not. Continuously improving is the exception here. Mostly it's just shitty practice habits, mindlessly repeating what already works.

To improve one must never let up practicing that what one is bad/less skilled at. But that sucks. Hard. So people don't do it, or stop doing that after a whiel. Can you blame them? Who wouldn't want to actually enjoy their craft after devoting so much time to it...

>lol but I am enjoying what I'm doing, anon.
Then you aren't practicing hard enough faggot and you'll never get anywhere.
>>
>>2280520
>lol but I am enjoying what I'm doing, anon.
>Then you aren't practicing hard enough faggot and you'll never get anywhere.
Jesus Christ. Are you people into self-flagellation here? Even pros enjoy drawing.
>>
>>2280398
he took the ridiculous proportioned captain america profile and fucking k-on as reference to make vegeta
it's fucking gold top kek
>>
>>2280538
You obviously know nothing about deliberate practice.

There's a big difference between drawing for fun and practicing, just as there's difference between playing scales on a musical instrument and playing for fun, between doing physical exercises and playing football, or between memorizing complex chess structures or strategies and playing chess with a friend.

One of those activities is a hard labor designed to make you better and the other one is a form of relaxation.
If your "practice" is enjoyable, then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>2280569
Deliberate practice and fun are not mutually exclusive. If you hate every second of it then you are probably doing something wrong or maybe art just isn't for you.
>>
Just use your brain faggots.

Be analytical, be critical, summarize the material, apply the material, recite the material, etc.

lrn2study
>>
>>2280569
>If your "practice" is enjoyable, then you're doing it wrong
>people actually believe this

LMAO
>>
>>2280569
I have never had a bad time drawing or painting. If it's grueling work, you're doing it wrong. Obviously major projects with deadlines are going to require you to grind and might stress you out, but regular practice sessions should be enjoyable. If they aren't consider engineering or something.

tl;dr If your practice ISN'T enjoyable, then YOU are doing it wrong.
>>
>>2280903
>tl;dr If your practice ISN'T enjoyable, then YOU are doing it wrong.
I think this is also an absolute wrong mentality.
I only began to get good because I pushed through my extreme displeasure with practicing. In time things got easier, I got more successful and began to enjoy practice.

There is no rule like
>If your practice ISN'T enjoyable, then YOU are doing it wrong.
or
>If your "practice" is enjoyable, then you're doing it wrong
it's just
If you're not enjoying your practice don't sweat it, try to think about what you're drawing and keep pushing. If you do happen to enjoy it, make sure you're not slipping into your comfort zone, think about what you're drawing and keep pushing.
>>
>>2281849

This guy fucks.

I struggled on a painting for 4 fucking hours not knowing what was wrong with it. I was ready to give up on it, but then my instructor took 1 minute to point out everything that I needed to fix. The next 5 hours I spent on it were incredibly enjoyable because I knew what to do and I could see the progress with each brush stroke.

I'm really proud of the finished product because it's the best I've done so far, even if it's not very good. I wouldn't have felt as good about it when I had the breakthrough if I hadn't struggled and been upset - because the relativity of emotions is what separates them from each other.

It's like the anon I quoted said - you just have to push through the struggle - and I would add you need a teacher with a good eye to give you honest crits so that you are struggling for the least amount of time necessary.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.