[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is graphic design a good career choice? Or will I end up as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: what-do-graphic-designers-do.jpg (475 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
what-do-graphic-designers-do.jpg
475 KB, 850x565
Is graphic design a good career choice? Or will I end up as a starving artist? How easy is it to get a job, how high/low is the pay?
>>
There's /gd/, but in comparison to other artists jobs there seem to be a lot of graphic design vacancies.

Also depends what you are trying to do. Obviously doing only logo design won't pay you as much/steady as,say, doing layout for newspapers/magazines or doing graphic design for web.
>>
>>2499644
while there may be more openings, there will also be hell of a lot more people going for those openings
>>
>>2499644

I'm a graphic designer by trade. I'm from Chile.

It's actually pretty interesting because you don't often see two designers that do the exact same things. Everyone sort of finds their niche. For instance, I was always good working with machines, so I got a cozy job at a place that prints merch for some important companies. Event hough I know how to design stuff and illustrate children's books and comics, I do those things on the side, for private costumers. In the other hand, some of my old coworkers go into photography, frontend UX, etc.

So in the end you can always find jobs, as long as you work really hard for those. The problem is that most "creative" people are incredibly lazy (I include myself on that group), so it's not very common to see them going the extra mile.
>>
Honestly, the only way to make a living by being creative is to be good at every medium. This means knowing how to draw, paint, take photos, take photos, edit photos, design all types of things and whatever else you might need to learn as an artist.

I'm 20 years old and I just recently realized this. I almost never get jobs to draw or paint, it's 80% and 20% design.
>>
>>2501989
>I'm 20 years old and I just recently realized this.

Haven't lived much brah. You can totally make a living drawing or painting. Just takes a while. If you want the quick buck, yeah diversify your skillset. But in the long run you want to become a superpro at one particular thing.
>>
>>2501989

yeah, the reason you're noticing that you can't get jobs drawing or painting at 20 years old is because no 20yo can compete in that field. It's not because you have to be a master of every medium, it's because you have to be very good at one, and you're not yet.
>>
>>2499644
Yes, it is easier to get work than in fine art or illustration. Many of the aspiring illustrators I know got day jobs as designers when they discovered how hard and fickle illustration is.
>>
You want to be a graphic designer? It's hard
You want to be a concept artist? It's hard
You want to be a doctor? It's hard
You want to be a pilot? It's hard

Everything is hard, and picking something you don't want to do is more of a struggle than trying to survive on what you want.
>>
>>2502158

Some things are just plainly easier than others and pay more,I know people who are technically in an art job that's really low skill but pays relatively well. I understand what you mean but its gonna be a long up hill battle doing say indie comics than being a 3d modeler or rigger.
>>
>>2499644
>Is graphic design a good career choice?
It can be.

>Or will I end up as a starving artist?
Without a steady portfolio, work experience and references, yes. Start with doing freelance work to build a portfolio, then hit up some places you'd like to work and ask for some internship deal. Internships are like win-win situations because you get to learn about the field and get actual experience while the company that you're at gets free labor. Maybe your internship will end up in a job. If not, you ask to use them as a reference when looking for a job.

>How easy is it to get a job,
Depends on what you can do, what you have done in the past. Knowing how websites work is a huge leg up and a good way to make yourself more competitive. A lot of graphic designers just use Photoshop and Illustrator and want to make logos and "become an artist". You should push yourself to learn everything that you can that relates to your field and be the best at it too.

>how high/low is the pay?
Pay depends on the customer and the work that you're doing. I work in advertising and do freelance on the side and I make better pay than most of my peers.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.