[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to receive my payment and, as I have started one month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 51PbJKIAMzL.jpg (59 KB, 418x500) Image search: [Google]
51PbJKIAMzL.jpg
59 KB, 418x500
I am going to receive my payment and, as I have started one month ago in an art school and am beginning to learn how to draw. I like to read and write (that’s my main goal and the area of activity on which I invest most of my energy) but decided to expand my knowledge of art to the visual arts, not in a deeply serious mood, but more on a ludic vein. I am thinking in buying some books that will help me to learn faster.

I don’t have much money, but I am thinking in buying some 5 or 6 books. I want to ask you guys who have already years of experience with drawing the following question:

>If you could buy, let’s say, only 6 books on drawing, what books would you buy? What are the absolute best books,the ones that are indispensable to you, the ones that you keep using and reading for years?

One that I bought and that is truly helpful is Perspective Made Easy, but I need more. Can you guys and girls help me?
>>
If you just started drawing now as you've entered art school you are not going to make it, family.

Get your ass out of there and maybe go back in 4 years after some free-study.
>>
>>2276240
>I am going to receive my payment and, as I have started one month ago in an art school and am beginning to learn how to draw. [.......]

*I am going to receive my payment and, as I have started one month ago in an art school and am beginning to learn how to draw, I decided that I should invest on some written knowledge and technical manuals.
>>
>>2276243
>If you just started drawing now as you've entered art school you are not going to make it,

It’s not a Art University course, is a simple course given in a small town by a professor who is a professional artist but need other sources of income.

I am not completely new to drawing. I am 28 now, but I have started drawing and modeling clay when I was a child and continued up to the age of 18. Leonardo da Vinci was my first personal hero. However, after I discovered literature and began to get more and more interested in words I abandoned drawing and focused mostly on writing. I have already published one work and am finishing the second one, but I don’t draw for almost 10 years.

I have still some memory stored in my brain, some neuron formations that still exist, but that’s it. Also, I progressed a lot when I was young, but after a while I got stuck in a place where I was unable to move forward: I needed training with professionals, but I gave up even before starting because I needed more time to read and write.

I am coming back now to drawing not to be a great master, but just to have fun and learn some new forms of expression. There is a lot that can be stated with image. For example: I began a notebook about brain structures, neuroscience and psychology, and lots of times I am tempted to draw in order to better explain to myself the concepts, but my limitations of skill are a problem: If I had some more knowledge of drawing I could learn better some concepts of brain anatomy and structure.
>>
>>2276240

Please, give me some help: I was thinking in the best books about some of the following topics:

>Anatomy

>Light and Shade

>Facial Expressions

>Color

>The Line and The form (how to model the images and make them look tridimensional)

>Landscape drawing, botanic drawing
>>
>>2276292
>Anatomy
I would get more than one book on figure drawing/anatomy. Some of my favourites are Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Peck, Constructive Anatomy and The Human Machine by Bridgman, Figure Drawing and Invention by Hampton, Vilppu Drawing Manual.

>Light and Shade
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/
Read that site, and do still lifes and mastercopies. James Gurney's Color and Light is good but doesn't go very in depth and all the info can be found in his archived blog posts.

>Facial Expressions
Probably not worth buying a book on at the moment. Learn to draw the head before learning facial expressions.

>Color
See comment above on Light and Shade

>The Line and The form (how to model the images and make them look tridimensional)
Go to life drawing and copy masters.

>Landscape drawing, botanic drawing
Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting
>>
I have a list. If someone have links to PDF’s of any of these, please, give us. The anatomy books are specially great.

>The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Perspective On the Classical Tradition, by Anthony Ryder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823003035?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement, by Valerie L. Winslow

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823024156?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Secret Language of Color: Science, Nature, History, Culture, Beauty of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Violet, by Joann Eckstut and Arielle Eckstut

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579129498?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression, by Gary Faigin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823004325?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Drawing Nature, by Stanley Maltzman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0891345795?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2QVWT0ESGUXPH
>>
>>2276240
>on a ludic vein
>I am thinking in buying some 5 or 6 books
So what language do you write in?
>>
>>2276383
>So what language do you write in?

Portuguese. But as a writer I am practically a non-entity: I don't think anybody has read my book from beginning to end yet.

I was just giving up buying the books: the dollar price is too high, and the conversion would make the value of the manuals skyrocket.

I wish I could get some of them on the internet.
>>
>>2276552
Cgpeers
Torrent the shit out of learning art.
Stop being a fag and go draw.
>>
>>2276695
stop name dropping that site you newtard
>>
>>2276306

I started at age 30 two years ago with no prior experience in art other than music. I can tell you right now not to stretch yourself so thin. Focus on one or two topics for a few months until you fully understand those topics and can draw to a decent degree. Then carefully go into another topic while STILL practicing the other two topics. If you overwhelm yourself this early you're going to get confused and burnt out. Your brain will take months to adjust to the things you're learning.

Also DRAW A LOT. Draw more than you study. For every hour you study a topic draw for 3 hours. Don't think for a second just because you heard some advice or read how to do something that you can automatically do it. Practice it until you can do it in your sleep. Take it from me. I spent my first year feeling around in the dark and it was a confusing time. I was trying to learn too many topics at once and not getting why I wasn't retaining information. I almost quit but decided to stick it out. Turns out the secret is just drawing the same things over and over again until your brain hurts before moving on to another subject. So do just that.
>>
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Keys to Drawing
Perspective Made Easy
Drawing the Head and Hands
Anatomy for the Artist
Color and Light
>>
>>2278052

thsnk you for that
>>
>>2276713
Cgpeers
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.