[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overdetailing/Overrendering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Painting 243.png (598 KB, 494x996) Image search: [Google]
Painting 243.png
598 KB, 494x996
Hey /ic/,

Was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or opinions on overrendering stuff. The majority of the work I do tends to be paintings, and I find that I often render everything within the piece to a uniform (excruciating) level of detail. While I do think this often gives results that are fun to get lost in as a viewer, I also find the time I spend rendering wall textures, individual strands of grass or wrinkles on somebody's clothes is considerable, especially when I could have spent it getting a head start on my next piece. Looking for varying thoughts and opinions on over-rendering stuff (is it good? Is it bad?) as well as examples of artists that have some sort of notable technique in this specific respect.

Pic unrelated!
>>
>>2500878
>and I find that I often render everything within the piece to a uniform (excruciating) level of detail.

Your focal points should always have more detail than the rest of your painting, regardless of your preference of how much rendering you want to do. The more time you spend on the surrounding stuff, the tighter your focal points have to read for the image to work. Even if you look at some incredibly detailed master paintings, or those chinese guys who love to go crazy on rendering and details, you always see the hands, the face and other focal points to be pushed one step further than the rest.
>>
>>2500896
Any suggestions on particular master painters or Chinese guys that love to go crazy on rendering that make good examples of this principle? Thanks for the info.
>>
>>2500896

>should

In the very particular style of realist painting you are talking about, yes.It's not a hard and fast rule by any means.
>>
File: Church_Heart_of_the_Ande1s.jpg (3 MB, 3787x2080) Image search: [Google]
Church_Heart_of_the_Ande1s.jpg
3 MB, 3787x2080
>>2500906
No, it actually is a very fundamental principle and as close to a hard rule as you can get in representational art. The only exception to that rule would be hyperrealist and photorealist painters whose only goal it is to recreate a photo pixel by pixel.

>>2500903
Ruanjia, HGJart and their countless clones come to mind.

As far as traditional masters go, the Hudson river school painters used that technique a lot in their paintings. Very detailed landscapes, but controlled detail that leads your eye to the focal points, the areas of high contrast, whereis the areas in shadow or in the distance are much less detailed and give the eye areas to rest. Someone like Bouguereau is also great to study this principle. Though he's a bit further on the painterly side, where he will render the shit out of his focal points, but then goes surprisingly loose in non focal point areas with implied detail.
>>
>>2500878
Tight rendering always seems to kill a piece for me. It makes things unappealing and boring. With digital it seems easy to fall into this trap.
>>
Regarding this particular piece.
I like it how you made the path more detailed since it's the focal point.
Left and right of it you added less, do the same thing with the trees. Lessen the details as your getting to the middle and do little details (maybe just a reflex here and there).
Kinda "frame" your focal point going from details to no details. As soon as we saw it we get it that it's a pine forest, no need to add detail on the trees so much since it's not a focal point.
Imo I personally think the amount of details on the path are "just right" I like more rendered pieces.
If it really takes up much more time than you'd like consider exagerrating with light only, don't jump too deep into shades
>>
File: Dark_Queen_Guinevere.jpg (313 KB, 1236x1648) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Queen_Guinevere.jpg
313 KB, 1236x1648
>>2501053
Depends on how it's done. I personally enjoy an over-rendered piece when an artist knows what they're doing.
>>
>>2501102
If it looks good then it isn't over-rendered by definition.
>>
>>2501102
Yeah, Brad Rigney is pretty sweet. He isn't anywhere near as painterly as I usually prefer but I still like his stuff. Good mood and scene setting. He probably studies from movies a lot. And there is still a good balance/visual hierarchy in this image. It isn't off putting like a lot of those over rendering flamboyant Chinese digital painters. This has a clear delineation between character and background. A lot of the armor and clothing is actually pretty rough or just indicated. The hands are not destroyed by hard edges and highlights as would be the case with many other artists. They are fully realized but still considered as a part of the whole image. Good control all around. Brad is such a bro.
>>
>>2501102
Pic unrelated
>>
>>2502420
comment unrelated
>>
>>2502428
Comment very fucking much related it looks cheap and trashy
>>
>>2502429
now I don't know about which comment you are speaking
>>
>>2502447
stop posting if you dont know whats going on
>>
>>2502451
What's going on?
>>
can someone give me an exemple of over-detailed piece.?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.